On an alternate version of Earth, a Magitek, transdimensional dragon-led empire called Concordia has risen to prominence. One of the many young people resenting the dictatorial status quo, Mathias receives a mysterious invitation to a website, Magik, allowing users to buy magical powers with a currency earned by fulfilling strange requests. Eager to strike back after Concordia arrested his mother, Mathias decides to use Magik to rebel. However, juggling between his new sorcerer identity, the Shroud, and his private life turns out a bit more difficult than expected.
Magik Online began in January 2019 and updates regularly on Wednesday.
This series provides examples of:
- Alien Invasion: Earth was conquered by an interstellar empire of fantasy creatures ten years before the start of Magik Online consisting of a dragon led army of hobs, bullmen, werewolves and many more species.
- Anti-Villain: The werewolf Captain John Kresnik is quickly revealed to be one upon his arrival at the end of the first arc. Despite serving the Concordian Empire he is a Great Detective who fights For Great Justice, truly wants to protect the people, shows legitimate sorrow at the deaths a cult caused and is generally all around more likable than his boss, Smokefang.
- The Conspiracy: The first enemies Mathias fights is a human-sacrificing cult consisting of Evermarsh's impotent human authority figures run by Mayor John Brown, who have turned to occult means to regain their former status.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Mathias' main spell, "Glass Field" grants him perfect control over every piece of glass within a ten-meter radius.
- The Empire: Concordia, a transdimensional empire led by dragons and fielding steel golems called Gearsmen as shock troops. They conquered Earth a decade before the story's start, renaming it "Terra Firma."
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The Evermarsh conspiracy sought to summon a demon by sacrificing other humans to strike back against Concordia. The demon summoned, the Candlemaker, kills them all after they defaulted on the last sacrifice.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Mathias spends most of the first arc learning how to use the various spells he purchased and how the Magik website works.
- Magitek: the setting's dominant feature, with magic and science having become one.
- Mecha-Mooks: A majority of Concordia's normal forces consist of Gearsmen; flying multi-purpose, mechanical attack bots.
- Mysterious Backer: The Administrator to a tee. He gives Mathias access to Magik Online, which gives non-magical beings the ability to become sorcerers by having an account. But their identity is a complete mystery, they only communicate through chat messages, and Mathias needs to fulfill 'Quests' for his benefactor in order to gain Spellcoins needed to buy new spells.
- One Steve Limit: The mayor of Evermarsh is named John Brown. He's quickly killed off and not a chapter later is Captain John Kresnik introduced.
- Post-Modern Magik: the website Magik, which allows users to purchase magical powers through a currency called Spellcoins.
- The Right of a Superior Species: Concordia is founded on the belief that dragons are inherently the strongest and wisest race and it's their job to enlighten and uplift lesser species. Basically, they conquer everyone and forcibly integrate them into their culture and sadly have more than enough power to back it up.
- She Is the King: Concordia's leader is called 'Grandmaster'. A position held by a female dragon named Wyrde since its founding.
- You Are a Credit to Your Race: Despite being openly speciest and oppressive Concordia openly practices exceptionalism; three of its Ministers (the highest ranks below the Grandmaster) are non-dragons (A bullman, a hob, with Brina's species a mystery).