In the game, you control a car that's racing against other cars to the finish line. Your car has the ability to bump the other cars off the course (however, the other cars can do the same to yours) as well as the ability to jump over other cars and road obstructions when it reaches a certain speed.
This game provides examples of
- Car Fu: Your car is a weapon to use against other cars on the road.
- Collision Damage: Mostly with the sides of the road, with potholes, and with landing right on top of water. Other cars will simply bounce you away if you bump into them.
- Damsel in Distress: The driver's girlfriend in the NES version, which kicks off the plot of the game's story.
- Deadly Walls: The sides of the road are dangerous to touch.
- Driving Game: Of the top-down scrolling vehicular combat variety.
- Endless Game: In most versions, after level 8, levels 4-8 loop indefinitely. The NES version has an ending at level 16, but then starts over with a higher difficulty.
- Goomba Stomp: You can land right on top of other cars and crash them.
- Jump Physics: You can steer your car where you want to go when you jump.
- Pacifist Run: Going through an entire level without crashing any of the enemy cars nets you a big end-level bonus.
- Scoring Points: For crashing cars by either bumping them into the side of the road or by landing on top of them with a jump. At the end of each section, the game tallies up the amount of vehicular damage you've caused for bonus points.
- Top-Down View: All of the action in this game is seen from this view.