Tyra Lynne Banks (born December 4, 1973 in Inglewood, California) is an African-American supermodel, actress, TV talk show host, author (Tyra Banks Basic Face, and Modelland), and TV producer from Inglewood, California.
She first became famous for her appearances in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue where, in 1997 she became the first African-American model to appear solo on the cover.note She also created the Reality Show America's Next Top Model. She also has branched out into acting, with roles in such films as Higher Learning, Coyote Ugly and Halloween: Resurrection.
As usual, you can find the basics about her life and career at The Other Wiki.
The following FIERCE tropes are associated with Ms. Tyra Banks.
- Arch-Enemy: For a time, Naomi Campbell, although it wasn't so much hatred as fear on Tyra's part. They eventually resolved any issues they had between each other.
- As Herself: On the Just Shoot Me! episodes "Nina Sees Red Pt.1" and "Nina Sees Red Pt. 2," and cameos in the films Mr. Woodcock, Tropic Thunder and Hannah Montana: The Movie.
- Black Boss Lady
- Eccentric Mentor
- The Eponymous Show: The Tyra Banks Show.
- Expository Hairstyle Change
- Fan of Underdog
- Fashion Model: She's modeled for many designers, including Victoria's Secret.
- Fashion Show: She's appeared in quite a few.
- Large Ham
- Lead You Can Relate To
- Made-for-TV Movie: 2000's ABC fantasy/comedy Life Size, where she played a fashion doll that had magically come to life.
- Ms. Fanservice: She was a model, it's part of the job.
- Godiva Hair: She's done this in a variety of photo shoots. The cover of the January 2000 GQ had this, since she was only wearing bikini bottoms, and the cover read, "Tyra, Please Pull Your Hair Back!"
- Lingerie Scene: In fashion shows, and Season 2, Episode 45 of The Tyra Banks Show was titled "Panty Party."
- Walking Swimsuit Scene: Various photo shoots, particularly for Sports Illustrated.
- Nipple and Dimed: Zig-zagged all over the place. Sometimes she will play it completely straight with Hand-or-Object Underwear or Godiva Hair. Other times she'll go strutting down the runway braless in see-through outfits.
- Pretty in Mink: In a Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, one of the outfits she modeled included a white fox wrap and a Showgirl Skirt trimmed with white fox.
- Real Women Have Curves: Does she ever. She talked about usually being 20 lbs. heavier than the other models during her active career and that her curves got her noticed.
- Reality Show: America's Next Top Model
- Sassy Black Woman: Oh, and how. She has no problem letting people know how she feels.
- She's Back: She's on the cover of the 2019 Swimsuit Issue at age 45.
- Start My Own: Two reality shows (the other was the less-successful True Beauty) and a philanthropic organization called TZONE.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Tyra delivered one of the more memorable in television to America's Next Top Model Season 4 contestant Tiffany Richardson as she was eliminated. Lines from the speech like "I was rooting for you, we were all rooting for you!" have endured as memes since it aired in 2005.
- Vanity Plate: A bank vault, for her company Bankable Productions.