Vampires Are Sex Gods
aka: Vampires Are Sex Goddesses
There was something about them that made me uneasy, some longing and at the same time some deadly fear. I felt in my heart a wicked, burning desire that they would kiss me with those red lips.
tend to have a lot of sex appeal. It may be because Evil Is Sexy
, but not all vampires are evil
, so maybe it's because they're bad boys
or sultry Femme Fatales
. The bloodsucking may be a great source for Fetish Fuel
, something about a quick sting of pain followed by pleasure. Or maybe they just figure hundreds of years of practice at love making makes them really, really good at it. Whatever the reason is, people find vampires arousing, and writers use that to please the fans
, and sometimes themselves
This goes back pretty far, since vampirism has long been a metaphor for sexual activity, sexual predators, and/or sexual transmitted diseases in legends. The very term "vamp"
is an evolution of this metaphor. Vampires' need for blood makes them animalistic predators; therefore, their sexual needs are more basic and rougher, which can be a Fetish
for some people
, hence the expression "necking". The other part of the Trope goes to the Victorian ideals of womanhood: pale, frail, and bloodless, which was the effect of tuberculosis, aka "consumption"
, on women, which is part of where the vampire myth originated. Certainly, a lot of vampires have Raven Hair, Ivory Skin
The question of how vampires can be sexually active despite being clinically dead
(in most settings
), and what it says about the people attracted to them anyway
, tends to be hand waved
or played for squicky
laughs. Other Undead (except possibly death knights, if they - like this sort of vampire - fall into the pale, looks-almost-alive variety) such as Zombies tend not to get this treatment as they are almost always less human-looking
and more obviously dead. It's rare in a Fur Against Fang
scenario, or Vampire-Werewolf Love Triangle
, for Werewolves
to get the same treatment, as sipping from your vein
is easier to make sexy than being mauled and eaten
, but some go ahead anyway to portray that bestial power as alluring
Related to Kiss of the Vampire
and Hemo Erotic
. A subtrope of You Sexy Beast
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Hellsing: Seras is the local Ms. Fanservice. Alucard is somewhat of an example, but his sexuality is presented as far more violent; see his Curb-Stomp Battle of Rip Van Winkle being shot like a rape scene.
- Ruka Souen of Vampire Knight and many other vampires.
- D in Vampire Hunter D.
- Miyu of Vampire Princess Miyu.
- Shido from Nightwalker.
- Moka of Rosario + Vampire part◊, looks the but is The Ditz and about as 'sensual' and 'vampish' as a cardboard box. Inner Moka, on the other hand,◊ is very much more sensual and vampish than a cardboard box.
- A gazillion of characters from Trinity Blood: Abel, Cain, Seth, Astaroth, Ion's friend, Ion's grandma, Shera, Gyulia, etc.
- Mahou Sensei Negima!:
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Dio Brando is so good Even the Guys Want Him, and he's got four sons from four different mothers.
- In Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, vampires are exceedingly bishonen. Then again, it's CLAMP; deranged hobos are probably bishie there.
- Both deBloodeaus, father and son, in Ghost Sweeper Mikami. But it's mostly played for laughs.
- Ouran High School Host Club invokes this when the Ouran boys dress for Halloween.
- Karin from Chibi Vampire. Once it's found out that Karin is the chosen vessel of life that is capable of repopulating the vampire race, she is abducted by other vampires for this very reason.
- Muraki in Descendants of Darkness appears to be an energy vampire.
- Seraphim and Sarasvasti from Is This a Zombie?. Especially Sera - she just stepped on to the stage and was instantly ranked number 7.
- Vassalord is based on this trope, being a Ho Yay-drenched manga about a pair of extremely sexy male vampires who spend a lot of their pagetime having not-quite-sex-but-it-sure-does-look-it with each other.
- Josie from Chester Brown's underground comic Ed The Happy Clown was created specifically to take advantage of this trope.
- Vampirella and her alias, Vampi.
- The vamps in the comic adaptations of the Anita Blake novels are very pretty, as befits the bloodline.
- In The Tomb of Dracula, the Count assaults attractive women in every issue, and the act of biting is often described in sexual terms.
- Lenore the Cute Little Dead Girl is not quite clear on this with Ragamuffin, as all the characters are caricatures. Lenore is mentioned to be extremely cute, in spite of her quite grotesque, morbid traits, implying that both Lenore and Ragamuffin would be beautiful if they were realistically portrayed.
