Shout Out: The Runaway Guys
open/close all folders
New Super Mario Bros Wii
- Someone comments that Yellow Toad's red and yellow colors after he gets a fire flower makes him look like Iron Man.
Josh: "I am Iron Toad!"
- Jon reads Bowser Jr.'s letter as Mr. Burns.
- Meet Josh Jepson!
- They reference the Freelance Astronauts' own Let's Play of the game, in particular their Running Gag of honking a 'fail horn' every time someone has to use a continue.
- When everyone but ProtonJon was in a bubble at the end of 2-4, right before the flagpole he put himself in a bubble, mirroring what happened in the Freelance Astronauts' LP at 8-1.
Jon: Thanks, Maxwell!
- In episode 16, Jon immediately recognizes the level as the same one where Ferr sang sea shanties while screwing around with the controllable platform in the Astronauts' LP. After NCS accidentally moves the platform into a lava pillar, killing all four of the players, Jon even comments:
- When Chugga is the only one with a propeller hat, it's agreed that they need him to survive long enough to get the Coin, and thus can't try and kill him. Cue "I'll get you next time, Gadget! NEXT TIME!"
- Shortly afterwards, while trying to time a tricky propeller hat jump: "Do it now! GET TO THE CHOPPA!"
- Possibly unintentional: At 24:19 in the fourth episode, Tim says: "Jon's a homicidal maniac".
- After helping Josh get a Propeller Mushroom, Chuggaa says they'll "show us the real superpower of teamwork!".
- In the sixth episode, Tim is just getting the hang of the bubble mechanic, and hits the wrong button during their run through the castle. Amid the good-natured ribbing, where the others keep telling him that he came close, but didn't quite manage it, comes the line "Well you see, it disappoints Pokémon if they are photographed from behind..."
- At one point, somebody mentions "Super Bummerman 2".
- Jon: "Come with me if you want to live!"
- In Episode 8:
Josh: "Oh, hai, cannon!"
- The guys bring up Classic Game Room in Episode 9, and mention Mark's love for the Vectrex.
- Sir Ron Lionheart is mentioned in episode 10.
- "Rock!" "Lobster!"
- "Secret Passage!"
- "Can anybody find me somebody to jump on?"
- From Episode 12 "he looked on the ground and found wepon"
- From Episode 12, Jon makes two references in quick succession: "All right, everybody, welcome back to American Gladiators! This time the red team, green team, blue team, and yellow team will be fighting it out against The Aggro Crag!"
- Again, from episode 12, by Chuggaa: "We've got all three coins. We have all three clues! It's time to…(cut off by the others)…our Thinking Chair!"
- A bit later: "Our handy dandy notebook!"
- Josh: "I can't wait to bomb some dodongos..."
- "To the left, to the left, to the left, to the left!"
- Nobody likes toasted mushrooms.
- Episode 16: "Oh my Goodness Gracious Me." Possibly a reference to the program with the same name.
- Episode 17, Part 1
- Later, in the finale, Chuggaa says he's 'value to team'
- During the final episode, Jon manages to get in one final reference to Steve the Trooper. This prompts Josh to call out: "Eh! Steve!"
- The best time to wear a striped sweater... is all the time...
- After the guys actually cooperate to beat a level, Chugga occasionally comments about "the real super power of teamwork!"
- When someone else gets something wrong, Chugga is fond of shouting "WRONG!" in the same way as Lex Luthor in Superman Returns, and then following it up with "LEX WINS!" as a reference to ProtonJon's LP of Superman 64.
- In the intro to Episode 13, Tim quotes the Gregory Brothers' Charlie Sheen "Winning" song, but says "I was banging seven-pound rocks" rather than "seven-gramme rocks", prompting Jon to point out that that much cocaine would kill a man.
- In Episode 15, Chugga comments that he bet his sock in a card game... a children's card game.
Super Smash Bros. Subspace Emissary
- TELEPOR' MAWIO!
- Again when Bowser appears in a cutscene. "GRA-HA-HA! THIS IS BOWSER 'ERE!"
- Once the battle with Petey begins, Tim yells, "for BOSS TIME!"
- Many references to Captain Planet are made during the beginning of the second stage.
