Tropers: Maths Angelic Version
Hello and welcome to my userpage. I'm just a Troper that discovered TV Tropes because of a coincidence. I quickly became addicted and lurked around for a pretty long time, always imagining what edits I'd make if I were a member. Then I thought that if I joined TV Tropes, I could make those edits and get done with TV Tropes forever. Guess how well it worked.
Note: This page is currently somewhat outdated because I don't feel like making a ton of minor edits when I can make one big change.
Aspiring Mathematician of Brilliant Laziness
Maths ~Angelic Version~
Note: This page is currently somewhat outdated because I don't feel like making a ton of minor edits when I can make one big change.
Main pages that I've written
My Playing With pages
These are pages that I have created and made most of the transformations for (or at least did at some time, but someone may have changed it later). To everyone that has helped improve my pages: Thank you.
- Afraid of Needles (38th)
- Artifact Title (33rd)
- Babies Ever After (20th page! Maybe I should stop celebrating milestones this frequently.)
- But Thou Must (25th)
- Carrying the Antidote (10th!)
- The Conscience (12th)
- Convenient Terminal Illness (27th)
- The Cover Changes the Meaning (13th)
- Deadly Prank (40th!)
- Death by Newbery Medal (15th page!)
- Digital Piracy Is Evil (19th)
- E = MC Hammer (4th)
- Find Out Next Time (36th)
- Find the Cure (9th)
- Heavy Metal Umlaut (6th)
- Highly Visible Password (37th)
- Incredibly Lame Fun (14th)
- Kids Shouldn't Watch Horror Films (30th!)
- Laborious Laziness (7th)
- Level Ate (34th)
- Magic Antidote (8th)
- Never Trust a Hair Tonic (43rd)
- No Immortal Inertia (21st)
- Our Slogan Is Terrible (22nd)
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage (18th)
- Poison-and-Cure Gambit (11th)
- Poisoned Chalice Switcheroo (23rd)
- Quote Mine (24th)
- Reading Is Cool Aesop (16th)
- Ridiculous Exchange Rates (35th)
- Ridiculous Procrastinator (2nd)
- Scrabble Babble (41st)
- Smurfing (29th)
- Space Whale Aesop (42nd!)
- Sweet Tooth (32nd)
- The Teetotaler (1st)
- Third-Person Person (44th)
- Tier-Induced Scrappy (5th!)
- Timey-Wimey Ball (3rd)
- Title Drop (26th)
- Tyop on the Cover (31st)
- Unishment (17th)
- Wild Card Excuse (39th)
- What Happened To The Mouse (28th)
Favourite works and creators
- Aladdin (not the sequels)
- Cars (Cars 2 is watchable, but no favourite of mine. I liked Planes, but not as much as Cars.)
- The Emperor's New Groove
- Lilo & Stitch plus its sequels
- The Lion King 1½
- Meet the Robinsons
- Monsters, Inc.
- Monsters University
- The Princess and the Frog
- Toy Story and its sequels.
- Wreck-It Ralph
- Dog with a Blog
- Hannah Montana
- The Julekalender
- Pawn Stars
- Storage Wars
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
- Top Gear
- Vazelina Hjulkalender
- Vazelina Bilopphøggers
- "Weird Al" Yankovic
- Øystein Sunde
- A lot of Disney music. Listing every song I like would take way too long.
- IOSYS and some other groups that remix Touhou music, such as Silver Forest and SYNC.ART'S.
- B.C. (when not an Author Tract)
- Beetle Bailey
- Betty by Gary Delainey and Gerry Rasmussen (apparently, it doesn't have a page)
- Calvin and Hobbes
- Cul de Sac
- Hägar the Horrible
- Zits (totally not because Jeremy's laziness makes me identify with him)
- The game of The Emperor's New Groove (partially due to playing it as a kid)
- 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue (see above)
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Mario Kart
- Newer Super Mario Bros Wii (Thank you very much for this, TV Tropes!)