- Vampires in Life Sucks aren't necessarily any better-looking than humans, but with the ability to cloud the minds of others comes the potential to force others to fall in love with them. The protagonist describes it as glorified date rape.
- In The Unwritten, after Richie Savoy gets turned into a vampire, he apparently has lots of sex with gothy vampire groupies. (Helped along by the fact that he's outed himself as a vampire in a bestselling book.)
- NGE: Bloodlust has Rei becoming a vampire. It makes her a borderline nymphomaniac and Maya gets herself off by being fed on by a vamp.
- Discussed in Imperfect Metamorphosis, where part of Yukari's dismissal of Remilia involves mocking how often people and vampires themselves believe this trope, when most of the time vampires are just arrogant blowhards. (In Remilia's defense, having the body of a ten-year-old is not really conducive to a sexy persona.)
Films — Live-Action
- Angel, Spike, Drusilla, and Darla, whose sexual energy is remarked upon by many, including main characters. Oddly they are all "descended" from the Master, who Looks Like Orlok.
- Mocked when Spike's inability to feed after getting the chip installed is a metaphor for impotence.
- Vampire Willow is the only one who integrates sex with her feeding and Cold-Blooded Torture sessions. Like playing sex games with Angel by slowly burning him alive.
- Seen in the opening two-parter — Alpha Bitch Cordelia won't give Jesse the time of day until he becomes a vampire, whereupon he suddenly becomes more assertive, darker, and sexier.
- According to Andrew, one of Dracula's abilities, next to hypnosis and shapeshifting, is "romantic undertones". He seduces his victims, likes to make a connection with them before he feeds from them, and only sires them when they beg for it. A lot of characters mention his "dark, penetrating eyes" and good looks, to the point that even lesbians comment on his sexiness.
- True Blood:
- Bill Compton. Eric and Pam are also sexy, particularly given they run a club for Vampire Fan Boys and Fan Girls.
- The number of hot vampires grows with the appearances of Jessica, Godrick, Lorena, Franklin, and Talbot.
- Lampshaded and justified In-Universe. Vampire blood is prized for its healing powers and is often used as a recreational drug... with the side effect that it gives you vivid and intense sex dreams about the vampire it came from.
- Mitchell (Aidan Turner) from Being Human.
- Mick St. John of Moonlight. See also Josef, Coraline, and Lola.
- Nick Knight and Janette du Charme of Forever Knight.
- Essie from Vampire High.
- Parodied in the Doctor Who episode "The Vampires of Venice", where they're Actually Not a Vampire and not remotely sexy, with a bunch of fish aliens using Perception Filters to disguise themselves as attractive humans, except for their teeth. In the next season the Doctor refers to them somewhat mockingly as as "sexy fish vampires".
- Henry Fitzroy from Blood Ties.
- The Vampire Diaries:
- It's implied when a vampire friend tells Stefan that if he wants Elena to love him, he should just give her a taste of "awesome vampire sex." Stefan admits he wants to, but refrains because he wants her to "have a choice." Thus, it is implied that not only is he a supernatural sex god, he's also a romantic idiot.
- Katherine, Vicki, Caroline, Rose, Klaus, Elijah… Basically every vampire on the show.
- Any vampire character who turns up in Professional Wrestling will be either the standard freakish sort (more common) or this trope. The "sex god" archetype was played to the hilt by Gangrel and Edge (yes, that Edge), who were hot blond studs who also just happened to be vampires.
- Rory in My Babysitter's a Vampire subverts this; he has even worse luck with the ladies than Ethan and Benny, and that's saying a lot. Played straight with Erica and Jesse though.
- Parodied in Supernatural when Dean, while hunting vampires, runs across a teenager who wears fake vampire fangs to pick up girls. Also exploited in the same episode by actual vampires who use the Twilight craze as a ... recruiting tactic.
- The X-Files: Agent Scully repeats many times in "Bad Blood" that she doesn't believe in vampires, yet she admits they're supposed to be extremely charming and seductive creatures. She was completely dazzled by Sheriff Hartwell who happened to be a real vampire.
- Young Dracula: The only unattractive vampires that have been seen are the Westenras.
- In Bram Stoker's Dracula, one of the animated displays has Dracula seducing and biting a woman, to which she moans in pleasure.
- White Wolf:
- Vampire: The Masquerade has the Toreador, Anne Rice-style vampires who stick close to humanity (especially its artists). It helps that they have powers that make them the center of attention.
