Polearms that can damage the entire party in battle with one strike.
To see the other types of swords, click here.
- Bishōnen: Iwatooshi may be rough, but he's still got some feminine looks and body language, while the other two border on Dude Looks Like a Lady. Justified, as naginata have been considered women's weapons for generations now.
- Knockback: A hit from a naginata always pushes the entire team back, whether it's a Critical Hit or not.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Players that employ naginata should watch out whether their PvP opponent's team contains kiwame wakizashi, as their blocking can and will render naginata's team-wide hits useless.
- Rarity: High (Basic/Toku)
School: Sanjou (三条)
Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (Japanese), Ian Ferguson (English)
Illustrated by: Kinako
Live actor: Daichi Saeki (Musical)"Ooh. I didn't notice you since you're too small. I'm Iwatooshi, Musashibou Benkei's naginata! Gahahahaha!"
The naginata of the famous warrior monk Musashibou Benkei, who collected 999 swords before he was defeated by Minamoto no Yoshitsune and taken in as his retainer. Taking after his owner, Iwatooshi is big, loud and boisterous, but ultimately loyal.
- Blood Knight: Iwatooshi cheerfully refers to battles as "hunts" and, like Mikazuki, he also laughs when seriously injured, claiming that he's having fun.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Is very loud and boastful in battlefield (many of his front line lines even include open laughter while he's fighting), and he manages to hit the whole enemy unit all of once, in normal circumstances."Hahahaha! Am I terrifying?!"
- Curtains Match the Window: Both his hair and eyes are orange.
- Hidden Buxom: A hilarious and rare male example. His regular clothes are modest as monk robes should be, but his Internal Affairs outfit as well as his Awakening sprite show that he has quite the ample chest. The musicals also reference this by having Iwatooshi's idol costume be a sleeveless hoodie that emphasizes his chest (the hoodie will always be partially unzipped around his pectorals).
- Hidden Depths: In a Recollection with Imanotsurugi, he gradually speaks more normally to show his sympathy for Imanotsurugi's grief. He also tells Hizamaru after sparring that's it's okay to be immature, as it means he has a heart.
- In the Hood: Of all the Touken Danshi, Iwatooshi is consistently drawn with a hood up, and it's constantly on in his default outfit. In the musicals, he even gets a performance outfit with a sleeveless hoodie to keep up the motif.
- Laser-Guided Karma: He references this line of thought in his destroyed line, seemingly resigned to his fate, as he is famous for having hunted down 999 swords with his former owner."As the weapon that has hunted down so many blades, this is inevitably my fate, huh..."
- Magikarp Power: He starts off as rather weak when first obtained, but if one is patient, he can eventually become a One-Man Army.
- Naginatas Are Feminine: Averted. Iwatooshi is a very boisterous, very masculine character.
- No Indoor Voice: Particularly in the battlefield, but even in the citadel, he speaks quite loudly. His resounding laugh is also present in a good number of his quotes. However, he notably lowers his voice in his Recollection with Imanotsurugi, as mentioned in Hidden Depths above, and also in his reflexive destroyed line.
- Scary Teeth: Of the shark-like variety.
- Signature Scent: One of his lines suggests that, according to the Saniwa, he reeks of blood.
- Warrior Monk: In appearance only, as a homage to his owner, Musashibou Benkei. Personality-wise, he's more of a Blood Knight. In 2016's Shinken Ranbu Sai, he does briefly show skill as a Warrior Poet.
- What Is This Feeling?: As a new recruit in the musicals at the time of Atsukashiyama Ibun, Iwatooshi isn't quite used to having emotions yet, finding himself reacting to everything most haphazardly and putting his feelings in conflict with his duty to the Saniwa. He admits he found it easier to be an inanimate object, because he didn't have to deal with such complications.
- Rarity: High (Basic/Toku)
Voiced by: Hirofumi Nojima
Illustrated by: Kinako
Live actor: Haruki Kiyama (Musical)"I'm naginata Tomoegata. A collection of tomoe shapes without a story, wielding neither signature nor legend. That is who I am."
He has a wide width and large warp of the cutting edge, a naginata that is said to be used for ceremonies. His divinity levels are high, as such he in lacking in the sense of humanity. He can be overprotective of his master at times. He is constantly by his master's side and likes to take care of them.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Of particular note in his case, because, rather than being a tsukumougami of a specific historical naginata, he is instead a personification of "tomoe" type naginata in general, which was a subtype designed for use by women. This is the reason for his especially feminine appearance. It also means he doesn't have a history to look back on or a famous master to look up to, which is why he becomes wistful if you send a sword out for Kiwame training with him as the secretary. It also might explain his fixation on the Saniwa.
- Combat Stilettos: He wears white high-heeled boots into battle.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Tomoegata has one long sleeve, while his other sleeve is short.
- High-Class Glass: He wears a gold-rimmed monocle, likely to symbolize how he was mainly used for ceremonial purposes.
- I Regret Nothing: When he's destroyed."For a naginata without even a name, perhaps I have done well..."
- Purple Eyes: Downplayed. His eyes are magenta, which symbolize being special and unique.
- Man in White: With vibrant light blue, magenta and gold. His outfit resembles that to be worn for ceremonial or ritual purposes.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He and Shizukagata share the same face and they look nearly identical to each other, but the only main differences is their hair color.
- Undying Loyalty: To the Saniwa. He appears to care for them deeply.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: He has light blue hair with white tints that matches his white and blue gradient hakama.
- Rarity: High (Basic/Toku)
Voiced by: Youhei Azakami
Illustrated by: Kinako"I am Shizukagata, a naginata. Although I have neither inscriptions nor anecdotes, it's fine as long as I can just make them now."
A naginata that is suitable for combat with a slender build and slight curve. His strong rivalry against spears may be due to the transition of weapons on the battlefield. His demands for his master to stay away from him is due to his concerns that his powers may destroy his master.
- Anthropomorphic Personification: Like Tomoegata, he's a personification of all Shizuka-type Naginata in general, which was a subtype designed for use by men. This is the reason for his especially muscular appearance.
- Badass Boast: In one of his awakened quotes."Now, it's time to unleash my power!"
- Bare Your Midriff: He's one of few characters to wear a outfit to expose his stomach.
- Berserk Button: Yaris. Normally cordial and focused on making memories with everyone, he is rather hostile with Otegine in their recollection due to this distaste.
- Combat Stilettos: He wears black high-heeled boots into battle.
- Cute Little Fangs: He has one and it can only be seen in his awakened sprite.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Shizukagata has one long sleeve, while his other sleeve is short.
- Friend to All Children: Contrast to his appearance, he's surprisingly very good with the tantous and wakizashis and worries over them. He even reminds the Saniwa about how they're doing if you haven't played in a while.
- Purple Eyes: Downplayed. Like Tomoegata, his eyes are magenta, which symbolize being special and unique.
- Sibling Yin-Yang: Contrast him with Tomoegata, and it's literally yin and yang.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He and Tomoegata share the same face and they look nearly identical to each other, but the only main differences is their hair color.