open/close all folders
- Several Star Wars references were made in "Pilot". Lucifer tells Chloe that his powers aren't like the Jedi mind tricks you see in the movies.
- He says he's not a Jedi, but he does spin his coin without touching it twice in the episode.
- One of the first clear shout outs to the comics, Lucifer tells Amenadiel that he "looks forward to eating his heart." This is in fact how Amenadiel meets his end in the comics. It also works as a general reference to the lore, as one of the few clear ways of killing an angel is to consume or destroy their heart.
- In "Lucifer, Stay. Good Devil", Lucifer asks Chloe if she kissed a girl and liked it.
- In "Favorite Son", the problems Lucifer rants to Linda about God and humanity were taken line-for-line (albeit paraphrased) from his comic book incarnation in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman.Lucifer: Could you begin to fathom what it was like? Eons spent providing a place for dead mortals to punish themselves. Why do they blame me for all of their little failings? They use my name as if I spend my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive. "The Devil made me do it." I have never made them do anything! Ever!
- Also in Favorite Son, Lucifer calls the Los Diablos 'Village People rejects'.
- In "Et tu, doctor?" Lucifer says he's like an onion.Lucifer I have lots of layers.
- In "A Priest Walks into a Bar", Lucifer calls the priest "Padre".
- In "Pops", Lucifer mentions Voldemort from Harry Potter among the famous patricides.
- When Lucifer is trolling Chloe with the idea that they had sex in "St. Lucifer," he mentions "I think we made Rosemary's baby."
- Also in St. Lucifer, when Lucifer strips naked to give a homeless man his clothes, he shows off the tag in the back of his suit jacket, stating that "Yes, the devil really does wear Prada!"
- Corazon's (from the episode "#TeamLucifer") real name is Mike Carey, who is the writer of the Lucifer comic series.
- The doorman in #TeamLucifer stating that he thought the Devil is blonde is another shoutout to the original Lucifer comic series.
- Lucifer's Mother first appears at the end of the Season 2 premiere, and is played by Tricia Helfer. Immediately beforehand, Tom Ellis as Lucifer sings "All Along the Watchtower".
- Chloe's bedtime story that she reads to Trixie in "Weaponiser" is Coraline, written by Neil Gaiman.
- After killing Uriel, Lucifer returns to Lux and starts playing a piano version of Metallica's The Unforgiven part 1.
- In "Monster", the groom at a zombie themed wedding is named Edgar Romero, presumably after Edgar Wright and George Romero.
- In "Trip to Stabby Town", Lucifer implores a suspect to "tell me what you want, what you really, really want".
- "Homewrecker" reveals that Ella is a fan of Star Trek.
- Another shout out to the original comic, when Amenadiel follows his mother to spy on her date with Dan (he didn't know at the time), Maze shows up wearing a white shirt with "normal consciousness will be resumed" written on it.
- "A Good Day to Die" has one to the original comic - namely, that you only end up in Hell if you honestly believe you deserve it.
- "Deceptive Little Parasite" has Lucifer sarcastically respond to Linda's questions about Heaven with "And my dad is Morgan Freeman?"
- In "God Johnson" Chloe sarcastically quotes Joan Osborne's song "One of Us". Later Ella listens and sings to this song.
- In the opening scene of "Sympathy For The Goddess" Lucifer is told he is in danger. And we get two Shout Outs in as many seconds.
- In Real Life, The American Family Association and their offshoot One Million Moms launched, and continue to carry out, a protest against the show. Neil Gaiman wasn't impressed."Ah. It seems like only yesterday (but it was 1991) that the Concerned Mothers of America announced that they were boycotting SANDMAN because it contained Lesbian, Gay, Bi and Trans characters. It was Wanda that upset them most: the idea of a Trans Woman in a comic book They told us they were organising a boycott of SANDMAN, which they would only stop if we wrote to the American Family Association and promised to reform.I wonder if they noticed it didnt work last time, either "
- In Real Life, The American Family Association and their offshoot One Million Moms launched, and continue to carry out, a protest against the show. Neil Gaiman wasn't impressed.
- In "Mr and Mrs Mazikeen Smith" a close-up at the file at the end has the name Gaudium, who is a character from the comics.
- "City of Angels?" has one to the original comics, with Maze wearing an outfit that's accurate to her comic book counterpart.
- In "Til Death Do Us Part", Lucifer mentions Wolverine when he suggests that Pierce tried to chop himself in half.
- In "All about Eve", Bashir All-Fassad is referred to as "The Concierge of Crime".
- In "Orgy Pants To Work", Amenadiel mentions the angel Castiel which is also the name of an angel in Supernatural.
- In "Super Bad Boyfriend", Chloe mentions a prophecy and Lucifer guesses maybe frogs will fall from the sky, or... winter is coming.