Axis Powers Hetalia: Central Europe
to go back to the character index.
- Amicable Exes: Austria and Hungary are shown as not only close friends but having feelings for each other to the point that they still act as Happily Married long after their divorce.
- Ascended Extra: Austria, Hungary and Prussia have clearly gotten this treatment, being major ensemble characters in themselves. Tied in with Hero of Another Story.
- Big Fancy House: Subverted and played straight:
- Subverted in the case of Chibitalia, Hungary, Austria and HRE. Austria's mansion is pretty big but the end of the Chibitalia strips suggests (if not outright states) that their spending wealth is very limited, which is remarked when HRE leaves the mansion with other Germanic states.
- Played straight with the fancy palace where Austria and Hungary interact with Maria Theresa. It's a Justified Trope considering that Vienna is very famous for palaces like Belvedere or Schonbrunn.
- Big Screwed-Up Family: The Germanic brothers aren't exactly the happiest bunch.
- Cross Dresser: The Italies (when they were little). Although the Italies' dresses may be another historical in-joke.
- Hungary dressing up as a man at times, even when she grew up, could be seen as a holdover from her younger days when she thought herself as male.
- Hair Decorations: Hungary has flower-shaped hairpins.
- Happily Married: Austria and Hungary, even though they're technically and formally divorced.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain / Anti-Villain: Historically, they haven't always been associated with the "good guys," such as in World War II. Then again, given history...
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy: Austria (though he's more a Princely Young Man than girly) and Hungary (though she's more feminine than many blue girls).
- Meido: As a young child living with Austria, Italy used to wear maid outfits. Especially in the Chibitalia chapter, which lampshades the trope when the Holy Roman Empire is seen with a portrait of Chibitalia and is asked if the model was a servant.
- Official Couple: Austria and Hungary.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: Austria and Hungary are the grown-up version of the trope. HRE and Chibitalia also fit... except that Chibitalia is a a boy who dresses as a girl
- Sibling Team: Switzerland and Liechtenstein to an adorable, if uncomfortably close degree.
- The Clan Of The Habsburgs
- The Sound of Martial Music: Austria, though due to historical reasons Hungary plays a large role here as well.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Young Prussia used to think that young Hungary was a boy, until he got to grope her chest. And some other characters thought that Chibitalia (child North Italy) was a little girl (the Holy Roman Empire included), until he hit puberty.
- It's implied, however, that Austria was the only one in Italy's surrounding that, by the time he got his growth spurt, still ignored that he was a boy. Hungary is not surprised at all to see Italy as a young teenager, while Austria is.
open/close all folders
The Holy Roman Empire
Italy, come with me, and become the Roman Empire again!
Voiced by: Jun Konno (JP), Chris Cason (EN)
- Childhood Friend Romance: One-sided on his part with Italy. According to France (in a deleted strip), HRE apparently perished in the war, but some definite hints say HRE actually lost his memory in the war and was found by Prussia later, then raised by him to become Germany.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Type 1 to Chibitalia.
- Ill Boy:In a Christmas strip◊, he appears as a pre-teen with the looks of a 12-year-old boy, yelling at the Germanic states... and collapses due to a cough and some Blood from the Mouth. Hungary has to pick him up in a certain faux symbolic pose.
- Monochromatic Eyes: In the manga and merchandise. Subverted in the anime, where his eyes are changed to be brighter and with pupils and shine to them, as well as in the very recent strip of him as an older child/teen where his eyes are drawn with pupils.
- Nice Hat: A large cap matching his cape.
- Puppy Love: He has a crush on Chibitalia, but he doesn't know Chibitalia is actually a boy. Later, as Germany, he has a crush on Italy again and he's quite scandalized by the fact he tries to date a guy. If he is actually Germany. (Though the hints are really, really laid thick)
- Satellite Character: Is HRE the boss? Does he just own the house? He doesn't interact much with the others. He's not Germany, by the way. Or is he?
- Stalker with a Crush: To Chibitalia, completely played for laughs.
- Tsundere: Arguably, towards Chibitalia.
Hungary - Elizabeta Héderváry
Ah, that horny man is touching his chest! Austria's nipples are sacred things!
- Action Girl: Arguably the most action-oriented female nation, so far.
- Action Girlfriend: To Austria, though this overlaps with Violently Protective Girlfriend once Prussia or France are involved. It's also hinted through canon (and expanded in fanworks) that she's the dominant one in the relationship.
- Arch Rival - At different times to Prussia and Romania.
- Badass: She's pretty much up there with Germany and Prussia in terms of kicking ass.
- Badass Adorable / Cute Bruiser / Girly Bruiser: She started fighting when she was a little girl, and was able to take on both Prussia and Austria successfully. She also averts Chickification by both not being invincible in her "male" days and by being shown as physically strong (if not even stronger) during her "maid" ones.
- Bathing Beauty: She's seen taking a bath with Chibitalia in early strips, and a recent one has her inviting Taiwan to have a soak in◊ Lake Heviz.