- New Super Mario Bros.
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Sonic Colors
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic 3 And Knuckles
- Sonic Rush Series
- Super Mario Galaxy
- Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Super Paper Mario
- Scandinavia and the World (maybe not too odd, considering that I'm a Scandinavian?)
- Spiked Math
- The Katzenjammer Kids: As a kid, I loved the characters' antics. Now I just think it's annoying when the wrong person is punished, and the perpetrator gets away.
- Hells Kitchen: I simply got tired of watching people fail at cooking.
- MythBusters: I got tired of the concept and annoyed by the repetitive format.
- Dance Dance Revolution: It feels like I've seen every single reasonable step pattern there is. Not being able to find good mats anymore and the lack of new games don't help.
Tropes that apply to me and reactions I have
- Afraid of Needles: I once felt faint when I tried to inject an orange with water. I'm not exactly a badass, though, so I'm not sure if this trope really applies.
- All Women Love Shoes: Inverted. I dislike shopping for clothes, in particular shoes.
- Angst Aversion: If I consider checking out a work, I often check the type of ending in advance because I don't like spending a lot of time getting into a work that will just depress me in the end anyway.
- Apologises a Lot: Sorry about this!
- Artifact Title: My username is kind of outdated.
- My username was derived from the song title "Healing Vision (Angelic Mix)" (the banner writes it with tildes and not parentheses) from Dance Dance Revolution. I chose it many years ago because I wanted to join a DDR forum and needed a username. However, I never joined because I was too shy. I decided to return later because I thought the forum and the community would always be there. I was wrong. When I tried to come back some years later, DDR had been declared Deader Than Disco. However, I kept the username to remind myself to always join the fun before it's too late.
- However, "Maths" is still right because I like mathematics, and "Angelic Version" refers to the fact that I try to be polite and positive on the Internet. You can say that while the structure of the name is an artifact, the individual components are still relevant.
- Author Appeal:
- Berserk Button:
- I have quite a few, but I'm Genre Savvy enough not to tell you what they are.
- However, it's no secret that I really hate Tangled. Let's just say that it pushed Berserk Buttons I didn't even know I had.
- Another semi-obvious one is when someone claims that video games are sub-par entertainment because Blah Blah Blah, and novels are so much better because Blah Blah Blah. This began when, as a "gamer", I was informed directly and indirectly (such as school focusing on books and never video games) that books were superior to games. This annoyed and frustrated me a lot because it was unfair to games and gamers. I believe that trying too hard to distance myself from these opinions made me a reluctant reader in the first place.
- Blessed with Suck: I sometimes feel this way about my mathematical skills.
- Book Dumb: Played with. I have decent grades in some subjects, while some of the others would have been better if I really cared. Also, if we interpret the trope literally, it applies because I hate books.
- Boss Subtitles: I'm not a boss in any game, but I've given myself a subtitle anyway.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Lazy is played straight, while brilliant is zig-zagged.
- Buffy Speak
- Captain Obvious: I often end up becoming this.
- Catch Phrase:
Example:(Maths's character gets Wriggle kicked)Maths: Unfair! I didn't see it coming!
- "Unfair! I didn't see it (coming)!" (Said after making a mistake caused by not seeing something.)
Example:Alice: I ate too much candy floss before riding the roller coaster, so I threw up all over Bob, who was sick on me afterwards.Maths: Too much information.
- "Too much information" (Expression of disgust or occasionally boredom.)
Example:Charlotte: Maths... You have like one evening to do that huge project that you were supposed to spend the whole month on... Do you want me to help you?Maths: I'm fine, Charlotte.
- "I'm fine, ___(person)" (Usually means "I'm not fine, but I don't want to bother you with it".)
Example:Dina: You really need to start working on your project.Maths: What happens if I don't?Dina: You'll do badly and probably fail.Maths: That's slightly suboptimal.
