Kira Kira Happy ★ Hirake! Cocotama ("Glittering Happy ★ Open! Cocotama") is an anime series produced by OLM Incorporated, based on Bandai Namco Entertainment's line of dollhouse toys marketed to girls. It premiered on September 6, 2018, replacing Kamisama Minarai: Himitsu no Cocotama during the Fall 2018 Anime season.
A sequel series Mono No Kamisama Cocotama, was set for release in September 2019.
Kira Kira Happy ★ Hirake! Cocotama provides examples of:
- A Dog Named "Dog": More like A dog named after the thing he is born from. Can you guess what object Ribbon and Pillow are born from?
- And then theres Nikki. It doesnt seem like an example for this trope until you know that Nikki is Japanese for diary, the object that she is born from.
- All Your Powers Combined: It exists in the previous series. However, how they do it is different. Three Cocotamas do their magic on a device called The Magical Egg, it then closes, combining their magic. Then Haruka opens it with the Key of Wonders, releasing the combined magic. Later, Nikki upgrades it so it can handle not only three types of Cocotama magic, but about a hundred.
- And the Adventure Continues: Apparently, Another town has a problem with the Minus Power.
- Bad Future: If the cherry blossom tree dies, everybody in town (including Cocotamas!) will lose interest, and eventually turn it into a Crapsack World 600 years later.
- Big Eater: Chaco. She even gets mad when Pillow took the candy that she was about to eat at episode 3!
- The Chosen One: Haruka is chosen to be the Legendary Cocotama Contractor. The one who opens the door of happiness to save the world with the Key of Wonders.
- Turns out, Ribbon is chosen to be Harukas sidekick!
- Chromatic Arrangement: The new main Cocotamas for this series, Ribbon, Pillow, and Chaco, are red, blue, and yellow respectively.
- City of Adventure: Sakura town.
- Continuity Cameo: Kokoros Cocotamas (and all of them too!) appear in the final episode in a Big Damn Heroes moment in order to save the cherry blossom tree. Dont worry, Kokoro also appears in the same episode interacting with Haruka.
- Fell Asleep Standing Up: Pillow is sometimes seen doing this as a Funny Background Event.
- Funny Animal: The Cocotamas themselves, considering they all have animal-like features including tails based on the items they were born from.
- Fun Size: The Cocotamas, as with the previous series.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: The Minus Power. Its just a... tree thing that just makes people miserable with its petals. It isnt even sentient!
- Gratuitous English: Most of the toys use English for some names of the characters and the packaging. The same goes for the official website.
- Half-Dressed Cartoon Animal: Like the previous series, the Cocotamas are only wearing underpants as their clothing and nothing to cover their top.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: There are a lot of Cocotamas and humans. Some background Cocotamas are actually Official Fan-Submitted Content! Justified since they need about 100 to prevent the town from going towards a Bad Future.
- MacGuffin: the objects that make the buildings of Cocotama town.
- The Magic Goes Away: Like the previous series, the failing condition if a contractor breaks the promise in the Cocotama Contract, which results in a serious Laser-Guided Amnesia.
- Magically Binding Contract: Averted. Instead, Haruka gets the ability of seeing Cocotamas without them going back to where they come from as the Legendary Cocotama Contractor.
- Meaningful Name: Cocotama has a rather interesting naming. Coco is short for "Kokoro", meaning "heart", and "Tama", which either means "soul", "god", or "egg". It depends on how you portray the translation.
- No Antagonist: Just like the previous series until it isnt. The minus energy is the reason why the cherry blossom tree isnt blooming.
- Only the Chosen May Wield: the Key of Wonders only appears when the Legendary Cocotama Contractor appears. That key is made out of an egg of a Cocotama after all.
- Our Time Machine Is Different: The Magical Egg. Not only can it travel through time, it can combine Cocotama magic and even is a communication device!
- Red Is Heroic: Runnin believes in this trope. Believed so hard that he thinks that he is the main character!
- Walking Spoiler: Nikki. That character does debut halfway after all. The Minus Power also counts.