The Perfection is a horror film directed by Richard Shepard. The movie was released on an Fantastic Fest, and was one week later purchased by Netflix to be released worldwide through the platform.
When troubled musical prodigy Charlotte (Allison Williams) seeks out Elizabeth (Logan Browning), the new star pupil of her former school, the encounter sends both musicians down a sinister path with shocking consequences.
The movie is a twisty thriller filled with things that only make sense after a while and has many fake outs about its own genre.Given the twisty nature of the film, all spoilers are unmarked.
Contains the following tropes:
- Adult Fear: Lizzie's situation in China is this both before and after The Reveal. Before, being violently ill with a (potentially deadly) disease in a foreign country with no medical help in sight. After, being drugged and gaslit into a paranoid state by a trusted friend/lover.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Upon being cornered, Anton says he's sick and needs help. It doesn't help him.
- Amputation Stops Spread: Lizzie is made to believe this after seeing imaginary bugs crawling out from her hand.
- An Arm and a Leg: Charlotte and Lizzie both lose a limb by the end of the film, Lizzie from amputating her hand and Charlotte thanks to getting a knife through her forearm; Anton loses all of his.
- And I Must Scream: Anton is reduced to a limbless torso with his eyes and mouth sewn shut as he is made to listen to a final duet between Charlotte and Lizzie.
- And This Is for...: Lizzie to Anton as she pummels him with the sharp end of a fire poker near the end.Lizzie: This is for what you did to me... (thwack!) ...and for what you did to Charlotte! (thwack!) And this? This is for every other girl who trusted your sick, SORRY ASS!!! (thwack!)
- Battle Couple: Charlotte and Lizzie's fight against Anton cements them as a (particularly dysfunctional) version of this.
- Bittersweet Ending: Charlotte and Lizzie are both permanently disabled, but they succeed in making Anton (and every other member of the academy who was complicit in their abuse) pay, can still play musical instruments and are presumably in love, so the sweet outweighs the bitter.
- Body Horror: A drugged Lizzie hallucinates that she is vomiting maggots and has bugs crawling under her skin.
- Duet Bonding: Occurs between Charlotte and Lizzie early on. In a darker turn, one could consider their final duet one as well.
- Eye Scream/Mouth Stitched Shut: Anton's eyes and mouth are stitched up at the end.
- Foreshadowing: While Charlotte is in Lizzie's bed, the camera focus on a tattoo of a musical note on her shoulder. The tattoo means that Anton has made them his victims, and that they perform concerts for the staff of the school, while being abused.
- Genre Shift: The film is divided into different 'acts' with the tone and genre shifting throughout. At first it seems like a psychological drama, then it seems to be slipping into a zombie horror film, then to psychological thriller that seems like a cross between All About Eve and Black Swan. Then comes the twist. Essentially, it's a psychological horror.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Much of the film's violence is offscreen, with the aftermath shown later.
- Hallucinations: Charlotte induces them in Lizzie by giving her ibuprofin, which has this side effect if mixed with alcohol (she gave it to her as a hangover cure). She then makes Lizzie there are bugs crawling under her skin (literally) to trick her into cutting off her own hand.
- Hate Sink: Anton, obviously. At first he comes across as nothing more than a smug, slimy, tactless jerk, then he turns away Lizzie after Charlotte forces her to cut her hand off, saying that her talent is gone, despite the fact that amputees can still play musical instruments and then later it turns out that he's a serial rapist.
- His equally perverted henchmen, Theiss and Jeffrey count as well.
- Lipstick Lesbian: Both Charlotte and Lizzie.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Anton Bachoff (pronounced back off).
- Official Couple: For better or for worse, Charlotte and Lizzie seem to be this by the end of the film.
- Once More, with Clarity!: Each act is followed by a rewind to earlier events, revealing more of the characters' motivations and showing how certain twists were set up.
- Primal Fear: Act 2 has a lot of bug related things going on. Including the idea that Lizzie has bugs crawling inside of her.
- Psycho Lesbian: Played With- initially, Charlotte seems to be a straightforward example with her previous time in a psychiatric ward and violent manipulation of Lizzie, but the reveal of her true motivations puts this into question.
- Rape and Revenge: Charlotte and Lizzie end up teaming together to take revenge on Anton for raping them, as well as starting a whole abuse cult inside the school.
- Rape Discretion Shot: A flashback shows Anton naked about to rape Charlotte but the film cuts away before the viewer sees anything else.
- Red Herring: The airborne sickness that gets repeatedly mentioned in China; it has no actual effect on the plot beyond Lizzie's paranoia that she has contracted it.
- The Reveal: Several. Notably, that Charlotte purposefully caused Lizzie's sickness, that Anton sexually abused both women during their time as his students, and that Charlotte and Lizzie have been working together to seek revenge against him.
- Sadist Teacher: Anton is Fletcher from Whiplash with added rape for punishment.
- Slipping a Mickey: Charlotte gives what Lizzie thinks are hangover pills but is in fact seizure medicine whose side effects include vomiting and hallucinations.
- The Sociopath: Anton. A sadist ephebophile who rapes his female students when they make a mistake. He also never takes blame for his actions, justifying himself as a "taskmaster, not a monster" and "not some random pervert" but just "having a little fun". Later on, he begs for mercy and feigns remorse, saying that he is "sick" and needs help, showing that all of his justifications are bullshit.
- The Voiceless: Theiss and Jeffrey, Anton's fellow music teachers. They're supposedly great musicians themselves but we never see or hear them play, making this an informed ability.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: Lizzie is shown vomiting multiple times, as well as a man in Shanghai in act one.
- Villains Want Mercy: "I'm sick! I can get help!"
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Charlotte drugs Lizzie and makes her hallucinate that she is infested with bugs, causing her to cut off her hand. Initially believed to be because of jealousy, Charlotte did it to save Lizzie from Anton's control.