Broken Sword: The Angel of Death is the fourth game in the Broken Sword series. George finds himself in a series of dangers as the mysterious woman Anna Maria crosses his ways.
These tropes can explain everything:
- Accidental Misnaming: Archie calls George by various names.
- Arc Words: "Only those whose faith is true will be saved".
- Bad Habits: Mevlut and Nico dressed up as priest and nun to visit George before his execution. The latter does this to save George.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Monsignor Devlin and Father Gregor.
- Big Damn Heroes: Archie, Brother Mark and the Martino crime family.
- Bomb Disposal: George and Brother Mark attempt to defuse the bomb inside Anna-Maria's apartment.
- Caught on Tape: This is how Mevlut finds out about George and Anna-Maria entering to Topkapi Palace at night.
- Chekhov's Boomerang: The game has the golf club. It is the first item to be picked up and you can show it to anyone in case they might be interested in buying it. It is also the last item to be used in destroying the Ark of the Covenant's cherubs.
- Closet Geek: Brother Mark is obsessed with action movies, especially films starring Lucy Chu.
- Concept Art Gallery: As rewards after the ending credits.
- Cult: The Order of St. Michael.
- Cut Short: The ending.
- Deadly Gas: The chamber where the Ark of Covenant is stored has this.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: Near the end, Anna-Maria dies in George's arms after she kills Mevlut.
- Doomsday Device: The Ark of the Covenant.
- Downer Ending: The ending has George holds dying Anna-Maria on his arms. Nico says that there's nothing they can do to save her.
- Drowning My Sorrows: George does this way after he thinks that Nico is dead and saying that he wants to be killed. The next day, he finds out Nico in Anna-Maria's apartment and fainted.
- Drunken Song: George sings one of these after drinking too much beer.
- The Dulcinea Effect: Maynard helps Nico to escape from the mafia in Phoenix.
- Elvis Impersonator: One of the members in Martino gang is guarding the hallways in New York hotel.
- Fallen-on-Hard-Times Job: George becomes a bail bondsman in New York.
- Flashback: At the beginning of the game, Moses uses the Ark of the Covenant for the ceremony.
- Foreshadowing: George and Anna-Maria have this conversation while trying to get the manuscript in Alfonso's hotel:George: Don't worry, I'll figure out a way. Trust me.
Anna-Maria: I do...with my life.
George: Hey, I wouldn't go that far.
- Four Is Death: Angel of Death.
- Gray Rain of Depression: The opening has a scene where George runs back at the office in the middle of the rain.
- Hacking Minigame: Introduced in this game.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Anna-Maria.
- How We Got Here: George explains that he's captured by Mevlut due to the stealing of Ark's cherub in Topkapi Palace.
- Human Sacrifice: The Ark needs a human interface (particularly women) to be activated such as Nico and summon the Angel of Death.
- I Know Karate: Brother Mark, who studied Tai Chi, ju-jitsu and Korean kick-boxing.
- I'm Dying, Please Take My MacGuffin: Cardinal Gianelli is shot by Gregor but he manages to give the manuscript to George on time.
- Improvised Zipline: George and Nico used this way to get out of Turkish prison.
- Infodump: George reads the history of The Knights Templar and The Ark of the Covenant on his PDA after hacking André's historical database.
- I Should Write a Book About This: Eamon O' Mara published a book about George and Nico's adventures in the third game and becomes a celebrity.
- Laser Hallway: The Topkapi Palace has those lasers.
- Love Redeems: Anna-Maria helps George to stop the Order of St. Michael from using the Ark of Covenant. Sadly, it doesn't end well for her.
- The Mafia: The Martino family.
- Market-Based Title: The game is called Secrets of the Ark in the US version.
- "Metaphor" Is My Middle Name: At one point, Brother Mark claims that "terrible" is his middle name.
- Mexican Standoff: Anna-Maria and Mevlut. However, the two of them shoot each other and died after George successfully stopped the ceremony.
- The Mole: Mevlut, Father Devlin and Father Gregor.
- Naughty Nuns: Anna-Maria. Turns out she didn't take her vows after all.
- No-Tell Motel: Alfonso's hotel.
- Nuns Are Funny: Sister Angelica and Sister Margaret .
- One-Steve Limit: Averted. Besides Archie Stobbart there's also Archie Lonsdale.
- The Precious, Precious Car: Brother Mark's car.
- Prison Episode: George is thrown in a jail cell in Topkapi Palace by Mevlut.
- Romantic False Lead: Even though she was taken a bit more seriously as a love interest than most examples, clever fans could spot Anna-Maria as one of these from a mile off.
- Secret Circle of Secrets: The Order of St. Michael.
- Sexy Discretion Shot: George spends a romantic evening with Anna-Maria. She even asks George to "turn the angel around" and then the screen fades.
- Taken for Granite: Maynard turns into gold and shatters into pieces after he is trapped in his gold making machine.
- Timed Mission: At one point where George and Brother Mark discover a bomb and must find a way to defuse it in ten minutes.
- Treasure Map: The Templar's manuscripts.
- Wrong-Name Outburst:George: Okay Nico, here's how we planned-
George: Wha- uh, Anna-Maria! Sorry.