- Confirmed in her Volume 5 profile.
- Best Her to Bed Her: Subverted. Apparently, Austria didn't do quite a good job at besting her, but she fell in love with him anyway. While in the 2013 Halloween event, her conditions for Italy to touch her chest were simply a height requirement...which he was too tall for.
- Beware the Nice Ones: This cute and sweet maid brutalizes Prussia's army, watches him get ready to sleep with a spear in hand, and busts down a wall in his home to help out her beloved Austria.
- Bifauxnen: For a request during the April Fool's 2011 event, Himaruya drew her dressed in a prince-like outfit with Liechtenstein. She also had shades of this when she was younger before she discovered she was a woman.
- Her Halloween costume in the 2011 event was also a prince.
- Not to mention her fancy outfit in the Gakuen games also qualifies as this.
- And her uniform which is much more masculine than Belarus and Ukraine's.
- Bi the Way: She's mostly known for being a Yaoi Fangirl who's in love with Austria, but she's implied to be an Extreme Omnisexual. Hungary suggested that Ukraine should wear the traditional ancient Crete dress (which completely exposes the breasts) in this comic strip, she has flirted with Liech, and a blog post pretty much outright says she'll go crazy for cute girls as much as she will with boys.
- Blade on a Stick: Hungary's Weapon of Choice (aside of her frying pan). She also has a rifle, but we never see her use it.
- Blood Knight: She shows signs of then when she's very peeved. Namely when she's out kicking Prussia's ass.
- Bodyguard Crush: Towards Austria.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Can be easily seen as one of the rare female examples.
Hungary: Seize vital regions, seize vital regions... CRUSH PRUSSIA! CRUSH PRUSSIA!
- Bokukko: When she was a child, Hungary spoke rather boyishly, assuming that she was a boy and would grow up into a man (heck, when her breasts started developing, she actually thought that she was sick...). Ever since she grew out of this, though, she has perfectly feminine speech patterns, only reverting to boyish speech when she's very pissed off.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Himaruya originally intended to have Hungary as a crossdressing male. He used this idea for Poland instead.
- Boobs of Steel: Is very well-endowed (though not to Ukraine's Gag Boobs levels), as shown in the scene from the "Noto-sama 5" game where Yamato and Noto peep on her when she's changing clothes◊. Also, in every fanwork that feature "Bust Chart" she'll often be the second after Ukraine("Often", because she may trades place to either Belarus or Taiwan).
- Broken Bird: Often portrayed like this in Dark Fic.
- Camera Fiend: The fans love to peg her as one, based on her Yaoi Fangirl status.
- Then again, she did take photos of the mess around Austria when he was groped by France.
- Chickification: Averted. She's actually manlier than a good chunk of the male cast.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Austria.
- Cool Big Sis: She seems to fit this for Liechtenstein, which fans like to really drive home.
- Covert Pervert: She insists that her love for Austria is "pure," but all the footage she has of him in compromising positions says otherwise. Even France is amazed by how dirty her mind is.
- Daddy's Girl: To Magyar. Tomboy variant.
- Defeat by Modesty. Subverted in this strip, where Hungary doesn't seem to care that her tunic has been ripped to Absolute Cleavage levels after fighting Turkey. Prussia's the one who cares more.
- Flower in Her Hair: She uses flowers and/or flower-shaped hair jewelry. Her pink flower hairpin (apparently a geranium) symbolizes Lake Balaton aka The Hungarian Sea, BTW.
- Frying Pan of Doom: Contrary to what fanon says, she doesn't attack Prussia with this... France is more likely to be her fry-panning target. The frying pan probably comes from 'László the Brave,' a Hungarian slapstick comedy in the vein of 'Punch and Judy,' where the titular hero uses a huge frying pan to beat up his enemies.
- Girliness Upgrade: From a Cute Bruiser Bokukko, to a Team Mom Ninja Maid. Some fans don't like it AT ALL, though.
- Green Eyes: Justified, as it turns out. Hungary has one of the highest percentages of green eyes in Europe.
- Heroic BSOD: Hetalia Hetaween 2013 shows that she feels more meek when she's overwhelmed.
- Hidden Buxom: There was a minor panic over the Volume 5 cover, which seemed to give her a much smaller chest in her uniform but when she was drawn in a swimsuit◊, however, the fear was rapidly lost. Justified in that military uniforms are rather bulky and not necessarily all that flattering.
- Averted with her old armor, which serves to really highlight her assets.
- Improbable Weapon User: Is seen beating up France with her Frying Pan of Doom. Never Prussia, despite what fanon says.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: She didn't seem to mind the fact that her clothes got torn up in one strip, revealing her breasts to Prussia.
- In-Series Nickname: She's called Hun-chan ("Hunny" or "Hun-baby") by Ukraine.
- Lady and Knight: A rare genderflipped example in that Hungary has many traits of a knight rather than a lady (despite being rather feminine herself).