- During the EarthBound stage as Wario is shooting a Dark Cannon on Ness: D'oh, I missed!
- Jon: Eat the food and be fat, princess. Fat Princess.
- Near the start of Episode 4, When they point out that the timer skips from three minutes to one minute, it is handwaved as being due to Time Dimensions.
- Tim references pcull44444's Let's Play of Metroid: Zero Mission. Sadly, the other guys don't get the reference.
Tim: "It was because of the MORMONS."
- Jon references Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name", and the other two groan like he just made a bad pun.
- Episode 5 has Chuggaa shout "WHO TOUCHED MY GUN?", referencing "Meet the Heavy".
- "On the next exciting episode of Dragon Ball Z!"
- In episode 9, Jon and Chugga reference the Spirit Bomb's long charging time while the former spams Fox's side taunt.
- In episode six, Chugga says "Open the door to the Hardware Store!" He and Tim immediately break into the Weird Al song.
- Episode 7 starts off with Tim the Toolman.
- Much like the Curleh Mustaches, Emile asks where Falco is at.
- In Episode 9, Proton Jon does Slowbeef's Ridley voice.
- Same episode, about the giant Diddy Kong:
- In the level where Snake is introduced, Tim quips "The Twin Snakes!" in reference to there being two of Snake onscreen.
- During that, Tim references the Tums commercial.
- In Episode 16, Chuggaaconroy makes reference to George Wood as a response to ProtonJon being their navigator.
- Episode 17, after fooling around with Olimar's name:
Polymerization! We're playing Yu-Gi-Oh!
I play this card in defense mode! I play this Pikmin
in attack mode! I get on this button in attack mode!
Emile: You came back from the dead just to play a card game with me.
Jon: I am lying down in defense mode.
- During the later episodes that were filmed at ProtonJon's house, Jon started showing Chugga and Tim Clone High. As such, the rest of the LP contains tons of references to it, including many JFK impersonations.
- "Sine! Cosine! Tangent!"
Jon: You mean SOHCAHTOA?
- During the second episode, one of them starts quoting the Ninja Rap from the second TMNT movie.
- One of their rewards for finishing a level was a Raphael the Raven sticker and Chugga states he always pronounced Raphael's name incorrectly regarding Ninja Turtles.
Mario Party 2
Kirby's Return To Dream Land
- The notion of Josh eating grandpas is a reference to Super Mario Sunshine Versus, where Josh accidentally claimed to be eating old men.
- After picking up Water for the first time, Jon starts trying to figure out which powers map to the rings from Captain Planet.
- During World 2-2 Chugga says a line from the Unawakening Float song from Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Also during World 2-2, Jon is looking underwater for things and finds a pineapple. Cue Emile with "He lives in a pineapple under the sea!"
- At the beginning of Episode 3, Jon says they're having a pool party in Raisin Ruins. Jon then attempts to kick Chugga out, saying that "Only Aquabats are allowed at this pool party!"
- In episode 3, the guys start discussing what Meta Knight might actually look like under his mask. Jon says he likes the Brawl in the Family interpretation of Meta Knight being just another Kirby who got coloured blue and lost some of his powers.
- When Chugga!Kirby gets Snow Bowl for the first time, Jon deadpans "I don't wanna play Katamari with you anymore."
- When Meta Knight!Jon fails to avoid Yet Another Stupid Death, the Super Mario Bros. 3 death theme is hummed. And Jon calls them on it.
- Similarly, just before starting the Ninja Dojo, a theme from Banjo-Kazooie gets sung, and Jon again points it out incredously.
- Their reaction to the final target. "It's Pac-Man!"
- After blowing up the Waddle Dee robot in a minigame, Tim mutters "Here's fifteen silver points. Now wasn't that fun?"
- Episode 5, after getting the Grand Hammer:
- They talk about how King of the Hill for a while, including saying how Dale and Boomhauer were awesome.
- Episode 9, NCS makes an unexpected one:
Jon: Really? Avatar?
- At the start of Egg Engines, Emile references a line of Dr. Eggman's from Sonic Generations.
- After Emile gets Mike knocked out of him, Jon shouts "Don't lose Mike! Save him! Save Michelangelo, he's the best Ninja Turtle!"
