Following the death of his mother and the loss of his job, Evan (Lou Taylor Pucci) travels to Italy to get away from it all for a while. In a small coastal town, he meets Louise (Nadia Hilker), an attractive woman who is more than she seems...
This film provides examples of:
- Asshole Victim: The obnoxious American tourist seen a few scenes earlier happens across Louise as she's suffering from one of her transformations. After she doesn't respond to his highly inappropriate propositions, he prepares to rape her. She turns suddenly, and cue the Gory Discretion Shot as all we hear are his screams and loud biting noises.
- Babies Ever After: Implied.
- Body Horror: Louise's transformations. A side-effect of her regenerative abilities, she uncontrollably turns into creatures from humanity's genetic past. They can be managed with injections, or by eating raw flesh.
- Doing In the Wizard: Upon discovering Louise's true nature, Evan asks if she's one of a variety of supernatural beings. She asserts that she is human, although with a mutation that allows her to live forever. She's studying genetics to learn more about her condition, and has well-developed theories and explanations for it.
- The Fog of Ages: Louise can't remember her original name.
- Healing Factor: Louise claims to have one, but it's never shown.
- Immortal Procreation Clause: Zig-zagged. Louise can get pregnant, but after a week or so her body will assimilate the foetus, and use its cells to regenerate. Genetically speaking she's a new person (technically she becomes her own child, mixing her own DNA with the "father's"), but she retains all her current memories and maintains her apparent age. She believes this can be be prevented, however, if she is truly in love with someone; a hormone will be produced that prevents her body assimilating the foetus. She'll lose her immortality but remain pregnant, and be able to grow old with the one she loves.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty: As well as looking in her early twenties, Louise 'regenerates' approximately every 20 years, in spring.
- MayflyDecember Romance
- Really 700 Years Old: Louise. She's actually approaching 2,000 years old, since, as she reveals near the end of the movie, she was born in Pompeii, and survived the famous eruption of Vesuvius.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: All we see of the aforementioned Asshole Victim after the attack is his body on the beach. If there was an investigation into his death, we never see it.