- Ms. Fanservice: In the rare occasion that a female character is on the receiving end of fanservice, it tends to be her. (It's only fair!)
- Named After Somebody Famous: Some fans suspected that she was named after the infamous Elizabeth Báthory. The outfit that she wore for Hetalia Hetaween 2013 more or less confirm this.
- Nightmare Fetishist: According to her Volume 5 profile.
She loves the hot springs and she likes to sing scary songs!
- Ninja Maid: Hungary often dresses up as a meido (especially in the Maria Theresa mini arc). She's also very willing to use her spear to defend herself and/or Austria. Her outfit is a mix of traditional Hungarian dress or folk attire and a maid outfit. In Chibitalia we see Italy working as a maid at the "Holy Roman Empire Household" and dressing up as a maid, and when Hungary is introduced as his Cool Big Sis it's said they're technically in the same situation. And in "France and the frying pan", she's clearly wearing a normal maid outfit.
- One of the Boys: Often portrayed as this in fandom, as well as in canon itself.
- Only Sane Woman: In the days of North Italy and the Holy Roman Empire's childhood. She's the only one who seems to pick up on certain things, like Chibitalia actually being a guy and HRE's obvious crush on him, mainly because Austria is too busy trying to keep the Germanic brothers from rocking the boat too much, and the Germanic brothers are too busy fighting each other... again...
- Otaku Surrogate: Fangirls adore the fact that the girl who appears the most loves male-on-male porn as much as they do.
- Panty Shot: Courtesy of France, of course◊.
- Parental Substitute: Towards Chibitalia.
- Passionate Sports Girl: Play this role in Gakuen Hetalia. She's a member of the swimming team and in the most recent Gakuen strip/TV episode she and Australia are seen lounging around in swimsuits. The PSP game also has her in a sports competition.
- Platonic Life Partners: Kinda hinted to be this with Poland, which is supported by the historical connections between both nations. She refers to him as "Po-chan" ("Popo"), to start.
- Plucky Girl: Described as unlucky, but gets past her hardships.
- Raised as the Opposite Gender: As a child, Hungary had apparently been raised as a boy and even thought herself as one until she recognized herself as a girl. But while she's since become more feminine, there's still a good deal of her masculine upbringing left over especially when she's pissed off.
- Rapunzel Hair: It often depends on the strip, but her hair sometimes is drawn to be past her waist and incredibly thick and wavy.
- Sexy Santa Dress: She's shown wearing one rather seductively in the 2009 Christmas strips.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Wears a Pimped-Out Dress and jewelry in the Christmas strips for 2010. Himaruya later drew her in an even more pimped out dress, alongside Prussia in a nice suit.
- While not quite as pimped out, Himaruya also drew her wearing a simple, but very elegant dress alongside Austria.
- Her prince outfit in Hetaween2011 is also very impeccable.
- Her dress in Hetalia Hetaween 2013 is also rather nice to the eyes.
- She's Got Legs: As illustrations of her old armor highlight.
- Shipper on Deck: She seems to think Chibitalia and HRE are adorable together. Which they are.
- Shotacon: Either this or extreme Cuteness Proximity.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: She and Austria. In her own words from the Gakuen Hetalia script: "My heart is Austrian territory!"
- Also slightly subverted, due to her status as a Yaoi Fangirl. She does love and care for Austria, but rarely minds seeing her husband/boyfriend being felt up by other males...
- Sitcom Archnemesis: She gets riled up whenever Romania's around. As shown in the 2011 Bloodbath, wherein there's already a bad tension in the air when Romania appears before they engage in massive Passive-Aggressive Kombat. Hetalia Hetaween 2013 meanwhile suggests that she also feels this way to a smaller degree whenever France, Spain and Prussia are around.
- Slasher Smile: In at least one occasion, especially if Prussia's involved.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Elisabeth, Elisaveta, Erzsébet, Elizabeth...?
- Stay in the Kitchen: Inverted and subverted. Aside from becoming tough out of necessity, upon realizing that she's female, Hungary seems fine slipping into a more "womanly" mold and becoming Austria's maid. On the other hand, it's shown over time that just because she's a woman doesn't mean she's any less badass than the male Nations. It's no surprise that as an adult, she's both clearly feminine and one of the manlier characters in Hetalia.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Back when she thought herself a boy. Although even grown up, her uniforms tend to be very masculine.
- Tsundere: She has hints of this, especially with Austria and Prussia. Her dynamic with Austria over the centuries is also described as one of both defiance and deep longing.
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal: Prussia, possibly several other nations, and Hungary herself were all rather surprised to find out that Hungary was a girl.
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: For Austria. So much that she once was pictured in the main page.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She's sort of like this with Prussia.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Hungary loves nothing more than watching men having sex. Even if it's her husband. Who are we kidding, she loves it especially if it's her husband. ("Platonic and pure love", OUR FEET!) Justified Trope to a degree, considering Hungary's fame on pornography.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade C in Gakuen Hetalia. One of her outfits when she was younger came close to a Grade A with Thigh-High Boots, but they came up over her pants/leggings.
