- Played by: Yuka Tokumitsu (anime), Haruka Fukuhara (drama)
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Uehara is excellent in sports and grades but is a cold, aloof jerk to most people he interacts with, which is part of the charm for most girls in the school. Initially , Nao doesn't see the appeal until he lives with her for a couple of days which she falls in love. He does a couple of nice acts for Nao but is otherwise, is inconsiderate of her feelings and takes advantage of her kindness, even when they officially start dating. This gets brought up by several characters and it gets to the point where ends up hurting her alot. After almost having a falling out, he better.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: She often daydreams about Uehara in a very vivid fashion, inadvertently acting out what she sees before her and confusing the hell out of the people around her.
- Clueless Dude Magnet: Has quite a lot of lot of guys fall in love with her, much to Uehara's dismay.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: With the way she stumbles through life, breaking plates and furniture left and right, it's a wonder she made it to high school age.
- Dawson Casting: Averted, the actress was 16/17 at the time of shooting, same as her character.
- Extreme Doormat: For a while, towards Uehara ... who has no problem taking advantage of her generosity.
- Hollywood Kiss: What she's hoping to get one day ... and manages to get before the end of the season.
- Hypocrite: Often gets upset at Uehara for things she said or caused.
- Innocently Insensitive: She means well but often gets caught up with her fantasies and ideals that she doesn't realize she who she accidentally hurts.
- Oblivious to Love: Despite her frequent romantic fantasies, she seems to unaware of the guys after her,
- Played by: Eiji Moriyama (anime), Shunya Shiraishi (drama)
- The Ace: He's (the Japanese equivalent of) a straight-A student in everything, including sports.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He was in love with Yuri for most of his teens, and she chose his older brother.
- Berserk Button: When someone takes his milk pudding. Very much Played for Laughs.
- Dawson Casting: The actor is in his mid-twenties playing a teenager.
- Yuri: He's younger than he looks.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: His parents died in an accident when he was little. You can tell he still misses them and wishes to have a real family by the way he looks at Nao's parents when they visit.
- Drama Queen: Boy, is he ever.
- Gaussian Guy: How Nao sees him in her daydreams.
- Hates Being Touched: He dislikes being touched (or holding hands) unless he's the one initiating it. Serves to illustrate his commitment issues.
- Played by: Maki Saito (anime), Moe Arai (drama)
- Played by: Shugo Nagashima (drama)
Called Micchan by Nao and Marina.
- Shipper on Deck: Despite his girlfriend and Nao's wishes, he was Nao/Daichi before he graduated.
- Played by: Ryo Naito (anime), Koya Nagasawa (drama)
- Played by: Michiko Neya (anime), Erika Mori (drama)
Uehera's sister-in-law whom he had a crush on for most of his life.
- Played by: Kentaro (drama)
Issei (called Icchan by Nao) works at his father's ramen shop, where Nao begins a job as a waitress.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He's later falls in love with Nao. He eventually makes a confession but she thinks he's joking.
Issei's DadCurrent owner of the Evening Star Ramen restraunt
Nao's Parents (Tomoko Fujita & Hajime Okayama)
Takuya (Kei Tanaka)Uehara's older brother. Married to Yuri.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: He likes to pet Uehara's head in an almost fatherly way ... which Uehara doesn't appreciate.
- Big Brother Instinct: After their parents' death, he pretty much raised Uehara on his own and is often concerned for his well-being.
Uehara's BossBoss of Uehara's part-time job
Nanako (Hinako Tanaka)Daughter of the boss at Uehara's part-time cafe job
Nozomi Kitaura (Mai Tezuka)
- The Ace: Challenges Uehara when she moves to the school and is able to compete with him in academics and sports. Unfortunately, ping-pong seems to be the only exception.
- Ambiguously Gay: Kitaura is a stereotypical lesbian: she sports a pixie cut, goes out of her way to be kind and complimentary to other girls, is more masculine than her male classmates, thoroughly enjoys the attention women give her, participated in a competition where the winner gets Nao for a daynote , and most importantly had a "favourite" girl in the harem she garnered in primary school. Plus, when said girl got a crush on and started following Uehara around, she became jealous of him and decided she'd have revenge on him for "stealing" her away. It's all but stated outright.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Has quite a female following, particularly in elementary school. Even makes Marina's heart flutter after she catches her from falling.
- Nozomi: Why do you think the girls like me?Nao: It's because you're stronger and more masculine than all the other guys in school.
- Gamer Girl: Has a gaming PC and talks with Uehara about different mains.
- It's Personal: Seeks out revenge against Uehara for breaking her love's heart
Drama original characters
- Played by: Dori Sakurada (drama)
Daichi (called Daicchan by Nao) is a family friend of Nao's whom she has been close to since childhood.
- All Love Is Unrequited: He's in love with Nao, but she sees him as just a friend.
- Big Brother Instinct: They are not blood related but childhood friends. He's a year older than her and is very protective of her.
- Canon Foreigner: Daichi was an original character created for the live-action series.
- School Idol: He's one of the "Top Three" boys at his school.
- Played by: Yosuke Sugino (drama)
- Big Brother Instinct: Very doting and protective of his little sister. Though he tries to play it down when others are around, due to his reputation.
- The Casanova: His reputation on campus is being a flirt.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: Really good with handicrafts and looks. He says he does it to pick up girls but in truth, Nao figures its make up a motherly role for his sister after their mom died.
- Cleans Up Nicely: She looks stunning when she does dress up though Uehara prefers her usual getup.
- First-Name Basis: Does not like her last name so she asks everyone to call her by her first name.
- Unkempt Beauty: Often seen with messy hair and little to no make up. Uehara comments that she's this, much to her dismay when she does dress up.