Monica is the main heroine and a student that takes Leonard Cosgrove's course. She is out-going and has a lot of friends, but no "best friends." She suffers from mood-swings, and is easily influenced by passing trends. She and Rooney Simpson dont get along, likely because theyre polar opposites. She comes from an impoverished background, the eldest daughter of 7 siblings. She attends college by working part-time as a janitor and as a waitress. Her dream is to fall in love with a celebrity, and she hopes to accomplish that during the cruise.
- Alpha Bitch
- Big Damn Heroes: Rescues Rooney in the path towards the True Ending.
- Deadpan Snarker: Monica has shades of this when examining certain objects.Monica: A bucket. Great, I'm saved...
- Gold Digger: Her main reason for coming onto the cruise is to find a wealthy husband.
- Somewhat subverted in that she wants to marry rich not only for herself, but to give her family a good life, too.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: Given how tight the dress seems to be around her breasts and how low it is, any amount of running should lead to a wardrobe malfunction.
- Jerkass: Appears to be self-centered and abrasive during her debut, and is quick to tell Rooney to go away so she would get the chance to flirt with Jerome.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Becomes more approachable towards Rooney once danger takes over the cruise, going as far as to save Rooney's life from Vigo and Jerome.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Parental Abandonment: It's not said what happened to Monica's parents, just that she's raising her siblings on her own.
- Promotion to Parent: You learn in Chapter 3 that she is the only one taking care of her six younger brothers.
- Too Dumb to Live: If the player chooses to, Monica can make bad decisions that end up killing her, such as choosing to hide in a large washing machine.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In a sense, shes in a better term with Rooney during Two Survivors ending. See also Jerk with a Heart of Gold and Big Damn Heroes above.
Leonard is a British-born cultural anthropologist, and is escorting the heroine(s) and her friends aboard the cruise. Hes hands-on, logical, and interested in occult phenomena from an anthropologist's point of view, but has managed to get to the bottom of and debunk several occult deceptions. In his heart of hearts, he is actually a romantic and occult fanatic. He wants nothing more than to one day encounter an honest-to-goodness supernatural phenomenon that hes unable to demystify.
- And I Must Scream: If Rooney does not shut off his life support system, Leonard will succumb to the cult's corruption and becomes a head attached to a spinal cord.Leonard: Rooney... Rooney... It's horrifying... A moment becomes an eternity... Good heavens! It's...the curse of being killed by...
- Body Horror: Is captured and horribly flayed alive by the cultists, with only a machine keeping him alive.
- Cool Old Guy
- Neat Freak: Leonard will often comment on the atrocious living conditions of the cult and has to resist the urge to tidy up.
- Parental Substitute: Is this to Rooney.
Rooney is one of the other American students that takes Cosgrove's course. Shes introverted, serious to a fault, and dislikes standing out. Her grades are relatively high. She has largely lost the will to live after being possessed by suicidal ideations following an incident in her past. Her schoolmates make fun of her, calling her glum and stale, and she gets the sense that she doesnt belong in the group.
- Abusive Parents: Before divorcing and dumping her on Leonard, they used to lock her in the closet for the night.
- All of the Other Reindeer: She's made fun of and mockingly called "Deathwish Diva" by her classmates because of her depressive personality.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl
- Apologises a Lot: Jerome even calls her out for it.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Driven to Suicide: As mentioned in her bio, Rooney suffers from suicide ideations and often thinks of killing herself largely because she feels guilty over Connie's death and is haunted by her ghost. At one point, she attempts suicide by jumping into the ocean, but is stopped by Jerome.
- Expy: Of Jennifer Simpson, the protagonist of the first two Clock Tower games.
- Heroic BSoD: Has a mild one after shutting off Leonard's life support. Suffers a terrible one in the Seduced by the Snake ending.
- Mercy Kill: Has the option to do this for Leonard.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: A conversation between Harry and Monica has her referred to as Miss Plain, indicating that she generally is unremarkable in a crowd, but seems to have dolled up for the cruise.
- Shrinking Violet
- The Quiet One
Scissorwalker is a monstrous humanoid creature brought aboard the Oceanus by a cult known as the Faithful, whom Monica and Rooney must outwit and hide from in order to survive the ordeal. She is later revealed to be Yolanda Boradsov, Vigo's daughter who was ritualistically turned into the horror she is now.
Jerome is a gifted French conductor with a slender build and sensitive demeanor. Rooney is attracted to his introversive character and cultured background. Most recently, hes been troubled by his unreliable memory, and joined the cruise in the hopes of getting some much needed rest.
A mysterious little girl who haunts Rooney.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: In the Pre-established Harmony ending, Connie transforms into the second Scissorwalker.
- Body Horror: In one of the bad endings, you partially see that under her hat, the entire top part of her head is skinned off.
- Break Them by Talking: Seems to have been doing this to Rooney for a while, often urging her to suicide.
- Creepy Child
- Manipulative Bitch: She's often blaming Rooney for her death and trying to convince her to kill herself. She was also apparently cruel even when she was alive.
- Evil All Along
- Parental Incest: With his daughter, Yolanda, in order to impregnate her.
- Small Role, Big Impact: Is only seen right at the tutorial stage of the game during Scenario 1 with Monica. Shows up in the True Ending as the man responsible for the creation of the Scissorwalker, and the deaths of everyone on the cruise.
One of Monica's friends.
A member of the ship's crew.
- Ambiguously Evil: Innocent crewmember or part of a fanatic cult? It's impossible to say for certain.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Although he appears in the Sole Survivor ending, he is conspicuously absent from the Two Survivors ending and it's never answered whether or not he's part of the Faithful.