Austria - Roderich Edelstein
Beethoven attained greatness as an
Austrian. He would count out 60 beans when he drank his coffee. This kind of over-serious behavior is characteristic of Austrians.
Voiced by: Otsu Kou (Flower of Iris CD), Akira Sasanuma (JP), Chuck Huber
- Aloof Big Brother Mentor: Though he served as Italy's mentor and brother figure when Italy was a child, he was also very strict and cold.
- Germany refers to him as a brother figure in the recent manga, and while still a little cold he isn't as strict.
- Awesome Anachronistic Apparel: Compared to most of the Nations, he's more often seen in older suits, is even seen in some canon works gardening while in 18th Century attire and almost always wears a jabot.
- Beauty Mark: And it's an erogenous zone.
- Bishōnen: While it could be argued that this applies to a lot of characters, Art Evolution seems to be hitting Austria hard in the latest manga volumes.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Though more outwardly stoic than outwardly nice, he's also seen his share of action over the centuries.
- Blue Blood: His personality has elements of this, thanks to the Habsburgs.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Hungary. Even when she used to pick on him.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite being a Non-Action Guy nowadays, he used to be quite the fighter, and his armies are magnificent! Which is Truth in Television.
- Also, in one of the strips when he's under attack and both he and Russia are stuck - he refuses to leave the battlefield and attempts to get free from the borderline quicksand he's stuck into. For a Non-Action Guy, that's quite impressive.
- Dichter And Denker: The Dichter part, his musical skill being a nod to Austria's famous composers.
- Elegant Classical Musician: Really handsome, really skilled in piano playing. The official calendar and several fanarts also make him a skilled violinist.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Subverted. While most of his outfits aren't flashy, there's still an element of elegance and class in them, his cravat being a constant.
- Even the Guys Want Him: While pretty much every male has this going on, let's not forget that his beautiful wife loves seeing them hit on him in canon.
- Fantastic Arousal: Well...
- Fashion Dissonance: He tends to dress in more old-fashioned manners, sometimes mixing elements from earlier time periods.
- Glory Days: Similarly to Prussia, he clearly misses his days as a great Empire.
- Idiot Hair: Represents Mariazell.
- Ill Boy: He was in a wheelchair for a time, according to some of Himaruya's notes Also, in a recent manga strip he's seen with injuries in his hands and rather weakened.
- Impoverished Patrician: Just because the glory days of the Habsburgs are over doesn't mean Austria has to act like it. Prussia tries to blow his cover on his penny-pinching ways to Austria's archrival Switzerland. Too bad he forgets that for Switzerland, nothing is nobler than thrift.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Austria's stoic, seemingly aloof facade tends to give this image of him in public.
- Lady and Knight: Compared to Hungary, he's the "lady."
- The Man Behind the Man: Through the Habsburgs, he was essentially this to the HRE.
- Neat Freak: As an aristocrat, he gets angry when seen disheveled. Even if it's by his wife. At least in public anyway.
- On the other hand, it's shown that in private he's not as stringent in keeping up appearances.
- Non-Action Guy: Much to Switzerland's frustration. Luckily, his partner and wife is a Ninja Maid who's more than happy to fight for him, while he remains as Mission Control.
- No Sense of Direction: Says Word of God. Alluded to in the Valentine's strip when Austria is about to go out to get something for Hungary, and Germany tells him that he won't be able to come get him if he gets lost. Austria decides to make something with his own hands instead.
- Again alluded to in Hetalia Bloodbath 2010 when he gets lost looking for the phone that's just in the next room.
- Not So Stoic: He does have considerable control over his emotions. But even he has certain limits.
- Only Sane Man: He sees himself as one, especially compared to Prussia.
- Playing Cyrano: In the Valentine's strip, Germany asks him for help and advice on dealing with Italy.
- Princely Young Man: Of the Ice King type. He's described often as a 'young master' type of character.
- Purely Aesthetic Glasses: Word of God says he's wearing glasses because he looks rather plain without them. The Art Evolution, however, has hit him particularly hard.
- Purple Eyes: Alluded to Purple Is Powerful with the House of Habsburg.
- Real Men Wear Pink: He sees himself as highly cultured, enjoys gardening and seems to be better at making pastries than actually fighting. And that's not counting the corset in Hetalia Bloodbath 2011. This is in turn in contrast to Hungary.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Germany/North Italy in the Buon San Valentino strips.
- Stoic Spectacles: Actually, Austria has a great emotional range: he can be 'solemn', 'sullen', 'stern', 'saturnine', 'harsh' and 'sterner'.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: He really is or at least can be soft and gentle beneath his stoic facade.
- Supreme Chef: Implied at first, confirmed here His speciality is baking.
- Team Dad: To The Clan.
- Tall, Dark, Handsome And More Than A Bit Snarky.
