The Portal is a fanfiction written by AWSM253. Based upon the The Legend of Spyro video games series.
Thomas Smith, a normal fifteen-year-old boy from Australia, has been stuck in Russia on a business trip with his parents for weeks. One day, he comes across a strange doorway in a dusty old basement that pulls him into the Dragon Realms and turns him into a blue dragon.
The story can be read here at Fanfiction.net.
Has nothing to do with video game Portal
This Fan Fiction contains examples of:
- Academy of Adventure: Blizzard winds up enrolling in one in Chapter 5.
- Action Girl: Storm the Wind Dragoness who falls in love with Blizzard. Cynder and Hope also qualify.
- AM/FM Characterization: Alex/Static unwittingly brings his iPod into the Dragon Realms, and he uses it to listen to music either for fun or to calm his nerves. He specifically likes listening to Owl City and The Black Eyed Peas.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The orbs which activate the portal. Once Thomas puts the last orb in its slot, the portal is activated, thus pulling him into the Dragon Realms.
- After Blizzard is infected by Zobek, Diggs installs a special gem into Blizzard's armour that slows down the infection.
- Armored Dragons: Blizzard gets his own armour which he can summon onto his body using his mind.
- Several other young dragons don armour for their battle against the Dark Ones in chapter 25.
- Badass Teacher: The teachers at the Dragon Academy are actually the Guardians of poison, fear, wind and shadow.
- Battle Couple: Blizzard and Storm have only known each other for a little while, but they can still kick butt when they need to. Spyro and Cynder also qualify for this.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: In Chapter 9 of The Portal, Blizzard says to himself that he wishes Alex could see him in his new body. Guess who happens to show up in the Dragon Realms at that exact moment.
- Beat the Curse Out of Him: This is how Fury is freed from Zobek's control. He also half-jokingly suggests that Spyro and Cynder try this on Blizzard in chapter 18:Fury: You could try beating the hell out of him. That's how he broke me out of it.
- Berserk Button: Do not hurt (or knock out) Blizzard in front of Storm. She will get pretty mad if you do that.
- Big Bad: Zobek.
- Big Damn Reunion: Blizzard's parents finally reunite with Blizzard in chapter 5 of Hard Choices. John isn't bothered by the fact that he and his son are now dragons, but Sarah is.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: The Dark Ones were originally young dragons before Cynder, under the control of Malefor, transformed them into what they are now.
- Anyone who Zobek infects becomes a dark one. This happens to Nova, Sansa, and almost Blizzard as well.
- Breath Weapon: All the dragon characters have at least one of these.
- Cerebus Syndrome: The Story starts out mostly comedic, with Thomas entering the Dragon Realms, adapting to his new draconic body, getting a new name, being enrolled into a Dragon Academy, meeting his new girlfriend, and later his friend, Alex enters the Dragon Realms too. However, when Darken informs the young dragons that the Academy is under attack, things get a lot darker from there on. There are still a few comedic moments, though.
- Child Soldier: Most of the dragons who fight the Dark Ones in Chapter 25 are young teenage dragons.
- Color-Coded Elements: A dragon's element depends on the color of their scales. Bright red is fire, blue is ice, yellow is electricity, green is earth, dark green is poison, black is shadow, dark red is fear and gray is wind.
- The Corrupter: Zobek tries to turn anyone he can into a Dark One. He does this to Nova in chapter 23. Sansa also becomes corrupted by Zobek. Blizzard almost falls victim to this too.
- Curbstomp Battle: Zobek delivers one of these to Blizzard in Chapter 16.
- Dangerous 16th Birthday: The Portal takes place around the time of Thomas' 16th birthday. During this story, he winds up getting attacked by Zobek and the Dark Ones.
- Dark Is Evil: Played straight with the Dark Ones and their leader, Zobek.
- Dark Is Not Evil:
- Cynder, as always.
- Fury once he is freed from Zobek's control.
- Darken the Shadow Guardian.
- A Day in the Limelight: Chapter 3 of Hard Choices focuses on Thomas' parents looking for their son.
- Dead Fic: While The Portal has been completed, Hard Choices only has 11 chapters and hasn't been updated since December of 2015. And with the author becoming uncontactable, it seems unlikely that the story will ever be finished.
- Disney Death: In Chapter 17, Blizzard seemingly succumbs to his injuries that Zobek caused. Fortunately, Volteer manages to resuscitate him.Storm: I thought I had lost you.
Blizzard: You did. [Turns to Volteer] But you brought me back. Thank you.
