This is a list of characters who appear in the anime/manga series Paradise Kiss by Ai Yazawa. This needs a lot of work.
Yukari 'Caroline' Hayasaka
The main protagonist of the story, Yukari Hayasaka is an Ordinary High-School Student trying to get into the best college to impress her mother. She's always studying hard and is crushing on her classmate, Hiroyuki Tokumori. All of a sudden, she gets rope into the world of fashion...
- Beautiful All Along: Subverted, Yukari was always a natural beauty but was always too busy hitting the books to notice.
- Defrosting Ice Queen
- Even the Girls Want Her: She's just that beautiful.
- Important Haircut
- Love Martyr: Though it's mainly out of severe inexperience with love itself. She gets over it.
- The Masochism Tango: Her relationship with George.
- Ms. Fanservice: George of all people even lampshades it.
- Nosebleed: Suffers from this when she introduced to the hairstylist Seiji.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Played straight with Hiro, subverted when George enters her life, but played straight again when she chooses Hiro in the end.
- When She Smiles: She's introduced with a scowl and a bad temperament. Skip about three or four volumes and be struck with awe at the difference.
Jōji "George" Koizumi
An arrogant, handsome, VERY talented student in an art college. He starts dating Yukari few after she starts frequenting his college.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys
- Alternate Character Reading: It's George, not Jōji, thank you very much.
- Berserk Button: Call him by his birth name. Better yet, call Isabella by her birth name.
- Bi the Way:
- Even though George is in a relationship with Yukari, he and Seiji seem to have chemistry. Kaori seems to hint this when she talks to George saying " You have a girlfriend... and a boyfriend too."
- Pretty much spelled out when one of George's art school friends expresses surprise at Yukari's existence, as she thought he was gay. He corrects her saying he is actually bisexual.
- Curtains Match the Window
- The Dandy
- Embarrassing First Name: George hates being called by his first name.
- Even the Guys Want Him
- Expy: He is based on Brian Slade, which is alluded to in the series as Brian is George's idol.
- Heroic Bastard: His mother was a famous top model who gave up her career to raise him after being knocked up by a rich man. This really, really poisons her and George's relationship when he grows up.
- Insufferable Genius: He lives this trope.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Fashionable: He dresses up Yukari in the clothes he's designed (and has done the same for Isabella, a beloved platonic friend).
- Jerkass: At his worst.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: At his best.
- Ladykiller in Love: With the twist that it's not towards Yukari, but Kaori.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: He can be seen as a deconstruction of this trope.
- Oedipus Complex: Arguably the main reason he is so fucked in the head.
- Something About a Rose
- Tall, Dark, and Snarky
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
- Younger Than He Looks: A milder case than Isabella, but he probably looks more like a twenty-something than eighteen.
Another art student and George's friend and co-worker. Very cute and cheerful, she soon becomes Yukari's best friend.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Had the choice between punk kid Arashi and clean-cut Hiro. Guess who she picked.
- Cool Bike
- The Cutie
- Even the Girls Want Her: So cute and huggable to both genders.
- Expy: Of her older sister, who was first in Gokinjo Monogatari. Interestingly, she is aware of this, and doesn't find it amusing.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Nice Girl: So nice that she even lets the fact that her boyfriend once raped her slide and has a happy relationship with him. Arashi doesn't take this well at all.
- The Nicknamer: Starts calling Yukari "Caroline" totally out of the blue. It sticks, actually.
- Strong Family Resemblance: She is an almost exact copy of her sister Mikako.
- You Gotta Have Pink Hair
Miwako's Hot-Blooded, blunt boyfriend. He's both a student of George and Miwako's art school and the vocalist of a punk rock band.
- Jerkass <- -> Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Only Sane Man: Contrary to his choice of wardrobe, he's actually the most normal of the Paradise Kiss group other than Yukari.
- Rape as Drama: Out of insecurity over their relationship, Arashi pretty much bullied Miwako to lose her virginity to him. Later, he realizes how fucked up this is, and in the manga he becomes The Atoner.
- You Gotta Have Yellow Hair
The eldest of the gang, Isabella is a young transgender woman who acts as the mentor of the group.
- Embarrassing First Name: Daisuke, a decidedly masculine name.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: She loves making apple bunnies.
- Hopeless Suitor: For George.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Her backstory.
- The Quiet One: Isabella is far from chatty, but her standard reaction to mostly everything (a warm, unruffled smile) makes her come across as mature and dignified instead of cold or aloof.
- Team Mom: Often gives sound advice or just tries to cheer up the rest of the gang, particularly the girls. At one point, during an argument between George and Arashi, her thought panels reveals she's worried about Arashi's lack of calcium, and wonders if she ought to feed him dried fish. Her status is actually lampshaded by George, who calls her the group's mother figure.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: For George.
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
- Younger than She Looks: Due to both her clothing and some physical traits (her long-fingered, extremely knobbly hands, for example).
Yukari's crush, as well as an old friend to both Miwako and Arashi.
- Only Sane Man: He's usually the one giving Yukari the soundest advice and has a mature perspective of life that resides outside her stubbornness and the main group's eccentricity. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he eventually starts studying to be a psychologist.
- Romantic Runner-Up: He may be seen as this in the beginning, but since the series is partly about desconstructing romance tropes to hell and back, it gets beautifully subverted in the end. He still gets the shaft in fanworks, though.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: One of the few male characters with dark hair, in fact, and noted to be handsome.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To Miwako.
- What the Hell, Hero?: To Arashi.
A former Yazagaku student who is now studying abroad on a scholarship received as the previous winner of the junior Grand Prize.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Sorta, to George. She loves him, yeah, but she also knows he won't make her happy.
Mikako's mother's assistant. His dream was to study abroad as a hair stylist.