Tabletop Game / Fluxx
Fluxx is a Card Game
with some fun (and unique) gameplay mechanics.
The basic rules are very simple- on your turn you draw 1 card and play 1 card. Reading that, you may have noticed there is no rule for how you win. Don't worry, the rest of the rules are on the cards you play! Every card played has a rule that modifies the game you're playing, as you play it.note
Eventually, a player will play a card that will state the condition for winning (usually but not always a Goal), and the first person to meet the Goal in play wins. But the gameplay itself is a bit more unpredictable than that, due to a variety of card types and effects. Don't worry if the Goal seems out of reach. It's probably going to change. Often.
Cards in the game are split into:
- New Rules - Change how the game is played. Rules generally make the game more frantic (Draw 2, 3, 4 or 5) or less predictable (Play 2, 3, 4 or All) or make other players groan in frustration (Hand Limit or Keeper Limit 0, 1 or 2).
- Actions - Do what the card says. Most of these make people groan as you do things.
- Goals - Are how you win the game. At the start of the game, there is no goal; nobody can win the game until a goal is played. Generally involve keepers, but some require creepers, or even a certain number of cards in the hand.
- Keepers - You get to keep, and are played in front of you. Many of the goals involve at least 2 keepers.
- Creepers - Introduced in Zombie Fluxx (although some editions of the original actually label War as a Creeper). Like Keepers, but they have to be played straight away, and usually stop you from winning if you have any. However, some goals actually require Creepers to win.
- Surprises - Introduced in Pirate Fluxx. These cards can be played on an opponent's turn to negate one of their cards.
Fluxx (and its variants/expansions: Family Fluxx
, Zombie Fluxx
, Eco Fluxx
, Monty Python Fluxx
, Stoner Fluxx
, Martian Fluxx
, Pirate Fluxx
, Star Fluxx
, Oz Fluxx
, Cthulhu Fluxx
and a board game version) all come from the very excellent people at Looney Labs
This card game provides examples of: