A 2D Platform Game
based on the Disney/Pixar movie Toy Story
, developed by Travellers Tales
and released by Disney Interactive for the Sega Genesis
, Super Nintendo Entertainment System
and PC in 1996. A stripped-down Game Boy
port developed by Tiertex was also released, and there was also an odd bootleg NES version.
The game stars the pull-string cowboy Woody, and its levels follow the movie's plot through Andy's room, Pizza Planet (including the Claw Machine), Sid's room and on the road chasing after the moving van.
Tropes featured in the game:
- Digitized Sprites: Based on the same CG models used in the film.
- Eternal Engine: "Inside the Claw Machine".
- Follow the Money: Tin Stars (as in, the kind of star a sheriff might wear on his vest).
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: In the Boss Battle against the Claw, you, as Woody, have to toss LGMs up at the Claw to knock Buzz down until Sid runs out of quarters. Of course, since the movie has Sid capture Buzz and Woody anyway, the cutscene following this fight naturally has that happen.
- Killer Yo-Yo: Sid's room is filled with spiked yo-yos hanging from the ceiling.
- Nightmare Sequence: The first Boss Battle happens when Woody has a nightmare of being attacked by a flying, real-laser-shooting Buzz Lightyear. If he dies in the nightmare, he dies for real.
- 1-Up: Woody gets extra lives from picking up cowboy hats. Note, however, that there is a 9-life cap in play. You will burn through most of them in Sid's house.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: "Really Inside The Claw Machine" switches to a first-person perspective.