Battle Royale Pichi Pichi Pitch is a Play-by-Post forum roleplay of Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, hosted on FanFiction.Net. Taking place an unspecified amount of time after canon ends, the mermaid kingdoms are recovering from a war that spanned all seven seas. Lucia is now the new Aqua Regina, and is trying to get the kingdoms back together.
However, an ancient evil threatens to cut her long and (mostly) peaceful regime short. Unfortunately, the seven Mermaid Princesses and their kingdoms are in no state to save the world and are still on the verge of war with each other. The Fates instead appoint seven Saviours as their champions instead, to carry out the duty of the Mermaid Princesses and set the world back on track.
In addition to having their new duty, the Saviours must struggle with fighting against prejudice left behind by the Ocean War, not to mention the problems that they themselves have
Also has a novelized version which can be found here.
Battle Royale Pichi Pichi Pitch contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Jasmine is this, being the most physical fighter of the Saviours. Shelia is this too, to the point where she often forgets she has magical powers and fights with her claws instead.
- Aerith and Bob: Justified. The characters come from different areas, and most do somewhat match up with their area of origin. The admin also makes it a point in the character submission profile to make sure the names make sense for the characters. Still, the names range from English (Jasmine, Helen, Luna), to Japanese (the human characters), to made up (Aren).
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Kazi ruffles Jasmines hair in Episode 7.
- Amnesia Episode: The early part of Episode 9 culminates in an amnesiac Jasmine after Kazi attempts to talk her out of her PTSD. Combined with Trauma-Induced Amnesia down below until Episode 10, where she regains her memory in time to pull off a Big Damn Heroes moment.
- Animated Actors: In one of the OOC topics, the characters are presented as actors for a television show.
- Apparently Human Merfolk: The Panthalassans, of course, who look completely human in and out of water, as pointed out by Jasmine in Episode 7.
- Artistic Age: Like in canon, few of the characters actually look their age. Some of the most evident are teens who look like theyre adults, Jasmine in particular is around the fifteen-sixteen age group and looks like shes already eighteen to twenty.
- Big Bad: Malus, the ancient evil referred to in the summary and by Lucia.
- Big Damn Heroes: Several instances, for example:
- Kazi's early aid when Jasmine tells the others to move on during Episode 2.
- Jasmine's return to the Saviours in Episode 6 against Serena.
- Mizmi's inteference in the battle against the Horsemen in Episode 11
- Birthmark of Destiny: The Saviours arent actually born with their marks, but rather get them once they make physical contact with another Saviour of their own volition.
- Calling Your Attacks: Kazi, while not in the manner of the show, does a more typical one of calling out spell names as he casts. The mermaids on the other hand tend to avert this.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: As in canon, Panthalassans have a golden, glowing cross on their forehead whenever they use their powers. It also serves as the symbol of the Panthalassan Clan.
- Curtains Match the Window: This applies for almost all the mermaids as well as some of the other characters. Also, despite her profile saying she has black hair, Jasmine is typically illustrated with a dark blue sheen in her hair as compared to Lila, who also has black hair but has grey highlights instead.
- Expy: Several of them:
- Jasmine almost crosses the line into being a straight-out expy of Homura Akemi, but treads the line due to not starting as a full-on expy but rather deliberately emphasized to be one later on.
- Pearl and Serena Anarchy are expies of Panty and Stocking Anarchy respectively.
- Similarly to Jasmine, Ira started out merely being inspired by Jasper, but evolved into a full expy later on.
- Five Races: Humans (Mundane), mermaids (Fairy), Ancients (High Men), Panthalassa and Demons (both High Men + Fairy).
- Good Witch Versus Bad Witch: Mermaids, Panthalassans, Demons, and Ancients are on both sides of the fights, and they even fight each other most of the time.
- Hair Colors: Used as an indicator of nationality in the mermaid world, but otherwise means nothing for the other races. It also helps identify a human who has mermaid heritage, as seen with Kazuma Yoshiro.
- Horsemen of the Apocalypse: The four, Pestilence, Famine, War, and Death appear in Season One, Episode 11. Conquest is said to be locked away by what is presumed to be Hadrian's journal.
- Interspecies Romance: Several couples display this, Helen and Lila's parents (Mermaid and Human and Human and Ancient respectively) among the Saviours. Kazi and Lizzy (Panthalassan and Earth Demon) are also this, as well as Lucian and his wife Cera (Water Demon and Mermaid)
- Mineral Macguffin: The Mermaid Princesses pearls are extraordinarily powerful and somehow manage to lend power to the Sins. Also, the pearls of mermaids in general are the source of their power lose them and you basically lose yourself, like Luna is doing. The Princesses are exempt from this rule.
- Orcus on His Throne: Sloth, well, somewhat after his introduction in Episode 1. He stops being this when he gets Majas pearl, but otherwise plays this relatively straight
- Princesses Rule: The Mermaid Princesses are shown as having to deal with politics and paperwork, and are the rulers of their respective kingdoms.
- Really 700 Years Old: Kazi looks like hes in his early twenties when hes over 6,000. Lizzy is also this, looking around the same age while being over 5,000. The same applies to any of the other characters who are not mermaids.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The Princesses are juggling politics, paperwork, and fighting whatever evil that tries to get them.
- Water Is Air: Big time. Running water at the bottom of the ocean seems to be nothing.
- Wizards Live Longer: The Panthalassa Clan are the strongest magic-users of the Five Races, and along with the demons, are noted to be very long-lived.
- You Can't Fight Fate: You cant fight what the Fates tell you to do, nope. Lucia ascending to become Aqua Regina was their manipulation, and the Saviours, though initially reluctant, are subject to this before they accept their task.
- Young and in Charge: Four out of seven of the Mermaid Princesses are younger than 17 and are the ultimate authority.
- You're Insane!: Gaito utters this to Kazi, to which Kazi responds:Kazi: All the best minds are crazy.