Midnight Sun (Midnattssol / Jour Polaire) is a French-Swedish coproduced Nordic Noir series in 8 episodes, playing in Kiruna, Sweden. It was first aired in 2016 on Sveriges Television. In 2017, it aired as Midnight Sun on SBS.
A French citizen is found murdered brutally in the countryside outside Kiruna in Lapland, Sweden. The French police sends specialist Kahina Zadi (Leïla Bekhti) to investigate the case together with the local police. In a place where the sun does not set, the ground shakes from mining explosions, and the entire city is scheduled to be moved because of the instability the mine has caused, the soon to be several bodies seem to be the least insane thing...
This series contains examples of:
- Bring My Brown Pants: The murder victim pissed himself prior to death.
- Chained to a Railway: In episode 4, some miners receive a video of a young man chained to a railway as a train approaches.
- Chained to a Rock: The first helicopter pilot is chained nude to rocks in a gully, where he is mauled by wolves.
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: Nadji, Kahina's estranged son, was raised by her mother as Kahina's younger brother.
- Never One Murder: The two protagonists investigate the murder of a French citizen, which turns out to be the first in a series of killings.
- The Worf Effect: Kahina keeps getting beat up and/or abducted, despite her awesome fighting skills.