- Understanding Boyfriend: While he's concerned for Hungary's well-being, in the end he knows that if she wants to fight, he'd better let her... since she will go One Woman Army and destroy the enemy. Considering their childhood, he knows it firsthand!
- Uptight Loves Wild: Him and Hungary, specially now that they're still somewhat in a relationship despite their divorce.
- Vestigial Empire: He may no longer be a high and mighty Empire (and he sure misses it). But that hasn't stopped him from acting as though he still is one.
- Weak, but Skilled: As Maria Theresa so aptly demonstrated, he's not exactly the epitome of fitness even back in his Glory Days. On the other hand, he is shown to be very talented in general and also tries his best to perform well in the battlefield whether it works or not.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: He's TERRIFIED of sea creatures according to a Drama CD where he freaks out twice from Italy's catches, once over a crab and once over a sea star.
Prussia - Gilbert Beilschmidt
Mission Complete! Praise me! Hail me! On your knees!
Voiced by: Atsushi Kousaka (JP), Jonathan Brooks (EN)
- Air Guitar: Does this with a broom in the anime. And it's glorious.
- Attention Whore
"I really wanna make an appearance. One that will burn the memory of my existence into their hearts."
- Badass: More so in the historic times, when he was "not a country with an army, but an army with a country."
"Since birth, he has been wielding his sword for his own survival, so he is very strong."
- Badass Adorable: Back when he was younger, especially.
- Badass Cape: During the Maria Theresa story arc.
- Badass Long Robe: Wears a white surcoat while being the Monastic State of The Teutonic Knights, and a black religious robe while being the Duchy of Prussia.
- Basement-Dweller / Neet: Possibly one in the modern times, as he now lives in Germany's house instead of running a state of his own. It's unclear how much he contributes to the household chores, or taking care of the stately business. Apparently Germany does most of the work, and Prussia helps here and there. Fanon often depicts him as an outright Neet, and (potentially since then obsoleted) Word of God implies the same:
"Now he lives as a good-for-nothing at Germany's house and as an exclave in Russia!"
- Beneath the Mask: Beneath his arrogant rudeness he does have other kinds of feelings too, namely loneliness. He doesn't like showing them to others, and only lets them see his Jerkass persona. Also see Hidden Depths below.
- Berserk Button: Prussia seems to have a number of these, such as words that sound like Mark.
- Big Brother Mentor: He's supposed to be this to Germany. Even though he doesn't really accomplish his job.
- He had better results with America, though. Sort of.
- Bi the Way: Has had some "moments" with Hungary, and is apparently interested in Italy. Not to mention there's the Foe Yay with Austria...
- Blatant Lies: He's so happy being alone! And no, he's absolutely not bitter at the sight of couples filling the street around him!
: It's so much fun being alone again that I can't stop laughing. Ha ha ha
- Blood Knight: He was created to attack and enslave all the other characters here and that's all he lives for.
- Boisterous Bruiser: According to himself he likes fighting, eating, sleeping and Old Fritz. Is almost always seen with a big grin on his face.
- Break the Haughty: Whenever he tries to conquer and enslave others, even if he succeds, he'll be knocked off that pedestal VERY soon.
- Broken Ace: He brags about his various talents, but it's left uncertain to which extend he can back those claims.
- Butt Monkey: More so in the earlier days, but even now his many of his appearances have at least a touch of this.
- Celibate Hero: Part of the package of being a Teutonic Knight. Then, he demands that Poland let him touch his balls.
- Characterization Marches On / Character Development: Has developed from a more or less villainous, pathetically lonely Blood Knight character into a merely eccentric guy with a pretty normal social life, and more lately it's been increasingly hinted his truest self is something else entirely. In Himaruya's own words:
"He was originally designed as a villain-like character, but became much derpier with the time."
"But surprisingly, his true nature is the methodical, severe, serious older brother of Germany!"
- Childhood Friend Romance: Many fanworkers are fond of making him an Unlucky Childhood Friend in regards to Hungary. He can also switch to Victorious Childhood Friend when written/drawn as a "second option" for her (in either a Slap-Slap-Kiss or The Masochism Tango way), if Hungary is not paired up with Austria.
- Chivalrous Pervert: As mentioned below, Prussia talks big, but when it comes to actually seeing his childhood "friend" Hungary pretty much naked, he freaks out.
- Corner of Woe: Prussia has an Altar of Woe.
- Cute Bruiser: Especially back when he was a child.
- Cute but Cacophonic: The laughter is only a beginning. In the Anime he even drinks beer while making annoying and strange sounds.
- Cuteness Proximity: "Gilbird!"
- Daddy's Girl: Or boy, to Fritz.
- Death Fic: Often gets them, as because of his dissolution it's rather likely he'll die some time in the near future. Though canon makes it abundantly clear he's not dead yet.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best- Fritz was like a father to him. And he's dead. So…
- Diary: over 250,000 entries long, if he's really written in it every day. That was a pretty impressive library he opened up...
- Determinator / From Nobody to Nightmare: Has at least twice started from humble origins and by conquest and fervent work built himself into a power to be recognized.