- Also from episode 9, two Shout Outs are uttered in relative succession: "I'm so hungry, I could eat a Monster Flame!" and "I'm gonna be king of the pirates!"
- All of the guys start singing Inspector Gadget music after their repeated failures in Episode 9.
This is how far our sanity has gone at this point. Two episodes in and we're already singing Inspector Gadget
- Electrical Beast gets yet another Shout-Out from Chugga at the end of episode 9, with Chugga even suggesting they should have him join the guys as a guest.
- In Episode 10, Chuggaa says, "I AM FED UP WITH THIS world."
- In Episode 12, Chuggaa sees a flaming rock and says "It's the sun! Someone drew a circle above us!"
- After defeating the final boss, Tim parodies Ganondorf's Villainous Breakdown from the end of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- During Jon's run of the Wing Challenge Room, Emile calls Kirby an Elemental Hero Flame Wingman when they reach a room with fireball cannons.
- When the trio are going through The Arena, they come across Bonkers, the hammer miniboss. Tim, who is playing as Dedede, another hammer wielder, pops in with:
- Right before the above example, Chuggaa says "Bonker's Bad Fur Day".
- In the bonus episodes, when Chugga uses the Crash power-up, he yells/sings "Champagne Supernova".
- Also from the bonus episodes, they reference Knives Chau from Scott Pilgrim.
- The voice Chugga provides for Magolor sounds (at least to Jon) like Elmo. At the beginning of the first bonus episode, Chugga mentions Big Bird and Jon mentions Snuffelupagus.
- Tim starts singing the Bad Horse Theme from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
- One player quotes Rowan Atkinson in Rat Race: "It's a race!"
- When Tim gets sent to the volcano (which Jon dubs as being hell) he starts singing the Irving Berlin song "Cheek to Cheek" with appropriately modified lyrics: "Hell, I'm in hell, and my heart beats so that I can hardly speak..."
- In the Globe Trot game, when the camera is focused on Africa Tim sings a bit of Toto's "Africa".
- During the Jumbo Jump ski game in Spin Off, Jon sings the Sonic drowning theme.
- After noticing their avatars are wearing bow ties, Jon keeps making Doctor Who references, much to Chugga's bewilderment.
- Tim sings "Kryptonite" by Three Doors Down ("If I go crazy, then will you still call me Superman...?") when they play a game that involves flying through space in capes.
- Chugga says he's in the 700 Club (Pat Robertson's televangelist program.) He and Jon lampshade it: "700 [points]! I'm in the 700 Club — I'm referencing that?" "Wow, I am surprised you referenced the 700 club, of all things."
- During bingo, Jon exclaims: "Shazbot"
- During the Friend Connection pair game, Tim starts singing "Tearin' Up My Heart" by *NSYNC.
- Jon compares the heart-shaped portal thing to a Stargate.
- During Match-Up (where you have to match Miis' colored shirts), Emile goes "He's blue! If he was green, he would die!"
- "We all live in a brown submarine!"
- In episode 2 they all make puns on things happening to Chugga's "Moustachioed Shark" avatar: when he gets covered in tentacles they call him Sharktopus, when he gets covered in brown sludge they call him Sewer Shark, and when he has trouble jumping Lucah references Jumping the Shark.
- In episode 4, when they play a level called "The Darkness", Tim sings "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" by the band The Darkness.
- At one point, they have to ride a dog through a level. Jon mentions that Poochy ain't stupid.
- In episode 5 there's a segment where they have to stick stickers on some ducks in the background, but they have to time it right with signal lights coming on or bombs drop and blow them up. When Chugga doesn't get it right and is killed, Jon says "You chose... poorly".
- Chugga mentions that he doesn't like the others calling him "Shark Boy" because it gives him painful memories of The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl.
- When they play a level called "Cowabunga!", Tim comments "Cowabunga? Cowa-fuckin'-piece-of-dog-shit!"
- In episode 7, they play a level that involves RIDIN' ON CARS!, so Tim quotes that bit of Egoraptor Memetic Mutation. He then somehow pronounces the Bill & Ted Air Guitar clip that follows.
- Chugga "doot"-ing Low Rider by WAR.
