The Cam Whore is a young lady — typically pretty and nubile — who teases willing visitors on her webcam in exchange for goods, typically via their Amazon wish lists. Exactly how much a Cam Whore shows off depends on her propriety and "character", but most seem to make a healthy second income from just showing off their underwear or cleavage. Charging actual money or going into explicit sex acts takes one out of Cam Whore territory and into the actual porn bracket.
Incredibly, there is now an entirely virtual version of the Cam Whore thanks to the invention of Second Life, where people will turn their avatars into virtual strippers or lap dances in exchange for Virtual money (Lindens). This can then be exchanged for real currency.
Not to be confused with the derogatory term for people who like to take photos of themselves (and upload them on the internet) way too often, or with people who insist on being front-and-center in any picture or video taken in their vicinity.
- Kate on United States of Tara briefly becomes this during Season 2.
- Nikki on Heroes was introduced this way, with Ando being one of her more well-known watchers..
- Louis Theroux visited a camgirl as part of his documentary Twilight of the Porn Stars. The girl in question (Kagney Linn Karter) was also a porn starlet who appeared in conventionally distributed adult films, which is a pretty common form of crossover in the industry.
- A Season 43 sketch on Saturday Night Live featured a police surveillance outfit which kept losing the surveillance feed and blundering into the live feed of a couple of low-rent cam whores.
- This is one of the character classes you can choose to play in Forum Warz.
- Midori (a.k.a. Dolly) from Devil Survivor.
- In World of Warcraft, some players would strip their female Night Elf characters out of their armor and have them sexy dance on top of the Ironforge mailbox for tips.
- The entire point of Huniecam Studio is to make a camgirl empire.
- In Hero & Daughter, one of the recruitable party members, Selphie, is a livestreaming Valley Girl in an otherwise "vaguely-fantasy-medieval" RPG-Mechanics Verse. When a viewer asks her to show less cleavage, she's outraged, since that would mean less viewers.
- This is how Roz made a living in Shortpacked!. The reason she ended up moving in with Robin was because one of her viewers found her address.