Daniel Jonathan "Dan" Stevens (born 10 October 1982 in Croydon, England) is an English actor.
A fixture of period dramas and adaptations of classic literature in the early part of his acting career, Stevens first made a name for himself as Matthew Crawley in the ITV series Downton Abbey from 2010 to 2012. His character was infamously killed off at the height of its popularity (in a Christmas episode, no less) after Stevens decided to exit the series for other career opportunities.
After Downton, Stevens had another breakout in the titular role of the 2014 thriller The Guest, which he then followed as The Beast in Disney's 2017 live-action remake of Beauty and The Beast, Sir Lancelot in Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, and Charles Dickens in The Man Who Invented Christmas.
- Frankenstein (2004) as Henry Clerval
- Dracula (2006) as Lord Arthur Holmwood
- Agatha Christie's Marple (2007) as Michael Faber
- Sense and Sensibility (2008) as Edward Ferrars
- The Turn of the Screw (2009) as Dr. Fisher
- Downton Abbey (2010 — 2012) as Matthew Crawley
- The Tomorrow People (2013) as TIM (voice)
- The Fifth Estate (2013) as Ian Katz
- The Guest (2014) as David Collins
- A Walk Among the Tombstones (2014) as Kenny Kristo
- The Cobbler (2014) as Emiliano
- Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb (2014) as Sir Lancelot
- Super Mansion (2015 — 2016) as Bunsen (voice)
- Legion (2017 — 2019) as David Haller
- Beauty and The Beast (2017) as Prince Adam / The Beast
- Colossal (2017) as Tim
- Marshall (2017) as Loren Willis
- The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) as Charles Dickens
- Apostle (2018) as Thomas Richardson
- Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020) as Alexander Lemtov
- The Call of the Wild (2020) as Hal
He provides examples of:
- Dyeing for Your Art: Dyed his hair black and lost ten pounds for A Walk Among the Tombstones.
- Fake American: In The Guest, A Walk Among The Tombstones Marshall, and Legion.
- I Am Not Spock: Since leaving Downton he has taken several steps to avoid this. This includes playing darker characters in The Guest and A Walk Among the Tombstones, starring in the Adam Sandler film The Cobbler and headlining Legion which is based off an X-Men comic.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: He wanted to leave Downton Abbey at the end of Season 3, so Matthew died in a car crash in the Christmas Special.
- Star-Making Role: Downton Abbey of course made him a household name.
- Typecasting: Even before playing Matthew Crawley, he found himself doing a lot of period dramas. Amusingly enough, in America he's found himself playing a lot of villains.