Characters: Choujin Sentai Jetman
Ryū Tendō/Red Hawk | Actor: Kotaro Tanaka
Member of the Skyforce who was given the Birdonic Waves to become the first Jetman. Too bad right after that, the Vyrams attack and he lost his girlfriend Rie Aoi. Ryū goes to lead the Jetmen, but is pretty hung up with Rie's death, moreso when turns out Rie is Brainwashed into Maria of the Vyram
. He thankfully got over it by the end of the series and ends up marrying fellow Jetman Kaori Rokumeikan (White Swan).
- Arranged Marriage: By his grandma, no less.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Gai's Veronica for Kaori's Archie. He wins.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Is one briefly after learning that Rie is Maria, where he loses his mind and starts believing that Rie is him. He gets better.
- Fingerless Gloves: From Gold's Gym nonetheless!
- It's Personal: Has this against Radiguet after he kills Rie, and tries to kill him in a suicide attack with the Fire Bazooka. Ironically survives because Radiguet destroys it and allows the other Jetmen to come to his rescue.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: He gets his own vehicle, the Jet Striker, which is the team's BFG, too. His Jet Hawk is also the biggest among the Jet Machines, and he's the only Jetman to have had formal training beforehand.
- The Leader
- Loving a Shadow: He's pretty hung up about Rie's death. Later, he finds out that the villain Maria is his dead girlfriend.
- Official Couple: Initially with Rie, until she was Killed Off for Real. He and Kaori becomes this in the "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Gai's red.
- Standardized Leader
Gai Yūki/Black Condor | Actor: Toshihide Wakamatsu
A rebellious lone wolf who's just out to enjoy his life before his death. While accidentally struck with Birdonic Wave and being called to become a Jetman, Gai refused being ordered around, especially from someone like Ryū, but his sense of justice got over him and he ends up joining and developing that sense. He makes advances on Kaori, and while at first refused, his persistence paid off... only for him to break it up due to different lifestyles. In the end, he decided to let Kaori marry Ryū, now his best friend. Sadly, while on the way to visit their marriage, Gai tried to stop a mugger and while he succeeded, the mugger stabs him, and he died due to the wounds shortly after he gave Ryū his blessings. The manga epilogue had him replaced by musician Jeffrey Kensaki AKA Green Eagle
Raita Ōishi/Yellow Owl | Actor: Tomihisa Naruse
A fat farmer who at first really doesn't like fighting, even after he's struck with Birdonic Waves. He just wants to be a farmer
... until the Vyrams trample his farm and he ends up fighting anyway. Has a childhood friend named Satsuki whom he eventually married in the end of the series. Despite so, he used to have a crush to Kaori, but decided that she's too good for him and settles with 'being able to protect her'.
- The Ageless: Not with the character, but with Tomihisa Naruse, his actor. It's been 2 decades since the show aired and the man hasn't aged a day. The other actors, not so much.
- Big Eater
- The Big Guy
- Childhood Marriage Promise: With a girl named Satsuki. He does marry her in the end.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Raita has the hots for Kaori, just like Gai, but he never even gets the privilege to go out on a date with her.
- Expy: of Daita Ōiwa, the original yellow ranger himself. Even the names are similar (Ōishi and Ōiwa both mean "large stone").
- Farm Boy
- Genius Bruiser
- Gentle Giant
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Improvised Weapon User: One of his signature moves is hurling rocks at monsters.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: The Feminine Boy to Ako's Masculine Girl.
- Meaningful Name: Ōishi means "big rock". Guess what one of his signature moves is. Oishii, a homophone, sounds like "delicious", referring to his love of food.
- Rock Beats Laser: Despite fighting alien invaders, throwing giant rocks at monsters is still an effective tactic.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Sensitive Guy to Gai's Manly Man.
- Signature Move: Rock Drop...which consists of hurling giant rocks at the enemy.
- The Smart Guy
- Stout Strength: He is one of the more visibly fat Sentai heroes, and one of the strongest physically.
Kaori Rokumeikan/White Swan | Actress: Rika Kishida
Heiress to the Rokumeikan family, at first an extremely Spoiled Brat
, but eventually evolved into Spoiled Sweet
, thanks to Ryū's scoldings. While at first repulsed at Gai, she ends up with him after discovering his heart of gold
, but he broke up with her after introducing him to her high-class family which... pissed him off. Kaori eventually ends up marrying Ryū after much hardships that follows.
Ako Hayasaka/Blue Swallow | Actress: Sayuri Uchida
An Ordinary High-School Student
that accidentally got hit with Birdonic Waves and ends up becoming a star athlete in instant. A bit of materialistic, demanding money here and there, but she instantly got over it, realizing her own sense of justice after the first encounter with the Vyrams, joining the Jetman. She's the tomboy of the team, though she eventually grew over it and in the epilogue, became an Idol Singer... despite being bad at singing while in school.Allies:
Chief Aya OdagiriVillains
One of the Vyram elites spearheading the attack of Earth. He thinks of nothing but himself, not even his queen, and would do every dirty tricks available to make him the supreme ruler of the universe, including betrayal. And he's not above betraying his fellow Vyrams.
- A God Am I: First day of his invasion, he claims to be a God for the Earthling. He probably said that to ANY dimensions he tried to invade.
- Big Bad
- Bishōnen: While he's not as pretty in the actual series, his appearance in the canonically-questionable manga hits this trope.◊
- Blood from the Mouth: Just before he goes down for good.
- Dragon-in-Chief: At first. Empress Juza was the Bigger Bad.
- Enemy Civil War: With Tranza.
- Enemy Mine: Teams up with the Jetmen at least twice. First to take down Empress Juza and later against Tranza.
- It's All About Me: Screw the rest of the Vyrams. Radiguet wants to take everything for himself, even from fellow elites.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: He's a horrible monster, and never assume that there's a nice guy underneath that. It won't end well.
- Manipulative Bastard: If he fell off the villain threat level (due to Juza or Tranza), he usually resorts to this to get back to the top of the food chain, usually using the Jetmen as his pawns.
- Minor Injury Overreaction: During their first fight, Ryu manages to leave a cut on his face, causing him to go berserk.
- Morality Pet: Subverted. When he got amnesiac, he received one. Then he got his memory back... then killed her. The bastard! You just leveled up in Complete Monster department!
- Nigh Invulnerable: His Raguem form is immune to Great Icarus' Bird Maser, but gains a weak point due to a stab wound Rie inflicts on him before dying.
- One-Winged Angel: He has a more powerful, yet uglier form (that he only uses once). He also gains a giant form later called Raguem and fuses with the Vyram base, Vyrock, in the finale.
- The Starscream: To Empress Juza and later Tranza.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: While not exclusive to him, among the Vyram, he makes the biggest habit of saving the Jetmen so he can kill them himself.
- Took a Level in Badass: While he was never harmless, he still tended to fall victim to The Worf Effect to show off a new threat like Juza or Tranza (though he will come back to one-up them), but after draining the power from Tranza's robot, aside from the One-Winged Angel above, he also manages to No Sell the Fire Bazooka.
- True Final Boss
- Ungrateful Bastard: Does owe the Jetmen for not being stuck as somebody's minion, but never changes his opinion of them, and the feeling is mutual.
- Villainous Crush: On Rie, hence turning her into Maria, and a truly sick one at that, as his actions are less about having any feelings for her (he only cares about himself) as much as desiring to posses and control her, even it means reducing her to a mindless slave.
Tran / Tranza