Video Game: Toontown Online
Toontown Online is pretty much what it says in the title
, a town full of toons, online! It's an MMORPG featuring falling flower pots, cream pies, and corruption of humanity
. Unlike most MMORPGs
, this one has a basic turn-based system and can literally make peoples' head explode
. No literally, when a cog loses a battle, its head explodes!
Not to be confused with that place where cartoon characters live.
Toontown Online closed on September 19, 2013. However, fans remain loyal to the game and some are even making private servers, such as Toontown Rewritten
, and ToonTown Infinite
(though that project closed in December of 2014).
This game provides examples of:
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The Brrrgh.
- Soft Water: The final Toon-Up gag is a high dive into a cup of water.
- Smashing Hallway Traps of Doom: Many of the Cog Headquarters have these, most notably the Sellbot factory which has an area that is quite literally the definition of this trope.
- Spiteful A.I.: In the Cog Thief minigame, the cogs try to steal barrels that contain gags, and you try to throw pies at them to make them explode. If they hit you, they explode and you fly into the air. When this happens, the cogs currently on screen will turn away from the money and try to run into you, even though they will instantly explode upon running into you.
- Spit Take: The second Squirt gag is a glass of water. Guess what you do with it.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Cogs.
- Stupid Boss: Bossbots, the C.E.O., The Chief Justice, the C.F.O., and the V.P.
- Sugar Apocalypse: The Cogs threaten to cause this.
- Tactical Suicide Boss: The Goons that the CFO summons can be used to damage him.
- The VP opens up his hatches to shoot gears at the toons, which can be used to stun him and make him vulnerable to being pushed by pies.
- The Dev Team Thinks of Everything: Try using the New Friend command on someone other than a player.
Use on a Cog: A few seconds of waiting, and then "(Cog name) says no, thank you."
Use on your own Doodle: "(Doodle name) is already your BEST friend."
Use on someone else's Doodle: "(Doodle name) jumps around, runs in circles and licks your face."
- Technically not Toontown Online, but in Toontown Rewritten, during Doomsday, if you tracked down a cowering Alec Tinn behind the Bank, he'd think you're one of the Cogs.
Alec: Don't hurt me!! Oh, phew, it's only you.
- The Very Definitely Final Dungeon: Bossbot HQ.
- Too Awesome to Use: Level 7 Gags, SOS Toons, Unite Phrases, Cog Summons, and Pink Slips especially.
- Toon Town: It's in the name, yo.
- Trapdoor: The level 5 Trap gag is a trap door.
- Two-Faced: Obviously, the Two Faces and Double Talkers.
- Uncanceled: Ever since Toontown's closure was announced, fans have taken matters into their own hands and are private servers by going the distance to completely reverse-engineer the client. Toontown Rewritten and Toontown Infinite are two of the most popular private servers (but don't bring one up at the forums of the other unless you're looking for a ban), although smaller closed-community servers also exists. Toontown fan sites and forums continue to remain active as well.
- Voice Grunting: Every living thing.
- Wackyland: The whole game, except for the Cog Headquarters.
- Where It All Began: The last toontask for your Bossbot Suit takes you back to Flippy.
- White Gloves: Every single Toon wears them.
- Words Can Break My Bones: Several Cog attacks use words as a weapon. Justified, as they are trying to make Toons go sad.
- You No Take Candle: Some toons like to speak this way in Chat.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: Several Toon names have these.