- When running ahead of the others, Lucah frequently yells "See ya later, shitlords!"
- "Now it's Reyn time!"
- In the final episode, they get a sticker of a punching fist. This prompts a "Pentagon Punch!" and "Punch! It's all in the mind!"
- At the end, Jon plasters a blue sticker all over everything, including the other three players, turning them blue. This prompts Lucah to start singing "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65.
- Several times throughout the LP, Lucah sings/hums "The Spanish Flea".
- After freeing the scientist in the Bunker, Chugga exclaims "I am an angry scientist!".
- Chugga starts humming the boss music from Sonic the Hedgehog 2 in the final boss fight, as he says it reminds him of the final boss from that game...which ironically had a different, unique, theme to the regular boss theme that he's humming.
New Super Mario Bros U
- The description for Episode 2 says: "The sequel to that one intro!" So what does Chugga sing this time? The Flintstones. But unlike last time the rest of the guys were OK with this.note
Meet the Timstones!
They're the modern,
Come the friends who need to L to P!
Now Let's Play, with Jon and the other three!
He couldn't even upload a bee!
When you read our fanfics,
You'll Have a Gay Old Time!
...But you knew that already!
- Josh mentions that he can talk, but chooses not to, just like Chell.
- The look of the thief enemy from episode 4 is compared to a Rabbid from Raving Rabbids.
- Appropriately enough, the official name for this enemy turns out to be Nabbit.
- In episode 6, when all four of them are in their small forms, Chugga refers to them as "Mario Babies" and sings the Muppet Babies theme song.
- In episode 9, Tim quotes the 'Asshole' lines from Spaceballs when Josh calls the others assholes, and later when discussing the P-acorn, he quotes The Angry Video Game Nerd saying "why is there so much P in this game?" (then meaning Super Mario Bros. 3).
- Tim randomly starts singing "Till I Kissed You" by The Everly Brothers in episode 10.
- Chugga singing "Blame Canada!" in episode 21. Needless to say, Jon quickly takes offense.
- Tim mentions that one of the Miis looks like Shinjanaytor.
- In episode 1, as Jon is playing as An Ice Person, he introduces himself with one of the terrible ice puns from the Batman & Robin version of Mr Freeze, but gerts it wrong.
- In episode 2, Jake brings up Murder, She Wrote and he and Jon discuss it, while - unsurprisingly - Chugga hasn't heard of it.
- Episode 4 has many references, including a strange crossover between The Wizard of Oz and Weekend at Bernie's. Chugga also references the famous Hubble Space Telescope picture Pillars of Creation.
- Jake sings "Money", by Pink Floyd in episode 5. Jon also makes a Soulja Boy reference and is surprised when somebody (Jake) gets it.
- In episode 6, when talking about toast, Chugga quotes the infamous "All toasters toast toast!" line from Hotel Mario.
- In episode 8 they all sing "Here Comes the Sun", and after Chugga doesn't know where it's from, they talk about The Beatles and Tim sings a couple of lines of "Yesterday" before stopping in case it gets flagged for copyright infringement.
- In episode 9, Jake sings the start of Brentalfloss' Mega Man 2 With Lyrics, while at the same time Chugga does the beginning of the William Tell Overture.
- The finale has the four discussing Mike Dawson getting a place in the credits of Borderlands 2 thanks to slowbeef and Diabetus.
Mario Party 3
New Super Luigi U
Mario Party 4
- In episode 20, Tim randomly starts singing the doo-wop opening of The Marcels' version of "Blue Moon". He also quotes Morpheous' speech from The Matrix later in the video.
Battle Royal Mode
- While discussing how one of them can only go one way at the moment instead of doubling back, Emile calls it "The Grand Line!"
- After Emile goes on about how 1 billion yen is like 4 U.S. dollars, Jon says, "But seriously, 100 yen is not a lot of money."
- Jon sings a bit of Elvis Presley's "In the Ghetto" when the Guys are talking about District C being the slums of the board.
- This exchange:
Emile: ...or you could take a chance on Tim.
Jon: Funny thing, I was thinking the same thing, I had ABBA stuck in my head. *sings some more of it*
- Tim, at some point in the last part, says "Next time on Game Grumps!"