"He was the odd one in the HRE and by overcoming the odds he continued to gain strength and grew into a military state that could take on large-scale battles, leading to being acknowledged by the other Germanic states."
- Doting Big Brother: To Germany.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: To America during The American Revolution.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Had blond hair and blue eyes in his earliest colored appearances. Himaruya quickly lightened his hair and gave him red eyes, as he felt the original color scheme made him look too much like Russia (although Russia's eyes would also be changed to purple).
- East Germany: Became this after WW2. In a little panel, he arrived at Germany's house (after the reunification) in his "cardboard car" (a reference to the infamous Trabant).
- Evil Albino: Less evil and more jerk, though.
- Evil Laugh: He's fufufu'd in his time.
- Fleeting Passionate Hobbies: The most recent one is reading books at a rate of four per day, or so he claims.
- Foil: To Austria in personality and looks, but especially in their ways of gaining and maintaining power.
"It is said that Austria built an Empire without fighting (this could be really considered a great luck...), but Prussia, probably because he came so late, had no other choice but to fight bitterly for his greatness."
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: The foolish sibling to Germany responsible sibling. Or at least it looks like that in current times (see Hidden Depths).
- For the Evulz: On Valentine's and Xmas he realizes just how lonely he is...so this calls for Ship Sinking.
- Glory Seeker: He loves nothing more than to be held in high regard and praised, and he will pay through the nose for it.
- Hidden Depths: According to Word of God his true nature is serious, methodical and severe, making him Not So Different with Germany.
- Hot-Blooded: Even after his dissolution.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: He's willingly to do anything to become strong.
- It's All About Me: To the point of being a Narcissist.
- Japanese Pronouns: He uses Ore-sama to refer to himself. That says a LOT.
- In English it tends to be translated as "the awesome me" by fansubs and fanfics.
- Jerk Ass: Played for laughs.
- Keet: Rather hilariously, as he seems to believe himself to be Rated M for Manly.
- Kick the Dog: Can be quite cruel to Austria.
- Light Is Not Good: His The Teutonic Knights uniform was white, and his flag is white with narrow black stripes.
- Loners Are Freaks: He claims that he enjoys being alone, but evidence says that he doesn't enjoy not having friends.
- One of the Kids: As he is no longer a country, his position is like that of a young teenager who's still reliant on their guardian. He has to take orders from his younger brother.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Subverted when he was a child: as a Teutonic Knight he was bound to celibacy. After becoming secularized he seems to have dropped his chasteness. Though we're let to understand he's not very succesful in courting anyone, so for all we know he could still be a virgin.
- Men Don't Cry: He's incapable of admitting he's feeling any kind of weakness, sadness or fear. However, Prussia breaks down in tears rather often, but mostly manages to pull off some sort of Manly Tears. While insisting things like
"I'm so happy to be alone it makes me cry!"
- Mugging the Monster: Oh Prussia, it really isn't a good idea to pick fights with the resident Psychopathic Manchild, especially when he's gonna seize control of you in the future...
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Apparently he is stronger than Germany!
- Season five of the anime shows him as pretty well toned, and he could go for lifting weights longer than Germany could.
- Mysterious Past: Usually with Hetalia you can pretty much read each character's life story from Wikipedia. But this nation-tan character is more or less artifically created, as one cannot draw a clear line from The Teutonic Knights to the kingdom of Prussia, let alone from there to East Germany. Therefore much of his life is left for Canon Fodder.
- Neat Freak: Evidencing that he and Germany are Not So Different after all.
- Nice Hat: He actually wears the legendary/notorious Pickelhaube in the Austro-Prussian War preview. (The image for Prussia and his soldiers wearing the Pickelhaube can be shown here on an entry in Himaruya's blog, although you don't literally see the point on Prussia's hat.)
- His 18th Century tricorne is pretty sweet, too.
- The Nicknamer: To some extend. West, Old Fritz, the Aristocrat, Four-Eyes, Specs, the Pervert...
- No Social Skills: Played for laughs (especially when he read a book about how to make friends), even if his characterization as the freak with no friends has since marched on. He also seems to just plain enjoy annoying people with his tactless behavior.
"Alright! It's fun to poke that aristocrat and see his reaction!"
- Non Human Side Kick: Gilbird, a small yellow bird flying around him and perching on his head or shoulder.
- OOC Is Serious Business: As he usually keeps up his grin even when he's feeling miserable or insecure, when he gets serious something big is going on. Most notably did this while Hungary came into accepting she's a female.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: at the sight of a teenaged Hungary with her tunic ripped, he blushes intensely and later hands her his own cape. I can hear the Prussia/Hungary shippers squealing from here.
- Psychotic Smirk: His more usual smile.
- Raised by Dudes: Hinted by Hungary in one comic, mentioning how Prussia was "surrounded only by men" since birth. All the other characters are nations by birth, and have grown up representing normal people of both genders leading normal lives from the cradle to the grave. For a long time Prussia represented nothing but already grown-up males leading a militaristic, ascetic life style.
