Robin Alan Thicke (born March 10, 1977) is an American-Canadian singer-songwriter, producer, and actor. He is the son of Canadian actor Alan Thicke and American singer and actress Gloria Loring.
He got his start in the music industry as a songwriter, working with the likes of Lil Wayne and Usher, among others. In 2002, he released his debut single, "When I Get You Alone", and a year later, his first album, A Beautiful World. Although it and his following albums were successful, he remained obscure.
Things changed in 2013 when he released "Blurred Lines", the lead single to his sixth album of the same name. The song became one of the best-selling singles in history, while its music video quickly went viral, amidst considerable controversy for its content. This culminated in an infamous performance at the 2013 VMAs with Miley Cyrus. The song gained further controversy when the family and estate of the late Marvin Gaye and music publisher Bridgeport Music successfully sued Thicke and co-writer/co-performer Pharrell Williams for copyright infringement towards Gaye's 1977 song "Got to Give It Up", which led to Gaye's family earning US$7.4 million (though later lowered to US$5.3 million) in damages and Gaye receiving a songwriting credit.
Since 2019, Thicke has been one of the judges and permanent panelists on The Masked Singer.
- A Beautiful World (2003)
- The Evolution of Robin Thicke (2006)
- Something Else (2008)
- Sex Therapy: The Session (2009)
- Love After War (2011)
- Blurred Lines (2013)
- Paula (2014)
- On Earth, and in Heaven (2021)
I hate these blurred tropes!:
- Adam Westing: In his 2016 appearance on The Real Husbands of Hollywood, he parodies the troubles his career went through in 2014.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: The unrated version of the music video of "Blurred Lines" features the words "Robin Thicke has a big dick" made from balloons.
- Darker and Edgier: Unlike the video of "Blurred Lines" from 2013, his music video for "Get Her Back" from 2014 is nothing but mean text messages from his ex-wife, flashing images of Thicke crying, screaming, beating himself & drowning in water and this◊.
- Fanservice: The video of "Blurred Lines", featuring nude (or scantily clad in the censored version) models.
- Intercourse with You: "Blurred Lines". It couldn't be any more blatant, at least on the uncensored version ("I got something that will split your ass in two!").
- Looks Like Jesus: Had this sort of look in his earlier days with his shoulder-length hair paired with his facial hair as shown in this picture◊.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Has a fairly deep speaking voice, but does most of his singing in a very high register.
- Stalker with a Crush: His 2014 album, Paula is this.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: The "Blurred Lines" video features Robin, T.I., and Pharrell dancing with nude/scantily clad female models.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: T.I. in "Blurred Lines", Kendrick Lamar and 2 Chainz in "Give It 2 U", and Nicki Minaj in "Back Together".
Everybody get up! (Woo!)