Numan Athletics is an Arcade Game by Namco released in 1993. Four Numans - Sharon L'Halles from France, Harry Boffin from The United States, Masaemon Nakamura from Japan and Bongo Tembo from Kenya - take part in competitions. This is accomplished by 1 to 4 players who have to press buttons according to each competition. To pass it, at least one player must earn enough points, otherwise they have to pay a quarter to try again with lower requirements. After each round, the players' scores are compared assuming there's at least two of them, and the one with most points (or simply beats the game alone) wins.
The game received a sequel called Mach Breakers in 1995.
This game provides examples of:
- Breakout Character: Sharon became the most popular of the athletes, receiving a Bonus Boss role in Mach Breakers, being the only playable one in the mobile port, getting another cameo in Tinkle Pit's high-score screen, and getting a gashapon figurine as part of the Namco Gals Selection.
- Button Mashing: Most events requires the player to push the buttons as fast as possible for the best results.
- Clothing Damage: Sharon's loses her clothes most of the time she loses an event.
- Differently Powered Individual: These "modern-day supermen" athletes are called Numans.
- Eagleland: Harry, who performs as well as a top-class athlete would and clearly shows his American roots with strength, outfit colors, and sunglasses.
- Game-Over Man: Not for game overs (those show the athletes lying defeated), but when you screw up an event, the announcer shows up doing a disapproving gesture.
- Heroic Build: All of the guys are muscular and well-built, Bongo probably the most, while Sharon has a model's figure. They're all superhuman athletes as well.
- Instant Costume Change: When you select the character(or more like pressing Start for a character given to you), the characters instantly change from their civilian clothes into their Numan Atlhete outfit in a glow.
- Large Ham Announcer: The short guy who announces the events, who nevertheless has a booming, echoing voice.
- Leotard of Power: Sharon wears one.
- Letting Her Hair Down: Sharon lets down her Mega Twintails every time she wins.
- Mega Twintails: Sharon keeps her hair as two twintails long enough to go past her neck for the competition's purposes.
- Ms. Fanservice: Sharon. A long-haired French girl wearing a blue leotard-like outfit with a jacket which shows off her legs and rest of body, plus she suffers Clothing Damage if you fail most events.
- Pseudolympics: The Numan Athletics is a compition between all Numans. According to the announcer, the events the game shows are the finals.
- Samurai Ponytail: As part of his Japanese Samurai appearance, Masaemon has a long purple ponytail.
- Super Speed: Athletes can run at 250 km/h and clear fairly long tracks in 10 seconds.
- Super Strength: Athletes can toss missiles and push trains without breaking a sweat.
- Wall Jump: Tower Topper has athletes jump from one wall of a building to another.