- Vampire: The Requiem features the Daeva, spiritual heirs to the Toreador who are often called "Succubi" by other vampires for obvious reasons. They carry on the tradition of powers that can make everyone in the room fall in love with them, and the new weakness of having to indulge their Vices at every opportunity or take a hit to their will (most often Lust or Gluttony, but a Daeva with Wrath as their Vice is... something to run away from). Their splat has stories of them being descended from Inanna/Ishtar, a sex goddess of conflict, so, at the very least, they're children of a sex goddess.
- The Lahmia bloodline of vampires in Warhammer consists entirely of gorgeous Femme Fatales. This stands them in marked contrast to the Necrarch and Strigoi bloodlines, who appear to be withered corpses and feral corpse-men, respectively. The Blood Dragon lineages can go either way. While the Von Carsteins don't quite have the same reputation as the Lahmians, they are still intensely charismatic aristocrats and more or less unanimously attractive.
- The vampires of the Innistrad block in Magic: The Gathering play this straight. It helps that, rather than being true undead, Innistrad vampires are ageless immortals who happen to share some vampiric traits like bloodthirst and aversion to sunlight. This fools some humans, who eagerly wish to become vampires themselves. Vampires outside of Innistrad avert this, being undead abominations and looking the part.
- Invoked in the theater skit "Les Branleurs" (literally, "the wankers"; here with a figurative meaning like "the lazy coarse fools") from French comedic group Les Inconnus, three beaufs are discussing their sexual life, then decide to talk about something else. Cue an awkward silence, followed by this:
I rented the Bram Stoker's Dracula
videotape yesterday evening, it was very good. Especially the scene where the vampire bangs the chick! Wow, just for this, I would like to become a vampire!
- Nitara from Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance.
- Lampshaded in Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. When you try to seduce the guy selling blood in the hospital, he says, "I don't do dead chicks."
- Serena of Vampire: The Masquerade – Redemption. In the modern day, have Lily feed from Christof, then select Christof and look at Lily in first person view.
- Vivi from Brain Dead 13.
- Raphael from SoulCalibur. How else did he get maid henchmen...?
- The Dark Master from Quest for Glory IV.
- Dracula in the Castlevania series has tons of sex appeal, whether he's drawn in his mid 20s or early 40s. Carmilla says as much in Castlevania: Judgment, and she's the Lesbian Vampire Trope Codifier! Interestingly, human incantations of either Dracula or Alucard share the same aspects. The few instances we see of Dracula as human or reincarnated as human doesn't seem to lack in sex appeal, Alucard as Genya had the description of being "very cold but inhumanly attractive", Soma is pretty easy on the eyes, and the previous mortal incarnation of Dracula, the supposed Mathias Conquist, was pretty bishonen by most standards.
- In The Tomb of Sammun-Mak, Nefertiti the mole girl finds Jurgen irresistible. Admittedly, even before he becomes a vampire, but even moreso after that. Jurgen lampshades this.
- Suikoden: Sierra is a Friendly Neighborhood Vampire who becomes attracted to one of the main characters, much to his bashful grief.
- Bloodrayne was featured in Playboy, if the games didn't provide enough of a hint.
- Darkstalkers: Demitri Maximoff resides in an elegant (albeit otherworldly) castle and has an outrageously huge harem of female servants to do his bidding. In the Night Warriors/Vampire Hunter OVA, he manages to eventually sway Morrigan with his charm.
- A variation in The Witcher. For the most part, vampires are generic monsters to kill, but there's one particularly intelligent vampire who is the madam of a high-class brothel. (And, like so many other women in the game, Geralt can sleep with her.) Subverted in that they're actually quite innocent (she and her fellow vampiresses are high vampires that don't need to drink blood, they just drink it because it provides an alcohol-like buzz), and are one of the most successful brothels in the city. This doesn't stop a group of knights from a monster-slaying order from storming the place to try and rescue another knight's sister, who had not only come there of her own accord, but also came to escape the marriage that her brother had arranged (with an old, ugly man that apparently has massive hemorrhoids and he's apparently been the scourge of her existence all her life).
- The Elder Scrolls generaly averts this, with vampires being monsters to be slain. However, in Skyrim expansion Dawnguard there is a race of "pureblood" vampires. They look much less ugly, and women wear seductive robes with cleveage (which is quite unusual in the setting) and especially Serana is HOT.