Them Crooked Vultures are a supergroup formed in 2009, consisting of the following members:
- Josh Homme, guitars and vocals
- John Paul Jones, bass, keyboards, other instruments and backing vocals
- Dave Grohl, drums, percussion and backing vocals
When playing live, they are joined by Alain Johannes on guitar, bass, keyboards and backing vocals.
Their debut Self-Titled Album appeared in November 2009, receiving good reviews and decent sales. Their style can roughly be summed up as a Genre Throwback to seventies Hard Rock, or a cross between QOTSA and Led Zep.
This band provides examples of:
- Epic Rocking: Only three of their songs didn't reach four minutes, with two ("Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up", "Spinning in Daffodils") being over 7.
- Heroic BSoD: "Scumbag Blues" describes one, inflicted by the Villain Protagonist: "You go cold, like a stare/as if no one could compare/and you will know... despair..."
- Last Note Hilarity: "Mind Eraser, No Chaser", otherwise one of their heavier songs, ends with about 20 seconds of a comical-sounding tuba march.
- Long Title: "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up"
- Man of Wealth and Taste: "Elephants". Slick back his hair, you know the devil's in there...
- Must Have Caffeine: Dave Grohl, according to this video. FRESH POTS! Apparently Grohl drank so much coffee he had to be hospitalized for a caffeine overdose.
- Non-Appearing Title: "Scumbag Blues," "Warsaw or the First Breath You Take After You Give Up" and "Interlude with Ludes".
- Rock Trio: Josh on guitar and vocals, John Paul on bass and extra instruments, Dave on drums.
- Something Blues: "Scumbag Blues".
- Toxic Friend Influence: "Dead End Friends" is seemingly about this: the singer recognising that "we're the same, my dead end friends and I", that they're engaged in "a neverending begin", yet embracing it anyway.
- Villain Song: "Scumbag Blues". The very first line is "Innocence has no resistance against the wicked counsel of such as I".