- "That's slightly suboptimal." (Used as a reaction to something bad. Usually an understatement to comment on a hypothetical situation.)
Example:Ethan: Do your homework first. Then you can check Facebook.Maths: Isn't that commutative?
- "Isn't that commutative?" (Another way of saying "Does the order matter?".)
Example:(Maths's project is due in 12 hours.)Maths: I consider starting on my project.
- "I consider ___(verb)" (Precedes something I really ought to do.)
Example:Flora: Have you done your homework?Maths: No comment.
- "No comment" and "Maybe" (Used as a response to yes/no-questions when it's really obvious that the answer won't be what the asker wants to hear.)
Example:Gina: Are you going to McDonald's?Maths: I assume that without loss of generality.
- "I/We assume without loss of generality that..." (Precedes something I think is probable.)
- Cursed with Awesome: As a Shrinking Violet, I don't have a social life (in Real Life), except for having some friends that I've met because of our common interest in mathematics. This means that I have more time for homework, mathematics, TV Tropes, various other interests, and my Internet friends, as well as being safer from negative influences.
- Deadpan Snarker: I occasionally try to be one, but rarely pull it off well.
- Doing It for the Art: My motivation for Touhou Danmakufu scripting.
- Ending Aversion: Similarly to Angst Aversion, I often read the ending in advance because I don't want to waste time on something that will ultimately leave me disappointed.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: As someone that isn't too fond of swearing (and isn't allowed to anyway), I usually end up using these or Unusual Euphemisms.
- Grammar Nazi: Downplayed, as I try to get rid of my Grammar Nazi tendencies. I think being a Grammar Nazi is impolite at times. If I find a mistake somewhere I can edit it, I usually do. If I can't edit it, I'll usually forgive it because I understand what the author meant anyway. However, if the writing looks like They Just Didn't Care (as in several spelling errors a sentence, consistently writing "u" for "you", no punctuation or capitalization, etc.), on the other hand... example of what not to do
- Hair Decorations: I usually wear a hair band to keep my hair away from my eyes. I honestly don't care if it you think it makes me look younger than I am.
- Learnt English from Watching Television: I did take English classes too, but I feel that I learnt more from watching TV, playing games, and reading on the Internet.
- Lucky Charms Title: Zig-zagged. From the most to the least preferable version, my username can be written "Maths ~Angelic Version~", "Maths -Angelic Version-", "Maths (Angelic Version)", "Maths Angelic Version", or "MathsAngelicVersion". I accept all of them. You can also just call me "Maths".
- No Sense of Direction
- Not a Morning Person: I'd probably be nocturnal of I could.
- Precision F-Strike: I don't like swearing, but sometimes I do anyway when I really mean it and "darn this" just feels too weak.
- Picky Eater
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: I'll write an explanation and find a better joke soon.
- Self-Deprecation: Some of this page.
- Straight Edge
- Sweet Tooth
- The Teetotaler: I'm old enough to drink now, but I still don't want to.
- Tempting Fate: Browsing TV Tropes after midnight. What could possibly go wrong?
- Third-Person Person: Averted, even for this page. I tried, but I felt strange and pretentious.
- True Neutral: According to the alignment test I took, at least.
- You Make Me Sic: I have a bad habit of doing this, and of shoehorning it into most of the dialogue I try to write.
- Wanton Cruelty to the Common Comma: Expect me to lampshade particularly egregious examples.
- What an Idiot:
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking
- Bubbly Clouds: Can give me the feeling of being free... I don't know why.
- Creative Closing Credits: Because ordinary credits are too boring.
- Deadpan Snarker: I love a good sarcastic remark.
- Determinator: As someone that gives up easily, I really admire these.
- Four-Seasons Level: Would be really cool to see more of this.
- Hailfire Peaks: Unless it's a very awkward combination.
