The main protagonist of the story.
- Action Hero: Slowly evolves into one during the course of the story.
- After-Action Healing Drama: Zobek injures him using his tail in Chapter 16. As he's healing, it turns out that he's actually in the process of becoming a Dark One.
- Baleful Polymorph: Thomas gets turned into a dragon upon being pulled into the Dragon Realms. He soon grows to like his new form.
- Blue Is Heroic: Blizzard has blue scales and he is the protagonist.
- Disney Death: He appears to die after Zobek impales him in Chapter 16, but in the next chapter, Volteer resuscitates him.
Storm: I thought I had lost you.
Blizzard: You did. [Turns to Volteer] But you brought me back. Thank you.
- Distressed Dude: Gets infected by Zobek in chapter 16.
- Eye Colour Change: As a human, his eyes are brown, but after entering the Dragon Realms, they become blue.
- Freak Out: Has a big one of these upon first seeing his new body.
- Go Through Me: Upon meeting Zobek, Blizzard tries to defend Storm from him.
Zobek: Don't be foolish.
Blizzard: Who are you and what do you want?
Zobek: My name is Zobek, and I want her. (Points at Storm) She is part Shadow Dragon and will make a fine addition to my followers.
Blizzard: Over my dead body!
- Help, I'm Stuck!: While trying to get used to his new body, Thomas winds up getting his tail stuck in a tree he froze using his ice breath. Instead of helping Thomas out, Spyro and Cynder just laugh at him. Thomas reacts appropriately:
- The Hero
- An Ice Person: As a dragon, Blizzard can shoot out frigid cold breath and icicles from his mouth.
- Meaningful Rename: Changes his name to Blizzard in the Dragon Realms.
- Naïve Newcomer: Since he's actually a human in a blue dragon's body, Blizzard has a lot to learn about how things work in the Dragon Realms.
- No Time to Explain: Says that he'll explain why he's a dragon to his father later in Chapter 5 of Hard Choices.
- Official Couple: With Storm.
- Oh, Crap!: His initial reaction upon realizing that he's not human anymore.
- Shed Armor, Gain Speed: He removes his armor to give him a speed advantage against Zobek.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Tells Zobek to go and screw himself when he tries to possess him in Chapter 25.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: Does this twice:
- The first time he does this is in Chapter 2, when he passes out after realising that he's not dreaming. He wakes up to find himself in the Temple and that he wasn't dreaming that he was a dragon.
- He does this again in Chapter 8, where he wakes up in the infirmary after he saves Storm from drowning at the end of Chapter 7.
- Watch Where You're Going!: Says this to Alex when he accidentally knocks him off the rock upon which he was resting after Alex is pulled into the Dragon Realms.
- You Do Not Want To Know: Says this to Static when he asks him what happened after he was injured by Zobek.
- You Have GOT to Be Kidding Me!: Reacts this way when Alex lampshades that he's not wearing any clothes after he's transformed into a dragon.
Thomas' best friend from the human world.
- AM/FM Characterization: He listen to a lot of music on his iPod, especially music from The Black Eyed Peas and Owl City.
- Baleful Polymorph: Like his best friend, he is turned into a dragon when he is pulled into the Dragon Realms.
- Butt-Monkey: He gets turned into a dragon, knocked unconscious by his best friend and gets threatened with death by Storm. The poor guy just can't catch a break.
- Childhood Friends: He has been Thomas' best friend since Grade 7.
- Comically Missing the Point: Upon noticing that he's become a dragon, he soon realises that his clothes are gone.
Alex: Um... I'm not wearing any pants.
- Companion Cube: His iPod and headset make it to the Dragon Realms with him. He turns to this whenever he wants to listen to music.
- Cowardly Lion: He isn't exactly the bravest, but if his best friend is hurt, he is quick to rush to his aid.
- Deadpan Snarker
- How Do I Shot Web?: Has a bit of trouble mastering his new breath abilities until Blizzard reminds him of the Archery Range at the summer camp they both went on when they were roughly ten years old.
- Innocently Insensitive: In Chapter 12, he accidentally tells Storm that he's actually a human, sending her into shock.
Alex: One minute, I'm human, and the next, I'm walking on all fours covered in scales.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he learns that Blizzard is infected by Zobek, his main response is "Sucks to be you.". Despite this, he is still good friends with Blizzard.
- Lovable Coward: He isn't exactly the bravest friend Blizzard could ask for.
- Meaningful Rename: Changes his name from Alex to Static in the Dragon Realms.
- Oblivious Transformation: After he arrives in the Dragon Realms, he doesn't realise that he's been turned into a dragon until Blizzard tells him to look at his hand.
- Official Couple: With Hope.
- Shock and Awe: As a dragon, Static's element is electricity.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Has this relationship with Blizzard.
- Waking Up Elsewhere: When he faints upon meeting Spyro for the first time, Alex soon finds himself in the temple when he wakes up.
A Wind Dragoness who becomes Blizzard's mate. She's also part Shadow Dragon.
- Action Girl
- Action Girlfriend: Winds up becoming Blizzard's girlfriend after he saves her from drowning.
- Blow You Away: Being a Wind Dragoness, this is her primary ability.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Despair Event Horizon: Temporarily goes over this when she finds out that Blizzard, the only dragon who ever loved her, is actually a human in a dragon's body.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Says this to Fury when he jokingly says "Welcome to the Family" to let Blizzard know what his injury at the hands of Zobek will do to him.
An Earth Dragoness who becomes Static's mate.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Comes with being a green dragoness.
- Meaningful Name: She got her name because her father told her that she gave him hope after the death of his mate.
- Missing Mom: Her mother died prior to the events of the story.
A young hot-headed fire dragon.
A mole who serves as the Dragon Academy's resident Blacksmith.
The new Fire Guardian who replaces Ignitus.
The Poison Guardian.
The Shadow Guardian.
The Fear Guardian.
The Wind Guardian.
A young fire dragon who is a student at the Dragon Academy.
- Ascended Extra: After only appearing in a couple of chapters in The Portal, he winds up with a much larger role in Hard Choices.
- Baleful Polymorph: Becomes a dark red dragon when pulled into the Dragon Realms. It doesn't take long for him to get used to his new body, though.
- Mirthless Laughter: Does this when he reunites with his son in Chapter 5 of Hard Choices.
- Red Is Heroic: His dragon form has dark red scales.
- Alliterative Name: Her human name is Sarah Smith.
- Ascended Extra: She only appears in 2 chapters of The Portal, but winds up getting a much bigger role in Hard Choices.
- Baleful Polymorph: She's transformed into a dark green dragoness once she is pulled into the Dragon Realms. Unlike her husband and son, she takes a while to get used to her new body.
- Freak Out: Just like her son once she realises that she's not human anymore, except this one is a lot more extreme.
- Oh, Crap!: Her reaction to becoming a dragon is even bigger than her son's initial reaction.
The leader of the evil Dark Ones.