A group of characters gets wet for whatever reason, like by falling into a river or stream. Upon climbing out and finding themselves lost in the woods, they do the first, most logical thing. They take off their clothes and hang them on a branch or over a fire to dry them off. This can lead to an awkward situation, as all the people are now either in their underwear or naked.
Depending on the people involved, it could be an awkward situation never to be spoken of again or a chance for the relationship between two characters to develop. If you have a man and a woman, expect them to spend a night sitting back to back (to share body heat) and have an intimate, heartfelt conversation. When their clothes are finally dry, she will probably thank him for taking such good care of her...or threaten to kill him if he ever mentions it again. Or even both.
- Happens in Kyou no Go no Ni when Ryota accidentally squirts milk on Megumi and spills soup on Yuki, Megumi's tank top and Yuki's skirt are then seen drying on the windowsill in the Nurse's office where Megumi and Yuki are covering up with a sheet.
- Happened to Cagalli in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED when she was on the deserted island with Athrun.
- Happens to Shinn and Stella of Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny after the latter dances off the edge of a cliff. Also constitutes a Naked Second Impression, as it's the first time the two actually meet. (Their first interaction was a Thanks for the Mammary Crash-Into Hello, but there's no indication that either of them actually recognize each other from the incident.)
- Nagasarete Airantou: This happened to Yukino and Ikuto in chapter 9, Machi in chapter 34 and Ayane and Suzu in chapter 59.
- One fanservice-y Betty and Veronica comic had the girls fall out of their boat while on a fishing trip, forcing them to hide in the bushes wearing nothing but their bras for a few hours while their clothes dried in the sun. Hilarity Ensues when a passing Boy Scout troop nearly makes camp on the trail right between them and their clothes.
- Happens in Bringing Up Baby. Susan accidentally drops one of David's socks into the fire while trying to dry it, and then tosses the other one in to match.
- Happens to the protagonist and his guardian angel in It's a Wonderful Life. Then we discover that the angel's underwear is outdated by two centuries.
- In The Man from Kangaroo, John Harland dives into the river fully clothed to save a drowning boy. He takes his clothes off and hangs them out to dry on a branch. The local boys persuade him to give them swimming lessons while his clothes dry. While he is doing so, his girlfriend comes along, finds his clothes, and ties them into knots as a practical joke.
- In Mansfield Park, Mary Crawford is very keen to help unlace Fanny's wet things after Fanny gets caught in the rain. (The subtext was quite intentional on the director's part.)
- That Man From Rio - Adrian and Agnes are driving from Rio to Brasilia in an open roadster - at night they're caught in a drenching storm unable to put the top up. Next morning they're on the road in their underwear, clothes drying on a makeshift line. By this point Adrian has had enough of this adventure he's been dragged into, and stops at a police station to turn himself in.
- In Laurel and Hardy film Way Out West, Ollie Hardy is huddled miserably in a blanket while his clothes dry on a line after he walks into a deep hole in a shallow stream twice. He does it again a third time at the very end of the movie.
- Book two of Barbara and Scott Siegel's Fire Brats series (about a pair of teenagers surviving World War III) has this occur when Matt and Dani travel by raft. They get dunked and soaked, and Dani passes out, seeming feverish — leaving Matt to decide that they both need to strip to underwear to prevent serious illness or hypothermia. Being a gentleman, he covers her in leaves rather than look ... but there's still an awkward moment the next morning.
- The Sound of Waves: This happens with Shinji and Hatsue. They're up a mountain together at night for some reason when their clothes get wet, so they dry them by the fire. They're in love but they just embrace chastely because they are virtuous, honorable country folk, unlike those debauched city-educated types.
- Happens in Final Fantasy V, leading to the reveal that Faris Is a Girl.
- In Mother 3, when Flint reunites with Lucas and Claus in Chapter 1, they're huddled in blankets with their clothes hanging by a fire.
- In Project Rub, the hero and the girl get washed up on the shore of a desert island. A scene like this follows a minigame in which the hero nervously helps the girl undress.
- In Nightshade, Hanzo and Enju do this at one point after getting soaked by a rainstorm.
- Popeye and Bluto do this in Alona of the Sarong Seas.