- "What a horrible night to have a curse."
- Part 1 of the Observatory has Chugga muttering in a German accent about how better life will be for him when he becomes a beautiful butterfly.
- From part 2 of The Observatory, Jon gets card number 42 and remarks "The answer!"
- Part 1 of Mario Stadium begins with:
- It also has Tim quoting from Robin Hood. "Double the taxes! Triple the taxes! Squeeze every last drop out of those insolent, musical peasants."
- Prince John gets referenced again in Part 4 of Delfino Plaza when one of them lands on a Tax space.
- And Tim again: "Very expensive."
- Part 3 of Mario Stadium has Chugga imitating the Annoying Laugh of Scratch from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and then being disappointed when none of the others get the reference.
- When Tim grabs three shops in a district and the others talk about him becoming a real threat, he comments "Let's get dangerous!"
- In Delfino Plaza, Chugga mentions a "Super Speedy Spicy Sausage 6000".
- In Delfino Plaza, after someone lands on Chugga's Tax Office, Tim starts quoting Prince John from Robin Hood and mimics his affected laugh.
- In Delfino Plaza, Super Jeenius references the distinctive way JoshJepson (not present) read out a Rayman dialogue box ("Don't be discouraged, you can do it!") in his famous "Oh my God what was the heck was the what the what the what?!" clip.
- In Delfino Plaza, Chuggaa quotes Persona 3's "Junpei's Believe It or Don't!"
- Robbin Hood Ruins starts with everyone singing "Whistle-Stop" from the opening of Disney's Robin Hood.
- Part 2 has Chugga commenting on the rather exotic names of the towns under attack by monsters; one of which he likens to a Neopet.
- Also in part 2, Chugga makes references to Star Wars and Star Trek in quick succession.
(just defeated a monster and earned a trap from it) Hey, it's a trap! (fade out to the map, where Khan's Castle is nearby) KHAAAAAAAN!
- Chugga and Jon reference All Dogs Go to Heaven in episode 5 when they note that the priest in the Vatic Temple is an anthropomorphic dog.
- Jon does a rather good Dalek impression in the same episode when the Robo-Sassin says "EXTERMINATE!"
- Whenever the guys fight a lizardman enemy, Chugga will eventually make references to Ed, Edd n Eddynote .
- Chugga thinks one of the town mayors looks like Uncle Pennybags from Monopoly.
- At the start of Part 1, Chugga references both Pokemon and, a couple of minutes later, Xenoblade. Funny if you've seen ProtonJon's stream where he accidentally polled his viewers on whether Chugga would mention Pokemon or Xenoblade first the next time they met.
- Right after the above, Chugga starts to go on a tangent about how modern series take the term alchemy out of its original meaning; Tim sneaks in a quote from Fullmetal Alchemist, which Jon calls him out on.
- Part 2: Chugga reacts to an impressive bounty on Jon's head by stating he just needs to take down a few enemy bases to be worth "a hundred million Beris!" Jon confuses it with the Bells from Animal Crossing.
- In part 4, Tim and Chugga duke it out over who gets to control a city. When Tim wins, he decides to prank Chugga by changing his hairstyle to look like poo, which in turn leads to Chugga hoping the hairstyle will look like Poo's ponytail.
- Another Shout Out to This Very Wiki in Episode 9. It included a heartfelt thanks and noting our obsessive attention to detail, Encyclopaedic Knowledge, and Super Speed.
- In part 28, Chugga sings one line from Brentalfloss's Final Fantasy Classic With Lyrics.
From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tournament:
- Tim randomly starts singing part of Mr T's rap lyrics from Epic Rap Battles of History.
- When Jon talks about how Chugga sat down on him without realising he was there, he asks "Am I the Invisible Man?" which prompts Tim and then Chugga to start singing "I'm The Invisible Man" by Queen.
- When Jon says the ball marker on Golf looks like a poker chip, Chugga comments "Can't read my poker chip".
- Tim hums the Super Mario 64 slide race music when Chugga and Jon play Charge!
From Wheel of Fortune:
- In the second part of Washington DC, Chugga makes a joke about Vanna White being a robot, and Jon comments "Vanna 5 Is Alive".