A first-person open world RPG set in medieval Europe. Described by its creators as "Dungeons & no Dragons" and Braveheart: The Game, it is developed by Warhorse Studios, a new Czech studio comprised of industry veterans, including the creators of Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and Mafia II.Compare Darklands, a much older RPG based on European history (albeit German, rather than Czech).You can visit its Kickstarter here and the official website here.Unrelated to Kingdom Come or Deliverance.
Kingdom Come: Deliverance provides examples of:
- The Blacksmith: The Hero is the son of one. You can likewise continue this tradition by crafting your own weapons and items.
- Combat, Diplomacy, Stealth: According to update #47, all three play styles are represented in the Game System.
- Creator Provincialism: The game takes place in the medieval Kingdom of Bohemia, in the modern-day Czech Republic. Daniel Vávra, the director of the project, is Czech.
- Deadpan Snarker: One blacksmith character if you talk to him at his forge.Player Character: What are you doing here?Blacksmith: Me? I thought I might prattle about, perhaps bake me a cake. Yes, a great big one here in the forge. Certainly I couldn't be, you know, smithing.
- Doomed Hometown: The protagonist gets hit with this, complete with murdered family and a quest for vengeance.
- Hordes from the East: Cumans—a nomadic group that settle in area east of Bohemia—are one of many enemies that the players can fight against.
- Lockpicking Minigame: Lockpicking in the game revolves around finding the correct spot to place the lockpick and then rotating the lock while tracing the spot's changing location with the mouse.
- Potion-Brewing Mechanic: The game has alchemy as a crucial (and complex) minigame, which produces potions—pretty much the only type of "magic" in an otherwise magic-less setting.
- Shown Their Work: The game reproduces the complex socio-political ecosystem of 15th-century Bohemia, with attention given to contemporary clothing and even fighting styles.
- Space Compression: The game takes place in a section of the Kingdom of Bohemia circa 1403, highly accurate in historical and geographical detail save for the fact that locations have been comparatively jammed together to keep the player from getting bored by travel.
- Storming the Castle: Several battles involve this.
- Succession Crisis: The old king died, and the new king’s brother decides to kidnap him and take over the country.
- Tactical Rock-Paper-Scissors: The game has a complex system of certain weapons being more effective against certain armor. For instance, swords are good against all armor except plate armor, while hammers work against plate armor but put the character at a disadvantage against opponents with swords.
- Understatement: In the text box explaining archery.Equip your bow with '1'. Use Left Mouse Button to shoot. Killing people not yet supported. And also not very nice!
- The War Sequence: Certain segments of the game have you marching in formation with other soldiers against enemy armies.