In the far future, mankind has successfully expanded to the far reaches of the solar system. Six planets have been previously explored in the past and people had already emigrated there. Beyond the sixth planet lies a seventh Earth-like planet, Seven Tier. Seven Tier was considered a suitable planet for humans to live, and in the process, the planet also had a large amount of energy called "Septonium". The energy company called the "Magnificence Energy Corporation", or the Magni company, turned its eyes toward the Septonium. Soon after, Magni was successful in terraforming the planet, and people began to immigrate to the planet. A Space Police agency dubbed "Mitsurugi Security Service", or MSS for short, was formed for the sole purpose of protecting Seven Tier and its people. Alex Heatburn and his partner Margaret Whitetail are both pilots for the organization, flying the FV-G27 Enforcer in their missions under the callsign "Hound 1".
A Steam and Play Station 4 port was announced for a Western release in 2020 alongside Natsuki Chronicles. The ports in question were released on September 24th, 2020. The Steam release can be purchased here.
Ginga Force provides examples of:
- 1-Up: Extra lives are available in each stage. It extends the amount of lives for each level.
- 2½D: Much like Eschatos, the game is played in a 2D plane, but also uses 3D graphics and includes segments where the the camera changes perspectives.
- Anime Theme Song: "Ginga Force".
- Anti-Frustration Features: If you lose your last life with a 1-Up on the screen, the 1-up becomes your next life.
- Bullet Hell: Just like its predecessor, this game will unleash a hailstorm of bullets on-screen. And don't get started on the unlockable Hard mode...
- Boss-Only Level: Chapter 10 simply consists of the final battle with Viridian.
- Catchphrase: Alex's "YOSHAAA!"
- Damsel in Distress: Nina is kidnapped by Viridian late in the game, along with Brown.
- Distressed Dude: Brown is kidnapped by Viridian late in the game, along with Nina. Both of them are later released, however.
- Don't Celebrate Just Yet: In Chapter 7, after barely managing to escape from the enemies, Alex takes a breath of relief... But then, Margaret warns that something's coming from behind. Enter Natsuki.
- In Chapter 9, Alex and Margaret successfully disable Viridian's battleship. However, Viridian comes out in his own personal fighter for a final showdown.
- Final Boss Preview: Tini's fighter very much resembles Viridian's fighter, featuring the similar design and same attack patterns. However, Viridian's attacks are taken up to eleven and is much harder to fight.
- It's a Wonderful Failure: Run out of time during the final battle, Viridian will manage to escape and declare, "You cannot escape your fate!"
- Macross Missile Massacre: Ghana and Serum's attacks consists of this.
- Meaningful Name: The surnames of the main protagonists, with "Heatburn" referring to Alex's Hot-Blooded personality and being a Fiery Redhead, and "Whitetail" referring to Margaret's hair color and ponytail.
- Multiple Endings: The ending narration depends on which difficulty you're playing.
Margaret: With Viridian's plot put to an end, the people of Seventh Tier were saved. His plans would later become evident to the people, Specia returned to her monitoring duties, and peace was restored to Seventh Tier. Seventh Tier had been developed for express purpose of harnessing septonium energy, and the planet could now only wait to see what the future held. Captain Brown and Nina were released safely, and in all of the confusion, Seram and Fuan were apparently able to make it back to their homesteads as well. Tini's genius in handling the situation was recognized, and she began her new life as an engineer. ...Though she would tightly monitored by Specia. And though Alex and I continue to keep working together, that's a story for another day. Anyway, until we meet again...
- On Easy, the ending is narrated by Margaret.
Alex: With Viridian's plot put to an end, the people of Seventh Tier were saved. His plans would later become evident to the people, Specia returned to her monitoring duties, and peace was restored to Seventh Tier. Seventh Tier had been developed for the express purpose of harnessing septonium energy, and the planet could now only wait to see what the future held. Nina and Captain Brown were released safely, and, once more, in all of the confusion, Seram and Fuam were apparently able to make it out as well. Resourceful, those two! Tini's genius in handling the situation was recognized, and she decided to become an engineer. ...Though she would be strictly monitored by Specia. And though Margaret and I are still working together, that's a story for another day. Well, see ya later!
- On Normal, the ending is narrated by Alex.
Nina: With Viridian's plot put to an end, the people of Seventh Tier were saved. His plans would later become evident to the people, Specia returned to her monitoring duties, and peace was restored to Seventh Tier. Seventh Tier had been developed for the express purpose of harnessing septonium energy, and the planet could now only wait to see what the future held. Captain Brown and myself were released without incident. Alex and Margaret do not speak much of the events which recently transpired, but the two of them are no doubt heroes of all of Seventh Tier. Though I plan on continuing down this path, that's a story for another day. Well then, until the day we meet again!
- On Hard, the ending is narrated by Nina.
- Mythology Gag:
- The protagonists work for Mitsurugi Security Service, the name referring to the first and later, final boss of Judgement Silversword.
- If the player has a save file for Eschatos, they can unlock the main and wide shots from Eschatos to use for their Enforcer, which also modifies its appearance to look like the Arcam, the player ship from Eschatos.
- Some of the music calls back to other Qute Corp. games - the boss track "Bust A Move" features segments with similar composition and synths to "Point of No Return" from Eschatos.
- Nintendo Hard: It is a Bullet Hell game, after all. The hardest difficulty, on the other hand, gives us even more bullets that are much harder to dodge and you must inflict more damage on the enemies and bosses.
- Oddly Small Organization: MSS seems to be such. Being a security company you'd expect them to have a little more members, but the only ones shown are Alex, Margaret, Brown, and Nina.
- Old Save Bonus: The main and sub-shot weapons from Eschatos can be bought and used if a save file of Eschatos is detected. The combo of the two weapons even makes the Enforcer◊ look like the FV-30MZ Arcam.
- Production Throwback: The 1-up becoming your next life if you lose your last life with it on the screen is in reference to its second-degree Spiritual Predecessor Judgement Silversword, which has the exact same feature.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Alex, the hot-headed and passionate pilot, and Margaret, Alex's more laid back and level headed partner.
- Screaming Warrior: Alex and Viridian in the final battle.
- Spider Tank: Huan pilots one in Chapter 6 to hijack a shuttle, along with smaller variants.
- Time-Limit Boss: Every Boss Battle is accompanied by a time limit.
- Villainous Breakdown: Once Alex and Margaret disable Viridian's battleship and start foiling his plans, he completely loses it and spends most of the final battle yelling and ranting at the two.Viridian: It's your fault... IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! YOU'VE DESTROYED MY PLANS!!! I'll send all of you... ALL of you straight to hell!
- What Happened to the Mouse?: What happened to some of the characters after the events of the game is unclear. In the case of Natsuki, it was unknown what happened to her following her boss battle, but Natsuki Chronicles finally gives an explanation. In the case of Jack, it was at least mentioned in passing that he was to be apprehended by another group.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Margaret seems to have a fear of spiders, as the small mechs that have hijacked the shuttle in Chapter 6 are in the form of spiders.