- Real Men Love Jesus: As a child.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Generally averted (or just played for laughs), but when he's a serious threat...
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Germany. They even have red eyes and blue eyes, respectively.
- Religious Bruiser: As a kid.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: With Germany.
- Skinship Grope: To Hungary, though he thought she was male at the time. That she is female is from then on abundantly clear.
- Soulsaving Crusader: How he saw himself when he was the Teutonic Knights.
"Convert the nonbeliever!"
- The Spartan Way
" Prussia around this time was really ghastly in a lot of ways, huh."
- Spell My Name with an "S": There is a speculation for the spelling of his surname for either "Weillschmidt" or "Beilschmidt". However, Beilschmidt is considered the more correct spelling by most fans, since it is an actual German name unlike Weillschmidt.
- Spoiled Brat
"Indulged by the Pope, Chibi!Prussia (the Teutonic Order) knew few boundaries in what he did."
- Stepford Smiler
"I enjoy being lonely!"
- The Strategist: Learns his Strategy-fu from Old Fritz, and is later shown teaching it to Germany. It's necessary for him, as he's not the nation blessed with the largest of population, or the most advantageous of geography.
- The Teutonic Knights: The fact that Prussia was formed from an armed wing of the Catholic Church tells you everything about him you need to know. Canonically he's both this and later Prussia.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Beer, beer, beer!
- Also pancakes with maple syrup, ever since Canada introduced them to him.
- While potatoes are more connected with Germany, they deserve a special mention as Prussia was taught to eat them by Old Fritz. After some persuading, that is.
- Training from Hell: He does this on America during The American Revolution, where he forces him to do push ups while he whips him with a riding crop.
Author's Note: Prussian-style is extremely harsh. Training; Abuse; Training; Abuse
- Undying Loyalty: Said to be very loyal to his bosses, and shown to still be very fond of Old Fritz's memory.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Averted when he was an actual child, but he was a relatively nice teen. He mellowed out after coming under Poland's rule, and was modest and unremarkable in comparison to his siblings. Then House Hohenzollern and Brandenburg came along and the rest, as they say, is history.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With France. The whole Spain/France/Prussia friendship started out as Fanon, and was given Ascended Fanon treatment by Himaruya.
- Also with Austria and Hungary.
- Warrior Monk: Was born as one.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Downplayed - he's not one bit aloof, is usually depicted as ego-centric and malicious jerkass but a good and loveable person. But he plays this very straight at times, such as when he was going to decapitate Poland after he surrendered.
Switzerland - Basch Zwingli
Don't get in the way of my gun!
- Aloof Older Brother: Is this at a glance. But boy does he subvert it.
- Berserk Button: People coming uninvited to his house.
- Also, don't be talking smack about his pajamas; Liechtenstein spent 52 days making them, dammit!
- Captain Obvious
- Doting Adoptive Brother: He may not seem it at first, due to his aloof nature, but he's shown taking care of Liechtenstein to the point of giving her his food when he didn't have enough to eat for himself. He also buys her a ribbon when a passerby mistook her for a boy which obviously upset her, and we know how stingy this guy is.
- Grumpy Bear: He beats out Germany in pessimism, and is not big on making friends.
- He Was Never My Heterosexual Life Partner: He does not like to remember that he and Austria used to be friends as children.
- Hypocrite: As his infamous first line in the dub highlights...
- Icy Green Eyes: For his grumpy, impersonal nature to anyone not his sister. His eyes can also be an allusion to the diverse landscape of icy mountains, clear blue lakes and rivers, and the green fields and forests his land is often noted for.
- Ineffectual Loner: He's shown to be rather reclusive and doesn't seem to like parties, not to mention his infamy of keeping others out of his land by shooting at them. But at the same time, he still ends up talking to Austria in modern day and when France comes to visit him, he openly complains and seems very annoyed but doesn't actually make an effort to throw him out. Then there's Liechtenstein...
- Knight Templar Big Brother: Switzerland is very protective of Liechtenstein.
- Morality Pet: Who knows how much more of a jerk he would be without Liechtenstein around.
- Nice Hat: A nice beret.
- Not Blood Siblings: With Liechtenstein, along with a full bucket of Relationship Writing Fumble and Ship Tease.
- Not Love Interest: Well, he is the most important person to Liechtenstein, as she practically adores him and worships the ground he steps on (even though their relationship gets pretty ambiguous sometimes).
- Real Men Wear Pink: Girly pink pyjamas, that is. They're a present from Liechtenstein; she gave him the wrong ones by mistake, but he doesn't mind... because they're from his sister, dammit.
- Rich Jerkass: He's a miser, paranoid, xenophobic and trigger-happy. The only person that he is close to is his sister Liechtenstein (and formerly Austria, even though Switzerland denies it until the cows come home), which shows that he might be a Jerk with a Heart of Gold (only very heavy on the "jerk" part, with his Hair-Trigger Temper).