- Hypocritical Humor
- Jungle Japes
- Level Ate: Especially when made of sweets. That looks so yummy~
- Palmtree Panic: Feelings of holiday~
- Running Gag: Unless it was really bad in the first place.
- Sophisticated as Hell
- World of Snark
Pet Peeve Tropes
- Auto-Scrolling Level: I like going through levels at my own pace.
- Big Boo's Haunt: I think these are the least enjoyable Mario levels because I dislike the atmosphere and because these levels often rely on annoying tricks and gimmicks. It doesn't help that they tend to appear in nearly every world for some reason, usually feeling out of place as their atmosphere is always the same, regardless of what Videogame Setting it's in.
- Brought Down to Normal: When it happens to a protagonist that had cool and/or useful powers, I find it pretty sad.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome
- Deconstruction: Unless it deconstructs something I don't like. I want fiction because it's not reality. I want fiction because X is possible in fiction, but not in reality. I don't want fiction because I want to know what kind of stupid tragic consequences X would have in Real Life. Or, in the words of Cliché: "Lol, tropes are stupid. I'm so edgy." It's more of a complaint about the use of the word "deconstruction", but you get the idea.
- Debate and Switch: An annoying type of Writer Cop Out. If you have the courage to portray a moral dilemma, please have the courage to resolve it properly.
- Determinator when subverted and the determinator suddenly gives up for a stupid reason.
- Downer Ending, Sudden Downer Ending, Shaggy Dog Story, Shoot the Shaggy Dog, etc.: As from the explanation why Shoot the Shaggy Dog is one of Sturgeons Tropes: "You can tell a grim story about life's futility that audiences will find effective and moving, but usually, audiences will feel that you wasted their time with pointless, depressing crap." My version of that: "You can tell a tragic story that I find moving, but most of the time, I'll fell that you wasted my time with pointless, depressing crap."
- Easily Forgiven: Can be heartwarming, but usually comes across as the creator(s) simply being too lazy to make Alice (who forgives Bob) actually feel the grief and anger associated with the loss that Bob has caused her.
- Eureka Moment: Feels like an Ass Pull or a Deus ex Machina when done badly.
- Fake Difficulty in most, if not all, of its forms.
- Fake Longevity: Don't ask me to beat the game again with a different character. If I enjoy the game and think it's worth doing, I'll replay it anyway.
- Genius Book Club: When their intelligence is shown by reading "classics" like Shakespeare. I swear, I'll never understand why reading a fictional story about two stupid lovers that end up dying implies that you're smart. However, I do understand when they read science or something like that.
- "Gift of the Magi" Plot: I know it's supposed to be heartwarming, but I just find it stupid.
- Honor Before Reason: Two words: Skewed Priorities
- I Gave My Word: A character wanting to ruin their life because of a stupid promise that doesn't accomplish anything positive is a serious flaw in my eyes. Unfortunately, few works seem to agree with this.
- Mary Sue:
- Not the "trope" itself, but critics throwing out Mary Sue accusations as soon as a character shows anything that resembles a positive/cool/fun/interesting/unique trait/possession. The Double Standard with female characters getting this more often than male characters certainly doesn't help.
- I do dislike some overly perfect characters, but usually only very egregious examples and characters in a work I dislike anyway.
- Moment of Awesome: Not an awesome moment itself, obviously, but an awesome moment that is negated later (for instance a Determinator giving a speech about how they'll never give up, only to give up five minutes later for a stupid reason). Once I've seen the invalidation(s), knowing that it's coming sours the awesome moment every time I see it.
- No Ending: I got into this stupid thing because I wanted a resolution!
- Reading Is Cool Aesop: Unless it's a rare example about characters appreciating something that isn't novels. See Genius Book Club.
- Under the Sea: Most of the time, I end up getting annoyed by the swimming controls.
- You Are Worth Hell: Because of the huge chance that the sacrifice won't be worth it and the character fails to realize that.