open/close all folders
- Super Mario World (both the game and the cartoon)
- Super Mario 64
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario 3D Land
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Super Mario 3D World
- Super Mario Maker
- Super Mario Odyssey
- When you finally reach Peach at the end of the last level, she will give a Smooch of Victory to everyone still alive, not just Mario, or necessarily Mario at all.
- Super Mario RPG
- Paper Mario
- Mario & Luigi
- Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Adaptations in Other Media
- The first time you rescue Princess Peach in Super Mario Bros. Pictured above.
- The ending of the original Mario vs. Donkey Kong for GBA after defeating the True Final Boss: Donkey Kong breaks down crying, having failed to keep the Mini-Mario toys he had stolen from the toy factory. Mario, seeing this, takes pity on the big ape, and comforts him, even giving him a Mini-Mario toy to call his own.
- And beforehand, there's the first part of the opening scene. Even though it marks where things start going wrong, seeing Donkey Kong falling in love with the Mini-Mario Toys he sees on the TV is very uplifting. It makes sense when you consider that the newer Donkey Kong, the offspring of the original (known as Cranky Kong), is shown to be one of Mario's friends!
- It is very minor, but in one of the character pictures for Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour shows Wario and Waluigi practicing golf◊. Now, as we have seen in the trailer, Waluigi seems to be a very poor golfer (probably because it's his first time), and the picture shows him ready to strike the ball. But, you actually see Wario, being far more experienced, teaching Waluigi to golf properly by correcting his posture by using the chin-up method. It's very rare to see Wario caring for Waluigi and showing he isn't all about greed and power, even despite their constant bickering.
- In the intro for Mario Super Sluggers when DK accidentally tackles Luigi in a desperate attempt to reach home base and send him crashing to the field wall, Daisy, a Red Toad and at the entire audience gasped in shock, concerned for him. When the see that Luigi has the ball the moment he got shoved, EVERYONE cheered for him. This shows that Luigi still gets the respect he deserves.
- A brief moment in the ending of Mario Super Sluggers shows Daisy escorting Bowser and Bowser Jr. on her cruiser for the party. Granted, they received very little food at the party, but at least they were forgiven for trying to take over the Baseball Kingdom.
- In the 64 installment of Mario Tennis, Wario and Waluigi decide to crash the heroes' tournament. As things start to heat up, Bowser and Boo make a sinister entrance...and gesture for a friendly match from Mario. Why not?Mario: Hey! Let's-a-ALL play!!!
- The ending (and especially the 100% ending) of Super Mario Galaxy 2. After an untold number of years spent dealing with issues of trauma and loneliness, and two games worth of trouble caused by Bowser alone, Rosalina is finally able to return to a peaceful life with the things that undoubtedly make her happiest - her Lumas - and with the knowledge that she now has friends in the world below, a world she thought she'd long since left behind. The look on her face during that scene pretty much says it all.
- When we see the actual relationship between Mario and Luigi. Mario often overshadows Luigi and Luigi does not always get the recognition he deserves and feels jealous of his brother's fame and popularity. Despite this, the brothers are very close and would do anything for each other. Mario has shown that he's just as proud to be Luigi's brother as Luigi is to be his brother.
- Though it's not a part of the games, this tribute made for Mario's 30th Anniversary is likely the most beautiful celebration of Mario's history out there. According to the description, it was a joint effort between fans and the creators of the Mario games, making it even more heartwarming.
Congratulations Mario! You accomplished the 30 years of work. But your adventure isn't over yet. So, let's go to the next stage now!
- The Stinger can make you tear up.
- Now with a sequel which also celebrates Luigi's 30th Anniversary.
- The 25th Anniversary video for the original Super Mario Bros. also has a great ending, stating that "Mario Saves Peach Forever".
- 2013 is the Year of Luigi, which was announced by Iwata himself wearing Luigi's cap. On Valentine's Day. For more heartwarming examples related to the Year of Luigi, click here.
- This one celebrates the 30th Anniversary of the original Super Mario Bros game.
- For Valentine's Day 2014, Nintendo of America made this post celebrating Mario and Peach's relationship throughout the years.
- Some fans tend to make Heartwarming fanart of Bowser and Jr. together. Just try looking at this without going "Awwww!".◊
- On Sunday, September 13th, 2015, the world celebrated the 30th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. franchise. While that in itself is all varying kinds of heartwarming, a special mention goes to the prolific official Sonic the Hedghehog Twitter account for this tweet that speaks for itself. It shows not only that corporate rivals can come together in times of celebration, and can acknowledge and appreciate the other's history and success, but it is also symbolic of how Mario and Sonic themselves have gone from being mutual enemies to friendly rivals, appearing in each other's games, as well as Sonic having games exclusive to Nintendo consoles since 2001.
- These two fan-made comics sum up Mario and Luigi's relationship quite well. No matter how neglected Luigi feels, he will always be there for his brother, and likewise, Mario will always be there for Luigi.
- The people closest to you will see you for who you really are.
- To explain a new parental controls app that the Switch will have, Nintendo made this heartmeltingly adorable video of Bowser demonstrating this app as Jr. plays the Switch.
- Within the video itself, Bowser hesitates to suspend the software (Jr. had exceeded the set time limit) because he's worried about how Jr. will react. The narrator even acknowledges that this feature should only be used as a last resort.
- He also defends Jr. from a group of Boos (who represent internet trolls).
- The Nintendo Switch Online promotional video has the Mario gang hanging out and playing games together, and several heartwarming moments ensue.
- Bowser is playing Ghosts 'n Goblins on the subscription with Bowser Jr. wanting to play a game before looking sullen. Noticing his son's disappointed look, he gives him a controller while showing another controller, exciting his son. Afterward, both are seen enjoying and playing Ice Climber together.
- Mario is worried something might happen to Luigi's save data, so he has Lakitu back it up so nothing happens to it. Later, Toad chats with Mario over the phone while gaming and Luigi offers him game advice, and when Toad wins both he and the brothers high-five.
- Bowser Jr. and Peach play Dr. Mario (and in the update, Super Mario Kart with Junior as his dad on it) together online, much to Bowser's confusion.
- The stickers released by Nintendo from the LINE messaging app.
- From Talking Super Mario Animated Stickers set:
- Mario and Luigi high-fiving.
- Toad and Boo playing their musical instruments.
- A Yellow Toad and a Green Toad hugging each other.
- Yoshi shaking a baby rattle to comfort Baby Mario.
- From Super Mario Bros. 8-Bit Stickers set:
- Mario hitting a ? Block and a heart comes out.
- From Super Mario's Relaxing Life set:
- Mario and Peach sitting in front of a sunset with a heart outline.
- Mario and Peach dancing together.
- Peach and Daisy taking a selfie together.
- Toad serving a cake with "Congrats" written on it.
- A Goomba saying "Thanks!", with a flower on its mouth.
- Bowser and Mario high-fiving.
- Lemmy and Bowser Jr. hungry, holding their spoon and fork.
- From Talking Super Mario Animated Stickers set:
- This interview with Charles Martinet, the English voice actor for Mario. The whole thing