- Establishing Character Moment: Zobek makes his entrance in chapter 16 by telling Blizzard that he wants to add Storm to his legion because she's part Shadow Dragon, and then absolutely curb-stomping Blizzard.
- Eye Colour Change: When Thomas enters the Dragon Realms, not only does he become a dragon, but his eye colour turns from brown to blue.
- Fish out of Water: When Thomas, and later Alex (and Thomas' parents in the sequel) enter the Dragon Realms, they take some time to adjust to their new bodies.
- Fisher Kingdom: Anyone who is pulled into the portal to the Dragon Realms winds up becoming a dragon. It is unclear whether this is a property of the Dragon Realms or the portal itself.
- Forced Transformation: When Thomas, and later Alex enter the Dragon Realms, they both become dragons, making them physically stronger and gaining new abilities.
- In the sequel, Thomas' parents, John and Sarah enter the Dragon Realms and become dragons as well. John takes the transformation pretty well. Sarah, on the other hand...
- Good Parents: Thomas' parents do really care for their son, even though he is kind of reluctant to go to Russia with them.
- Hope is heavily implied to have these given how her father tells her that she always gave him hope after the death of his mate.
- Greeting Gesture Confusion: After accidentally being hit by Storm's breath in Chapter 5, Blizzard holds out his front right paw to offer Storm a handshake. When he sees that Storm is unfamiliar with the concept of shaking hands, he puts his paw down.
- Hannibal Lecture: Zobek delivers one of these to Blizzard before their final battle in Chapter 25.Zobek: Why do you continue to fight? Your friends have all failed, and you... [Points to Blizzard] ...will belong to me soon enough.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Static has a bit of trouble firing his newly-found electric breath from his maw.
- I Am Not Weasel: Thomas/Blizzard, Alex/Static and Sarah sometimes refer to the dragons as "lizards".
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: In chapter 25, Darken tries to snap Sansa, who has been turned into a Dark One by Zobek, out of Zobek's control.
- Insistent Terminology: Blizzard tells Static that the dragons' version of a mouth is called a "maw".
- In chapter 18, Spyro calls Static out for calling the dragons "lizards" (see I Am Not Weasel), but Static says that Dragons and Lizards are the same thing.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Thomas, Alex and Thomas' parents become dragons when they are pulled into the Dragon Realms.
- It's All My Fault: Cynder greatly blames herself for the birth of the Dark Ones.Spyro: Look, it wasn't your fault. Malefor made you do these horrible things while you were under his control.
Cynder: But they were innocent young dragons before I helped him turn them into these abominations.
- Kid Hero: Along with Spyro and Cynder, most of the main characters are teenagers.
- Killed Off for Real: Scorcher is killed by a Dark One in chapter 25.
- Knight of Cerebus: The story is pretty light-hearted, until Zobek and the Dark Ones show up.
- Meaningful Rename: Both Thomas and Alex have their names changed while they're in the Dragon Realms. Thomas changes his name to Blizzard, and Alex, Static.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: This is implied in chapter 24 during Blizzard and Static's conversation about how the Dragon Realms have grown on them.Blizzard: I think the change has affected more than just our physical bodies. I think differently in some things now.
Static: Like what?
Blizzard: I don't know.
- Missing Child: Thomas, who is still only a teenager, ends up disappearing from the Human World, leaving his parents extremely concerned about him.
- Missing Mom: Hope's mother passed away prior to the story, which leads to Hope's father saying that she gave him hope after his mate's death.
- Monochromatic Eyes: All of the Dark Ones have these, except for Zobek, who actually has pupils, not that those pupils make him any less terrifying.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Cynder gets pretty upset when the Dark Ones get involved. See Wham Line below for the reason why.
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Seriously, who's going to argue with a dragon named Zobek?
- Naïve Newcomer: Both Thomas and Alex are pretty clueless about the workings of the Dragon Realms.
Storm: I can't read this.
- In Chapter 26, Blizzard writes up the events of this story to pass the time while he is locked away after Zobek's death. When Storm comes in, he shows her his work. But there's just one problem:
Blizzard: I know my handwriting isn't the best, but it's not that bad.
Storm: No, I mean I can’t read this because you haven't used our dragon lettering.
Blizzard: (face palming, thinking) Another piece of useful information.
- Noodle Incident: Thomas and Alex were once involved in an incident involving a shopping trolley and a very angry bald man.
- During Thomas and Alex's first day in Grade 7, Thomas got hit in the head by a soccer ball.
