Crashing is a British comedy drama series written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge and directed by George Kane. It was produced by Big Talk Productions and commissioned by Channel 4. The six-part series premiered on 11 January 2016.
Six young adults live in a large disused hospital as property guardians. They keep the building safe in exchange for cheap rent, but they have to follow a strict set of rules.
- Louise "Lulu" (Phoebe Waller-Bridge), Anthony's childhood friend who moves into the hospital
- Kate (Louise Ford), a perfectionist who is 'anal', Anthony's fiancée
- Anthony (Damien Molony), a cook who is engaged to Kate and childhood friend of Lulu
- Sam (Jonathan Bailey), Anthony's sex-obsessed friend; grows closer to Fred
- Melody (Julie Dray), a French artist
- Fred Patini (Amit Shah), an awkward young gay man; becomes close friends with Sam
- Colin Carter (Adrian Scarborough), a divorced co-worker of Kate; becomes a 'muse' to Melody
- Will (Lachie Chapman), Fred's Australian boyfriend
- Jessica (Susan Wokoma), Kate's bisexual co-worker
- Aunt Gladys (Kathy Burke), Lulu's eccentric great aunt
The series provides examples of the following tropes:
- Bi the Way: Jessica is openly bisexual. She believes in this saying: "Everyone fucks everyone. Eventually."
- British Brevity: 1 series, 6 episodes in total.
- In-Series Nickname: Louise is invariably called "Lulu" by everybody.
- Non-Residential Residence: The characters reside in an abandoned hospital. They have some sort of legal agreement with its owners and have to obey a strict set of rules (like having no visitors or no parties; not that they truly follow those).
- Roommate Com: Crashing follows the lives of six twenty-somethings who live together as property guardians in a large disused hospital. They keep the building safe in exchange for cheap rent, but they have to follow a strict set of rules. Anthony lives with his fiancee Kate. Anthony's childhood friend Lulu moves in one room. Sam, Melody and Fred also live there. Fred is gay and Melody is an eccentric French artist. Colin, a depressed divorced middle-aged guy who is Kate's colleague becomes Melody's muse.
- Standard Office Setting: The London company called Something Events where Kate works and Lulu starts to work as a secretary. It has a bullpen setup that makes it easy for characters to communicate and interact.
- Work Com: Some episodes and story lines concern Kate's work at her job. The company is called Something Events. Colin and Jessica work there as well, and Lulu gets there a job as a secretary. Kate doesn't like having her both at home and at work.