- Self-Made Man: He worked himself to the top.
- Spell My Name with an "S": While his last name is undoubtedly Zwingli, is his first name Vash, Basch, Vasch, or what?
- The Gunslinger: His Weapons Of Choice are several different guns, but personality-wise, he's more like a parody of the trope. Not to be confused with that other Vash, though.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cheese. Not too susprisingly that Switz people eat most cheese in the world.
- Trigger Happy: Shooting is his first response to (naked) intruders.
- Tsundere: Switzerland is a combination of Tsun Type A and He Was Never My Heterosexual Life Partner to Austria. The Gunslinger is especially fond of The Violent Approach (duh), going deredere (and VERY much so) only for Liechtenstein.
- Tsurime Eyes: Showing his harsh nature, contrasting with Liechtenstein.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: Towards Austria, arguably. Fanworks are fond of making his feelings to him completely onesided and without possible reciprocation.
- Why Couldn't You Be Different?: He "created" Austria (whose name means 'eastern division') to fight, which is not really Austria's strong point.
If my brother is happy, then so am I...
- A-Cup Angst: In the Lady Looks Like A Dude incident, when the old woman mistakes Liechtenstein for a boy, poor Liechtenstein goes Blue with Shock and touches her very flat chest. Brought up again in the fourth manga voume, when she discusses national dresses with the much bustier Ukraine and Hungary.
- Bifauxnen: While in uniform, without the ribbon, although she's a little younger and cuter than the typical Bifauxnen.
- Blue Blood: Similarly to Austria, in part due to being a Principality. Not to mention being named after her ruling dynasty.
- Cuteness Proximity: Seems to be a habit of hers; she reacts this way to Switzerland's drawings, Switzerland wearing the frilly pink pajamas she gave him, and KugelMugel.
- Dying Alone and Death by Despair: Thanks to Switzerland, she barely escaped from this.
- I Owe You My Life: Predictably, Liechtenstein is very grateful to her brother and thinks he definitely saved her.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Sports a Nice Crown in a few sketches and illustrations as a reference to her flag.
- Girlish Pigtails: She wore her hair in like this in two braids before her Important Haircut.
- Hair Decorations: After the Lady Looks Like a Dude incident, Switzerland buys her a hair ribbon.
- Heartwarming Orphan: According to the published manga, the poor little girl was on her own and passed through several hardships before she was found and adopted by Switzerland. No mention of her "biological" parents or anybody who took care of her and her people until then. This happened right after World War I, since the union with Switzerland dates from 1919.
- Important Haircut: Liechtenstein used to have long braids. At the beginning of her first strip, she cuts said braids off to both look more like her brother and be more comfortable. The webcast episode featuring these strips actually begins with her cutting off said braids.
- In-Series Nickname: Switzerland and Ukraine calls her "Liechten".
- Monochromatic Eyes: Uniquely among the Germanic nations. Though the Holy Roman Empire had similar eyes when he was a small child.
- Morality Pet: Who knows how much more of a jerk Switzerland would be if she wasn't around.
- Nice Hat: Sports a cute one in a chibi illustration of her in a nice dress, as well as another one in the 2011 Bloodbath.
- Also a beret like her brother's while in her uniform.
- Not Blood Siblings: With Switzerland.
- Not Love Interest: She's definitely the most important person in Switzerland's life.
- Plucky Girl: Word of God calls her mature and strong-willed, possibly a reference to the country's refusal to join with the Soviet Union. And how she handles her brother's mood swings without even lifting her eyebrows. Remember, being quiet and softspoken does not automatically equal to being insecure.
- Proper Lady: Has the personality traits: hardworking, mature, polite, very competent in housework, sweet and devoted to those she loves without being an Extreme Doormat. In fact, she is so far the only girl to be considered as such. Just compare with either Hungary, Belarus or Vietnam
- Rags to Riches: Her living standards were still kinda shaky and unwell until World War II was fully over, even with Switzerland's help. And now she and her lands are freaking loaded.
- Sexy Santa Dress: Drawn wearing one during one of the Christmas Events. Albeit not incredibly revealing, it was a lot shorter than pretty much all of her other dresses.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: According to this entry. Such a pretty dress!
- Shipper on Deck: For Austria/Switzerland during Bloodbath 2011 apparently. She actually says she enjoys her brother talking to Austria.
- Tareme Eyes: Contrasting with Switzerland.
- Teen Genius: Very tech-savvy, according to Word of God.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Due to her, um, lack of secondary characteristics, Switzerland just buys her a blue hair ribbon so no one mistakes her for a boy again.
- The Gunslinger: In Fanon as a consequence of her emulating Switzerland constantly. She has been occasionally shown in some sort of military training with him, carrying a rifle on her back, so somewhat confirmed.
- The Unpronounceable: At one point in the dub, the Narrator apparently has trouble pronouncing Liechtenstein's name correctly. When she does, the child audience cheers.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade C with her Gakuen uniform.