Midnight Sun (Midnattssol/Jour Polaire) is a French-Swedish coproduced Nordic Noir series in 8 episodes, playing in Kiruna, Sweden. It was first aired in 2016.
A French citizen is found murdered brutally in the countryside outside Kiruna in Lapland, Sweden. The French police sends specialist Kahina Zadi (Leïla Bekhti) to investigate the case together with the local police. In a place where the sun does not set, the ground shakes from mining explosions, and the entire city is scheduled to be moved because of the instability the mine has caused, the soon to be several bodies seem to be the least insane thing...
This series contains examples of:
- Bring My Brown Pants: The murder victim pissed himself prior to death.
- Bi the Way: Thor
- Chained to a Railway
- Chained to a Rock
- Family Relationship Switcheroo: Nadji was Raised by Grandparents.
- Hellish Copter: Used for an execution, no less.
- Jurisdiction Friction: Discussed by Kahina. Whether it will occur between her and her Swedish colleagues remains to be seen.
- Never One Murder
- The Worf Effect: Kahina keeps getting beat up and/or abducted, despite her awesome fighting skills.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: It's not the gruesome murder scene, Burlin just gets queasy from helicopter rides. It's neither, he's being poisoned. Later, Anders tries to discuss his failed marriage with his daughter while she is violently throwing up from alcohol poisoning.