You play as one or two resistance soldiers, whose family has been kidnapped by a mysterious villain called King Crimson, including their grandfather, who is a scientist, and he's being forced to build a doomsday superweapon for them.
The game was first made for Arcade Game systems and then ported to various platforms in 1990. It is an instant fireworks show with a lot of fast-paced action, unique enemies and bosses. The original arcade version made used of a rotary joystick similar to its predecessor Heavy Barrel, allowing for separate controls for aiming and moving.
Midnight Resistance provides examples of:
- Background Boss: The second boss, a squadron of fighter planes. They'll actually fly in formation in the background after every bombing run, although this only just shows to the player how many of them are left.
- BFG: Quite impressive choice of ways to do damage. Absolutely necessary for boss levels.
- Bottomless Magazines: The default gun has an unlimited ammo.
- Continuing is Painful: You lose power-ups after death.
- Degraded Boss: The first boss returns as a normal enemy as early as stage 2.
- Drop-In-Drop-Out Multiplayer: When two people play, it means more power-up keys and more enemies at the same time.
- IKEA Weaponry: Collect red keys on your way to upgrade to better weapons.
- Multiple Endings: The only difference being whichever relatives you rescue will be standing with you on the ending screen.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Your character dies instantly when hit.
- Sadistic Choice: If you have less than six keys when you reach the captured family members, you'll have to leave at least one behind to die.
- Save the Princess: The Big Bad has kidnapped the protagonists' family members.
- Shows Damage: As bosses take damage, they gradually explode and gain smoking cracks.
- Wolfpack Boss: The second boss, a squadron of fighter jets that drop bombs on the player. They don't have too much health individually and appear one at a time (with maximum two on screen) attacking only once each run, but you have to take down ten of them.