- Obligatory Swearing: Both Thomas and Alex say "Oh, Shit!" when they're about to be pulled into the Dragon Realms.
- Portal Door: Well, the story is called "The Portal".
- Prehensile Tail: Pretty much all the dragons have these, but they are very rarely used.
- Storm uses this to hang upside down so she can surprise Blizzard in chapter 8.
- Rescue Romance: In chapter 7, Blizzard accidentally hits Storm with an ice shot, freezing her left side and sending her plunging into a river. Luckily, Blizzard manages to rescue her from drowning. This plants the seed of the 2 dragons' romance.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Storm comes very close to pulling this off after thinking Cynder used her poison to kill Blizzard at the end of chapter 20, but in reality, she's merely knocked him unconscious.
- Shapeshifting Excludes Clothing: In chapter 9, Alex realises that his new body doesn't have any clothes.Alex: Um... I'm not wearing any pants.
- Shed Armor, Gain Speed: Blizzard sheds his armour in the final battle against Zobek.
- The Shut-In: After Zobek is defeated, Blizzard is locked in a room for a week due to his condition from being impaled by Zobek. He decides to pass the time by writing down what has been happening to him ever since he arrived in the Dragon Realms.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: During Zobek's last ditch attempt to possess Blizzard, this exchange happens:Zobek: You will surrender yourself to my will.
Blizzard: Get out of my head!
Zobek: Only when you surrender to me.
Blizzard: Go screw yourself!
- Stumbling in the New Form: Thomas initially has trouble moving around after his transformation from a bipedal human into a quadrupedal dragon. Shortly after waking up in Spyro's bedroom, he attempts to make his way over to the mirror so he can see himself, only to end up tripping over a few times.
- Tap on the Head: Blizzard gives one of these to Alex shortly after the latter's arrival in the Dragon Realms.
- Tempting Fate: Blizzard says that Alex would freak out of he saw him as a dragon. See Be Careful What You Wish For to see what happens next.
- Trapped in Another World: Happens to Thomas at the beginning of The Portal. Alex follows suit in Chapter 9. In Hard Choices, this happens to Thomas' parents. Sarah, needless to say, isn't very happy with this situation.Sarah: Sure my human body was no temple, but I didn't ask to be turned into a giant talking lizard!
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Blizzard and Static are these to each other.
- A few minutes after carrying an injured Blizzard to the infirmary, Static just snarks "Sucks to be you" to him. This doesn't make Storm very happy to say the least.
- At the end of Chapter 26, they both agree that the Dragons Realms are actually quite beautiful when something isn't trying to kill them.
- Wham Chapter: There are a couple of these:
- Chapter 11, where the Dark Ones make their entrance by terrorizing the Academy.
- Chapter 16, where Zobek makes his entrance and infects Blizzard by stabbing him with his tail.
- Wham Line:
Darken: The Academy... under attack... Students in danger... other Guardians...
- From the end of the 10th chapter:
Spyro: We don't even know who they are!
- From the 11th chapter:
Cynder: I do.
Cynder: The Dark Ones, and I'm the reason they exist.
- What Does This Button Do?: Thomas finds a button behind a dusty pot. When he pushes it, the floor under his feet disappears and he falls into the basement where the portal is. The same thing happens to Alex in Chapter 9.
- In Hard Choices, Thomas' father accidentally pushes a pot into the button, causing both him and his wife to fall into the basement.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Storm delivers a pretty big one of these to Cynder in chapter 21 after she knocks out Blizzard with her poison.
- Year Inside, Hour Outside: Six weeks in the Dragon Realms is a few days in the Human World, as demonstrated in chapter 5 of Hard Choices:John: What have you gotten yourself into the last few days?
Blizzard: Dad, I have been like this for almost six weeks.
- You Can't Go Home Again: This is implied by Terrador in chapter 7 of Hard Choices:Sarah: I want to know how we got here and why my son looks like... that.
Terrador: Sorry, but I haven't a clue as to how you ended up here like you are now or how to send you back.
- The fact that the portal apparently destroys itself once John and Sarah are pulled into the Dragon Realms probably reinforces this fact.
- You Do NOT Want To Know: This is Blizzard's response when Static asks him what happened after he was injured by Zobek.Static: Hey, good to see you're still kicking. What happened?
Blizzard: Honestly? You don't want to know.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: Blizzard has this reaction in Chapter 9 when Alex realizes that he's not wearing any clothes after he becomes a dragon.