Yesterday, a teenage girl by the name of Setsuna Funamori, who goes to the next school over from yours, has vanished. She was on her way home from what people believe to have been an extracurricular activity around 8:00 PM, and hasn't been seen since. Her last known location was the train station. Rumour has it domestic violence was involved.
You are Rina, a girl who heard rumours about Setsuna's disappearance. While on her way home, Rina goes to the subway and meets a girl crying in the restroom. She tries to talk to her, and the girl asks that she not leave. She even turns around and grabs Rina's hand.
Then Rina comes to on the bathroom floor. She soon finds herself in a very dark world.
The game was released on August the 6th, 2021.
The Night Way Home contains examples of:
- Always Night: The game is set at night.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Surprisingly enough for a game by Chilla's Art. Rina not only manages to return home, but she and her mother are finally able to patch up their relationship.
- Infinite Flashlight: Rina finds a flashlight on the floor of the subway restroom after coming to, and picks it up. Said flashlight never seems to need new batteries.
- Lock and Key Puzzle: Expect locked doors, and keys to unlock them.
- Notice This: Anything you can interact with has a yellow question mark over it.
- Parking Garage: The second area in the game.
- Ring Menu: How the inventory's displayed whenever it's brought up.
- Sailor Fuku: Rina wears a Japanese schoolgirl uniform.
- Save Point: Pay phones serve this purpose.
- Sinister Subway: The game starts in a regular subway, and Rina comes to in one with a ghost in it.
- Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl: Rina ends up being pursued through the game by one of these with very long legs.