Daniel Jonathan "Dan" Stevens (born 10 October 1982) is an English actor, perhaps best known for playing Matthew Crawley on Downton Abbey.
- Agatha Christie's Marple (2007) as Michael Faber
- Sense and Sensibility (2008) as Edward Ferrars
- The Turn of the Screw (2009) as Dr. Fisher
- Downton Abbey (2010 — 2012) as Matthew Crawley
- The Tomorrow People (2013) as TIM (voice only)
- The Fifth Estate (2013) as Ian Katz
- The Guest (2014) as David Collins
- A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014) as Kenny Kristo
- The Cobbler (2014) as Emiliano
- Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014) as Sir Lancelot
- Legion (2017 — present) as David Haller
- Beauty and The Beast (2017) as Prince Adam / The Beast
- Colossal (2017) as Tim
- The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) as Charles Dickens
- Apostle (2018) as Thomas Richardson
He provides examples of:
- Dyeing for Your Art: Dyed his hair black and lost ten pounds for A Walk Among the Tombstones.
- Fake American: In The Guest, A Walk Among The Tombstones and Legion.
- I Am Not Spock: Since leaving Downton he has taken several steps to avoid this. This includes playing darker characters in The Guest and A Walk Among the Tombstones, starring in the Adam Sandler film The Cobbler and headlining Legion2017 which is based off an X-Men comic.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: He wanted to leave Downton Abbey at the end of Season 3, so Matthew died in a car crash in the Christmas Special.
- Star-Making Role: Downton Abbey of course made him a household name.
- Typecasting: Even before playing Matthew Crawley, he found himself doing a lot of period dramas. Amusingly enough, in America he's found himself playing a lot of villains.