Robin Alan Thicke (born March 10, 1977) is a Canadian-American singer-songwriter and producer.
A son of the late Alan Thicke, he got his start in the music industry as a songwriter, working with the likes of Lil Wayne and Usher, among others. In 2002, he released his debut single, "When I Get You Alone", and a year later, his first album, A Beautiful World. Although it and his following albums were successful, he remained obscure.
Things changed in 2013, when he released "Blurred Lines", the lead single to his sixth album of the same name. The song became one of the best-selling singles in history, while its music video quickly went viral, admist considerable controversy for its content. This culminated in a (in)famous performance at the 2013 VMAs with Miley Cyrus.
Following this, however, his life soon became embroiled in drama. In 2014, he divorced from his wife of 21 years, Paula Patton, who alleged he had a reputation for infidelity, drug, and physical abuse. The rest of the year was tumultuous; he was heckled on Twitter, the estate of Marvin Gaye filed a lawsuit, alleging that "Blurred Lines" ripped off Gaye's song "Got To Give It Up", which controversially resulted in him being forced to pay $7.4 million to the estate, and his seventh album, Paula, in part a tribute to his ex-wife, became an embarrassment to him and one of the worst critical and commerical flops of the entire decade in music. The year's events caused him to take a brief hiatus from music.
- A Beautiful World (2003)
- The Evolution of Robin Thicke (2006)
- Something Else (2008)
- Sex Therapy: The Session (2009)
- Love After War (2011)
- Blurred Lines (2013)
- Paula (2014)
Tropes relevant to his works:
- Adam Westing: In his 2016 appearance on The Real Husbands of Hollywood, he parodies the troubles his career went through in 2014.
- Bigger Is Better in Bed: The unrated version of the music video of "Blurred Lines" features the words "Robin Thicke has a big dick" made from balloons.
- Fanservice: The video of "Blurred Lines", featuring nude (or scantily clad in the censored version) models.
- Intercourse with You: "Blurred Lines". It couldn't be any more blatant, at least on the uncensored version ("I got something that will split your ass in two!").
- Singing Voice Dissonance: Has a fairly deep speaking voice, but does most of his singing in a very high register.
- Three Minutes of Writhing: The "Blurred Lines" video features Robin, T.I., and Pharrell dancing with nude/scantily clad female models.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: T.I. in "Blurred Lines", Kendrick Lamar and 2 Chainz in "Give It 2 U", and Nicki Minaj in "Back Together".