Eragon, the first book in the Inheritance Cycle, spawned a movie, which in turn spawned a game. Different versions of the game were released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, Xbox, Microsoft Windows, Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, Game Boy Advance, and mobile phones.
This game provides examples of:
- Adaptation Distillation: Just about everything from the movie and a lot of stuff from the book, which the movie cut, is here. This includes Eragon's fight with Arya.
- Big Damn Heroes: Eragon saves Brom several times, including a Ra'zaac attacking Brom. Saphira saves them both quite a bit. The first three Saphira levels are her Big Damn Heroes Moments. Brom jumps in front of an attack Durza is doing, which kills him.
- Chekhov's Gun: There is a magic statue in Carvahall. Of course players who don't know what it is (read: just about everyone on their first playthrough) will soon forget about it.
- Doomed Hometown: More like doomed home. Your house gets burned.
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: The same attack of Durza's that kills Brom only deals 10 damage to Eragon.
- Samus Is a Girl: Eragon doesn't find out Saphira's gender until he kills his first Kull.
- Sheathe Your Sword: Played with. When Farthen Dur is under attack, to advance in the game you have to run away.
- Story and Gameplay Segregation: Five seconds away from home Eragon decides he won't get there in time.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: You can shoot squirrels to kill them. You can also shoot the chickens in Therinsford. They explode.