Cute high-school girls, boobs, panty shots,
evil taking over the world... What's not to love?
Drawn by famed hentai artist
Takeda Hiromitsu, the story takes place at a special school called Tenbi Gakuen, where the only students admitted are those who are able to control a source of energy found in all living things called "Element". Manipulating those "elements", they are capable to perform common psychic ability like psychokinesis..., to enhance their physical abilities and to be able to use magical artifacts called Maken
. These Maken
give the users specific and varied abilities, like superstrength, turning one's body into steel, manipulating water... There are two types of Maken, external and internal. External Makens look like normal weapons and add-ons, while internal maken are embedded inside the user's body. Since they are powerful artifacts used by ancient gods, students normally do not have true (i.e. original) Makens, but only use imitated Makens that are forged by resident Maken-smith Gen Tagayashi. Also, different countries apparently have different types of Maken, for example, the Jingu
used by members of Venus group.
The story specifically revolves around a group of students called the Maken-ki, which is a special force unit under the school student council, whose responsibility is to mediate Duels
between students in the school (exactly like what it sounds, i.e. fighting) and to resolve any disputes that are not Duels
(i.e. not following the common rules of a Duel). Since the school is quite lenient regarding fighting between students, the Maken-ki group is often quite busy, and attracts powerful students to be its member, but it's an implied rather than official requirement. The Maken-ki unofficial responsibility is also to protect the school from external harm.
Tenbi Gakuen was originally a co-ed school, but turned to an all-girls school after an unsavory incident done by the boys. However, at the time the story takes place, Tenbi Gakuen has once again turned into a co-ed school, admitting a group of first year male students. Our protagonist, Takeru Ohyama, is one of them. At the school, he meets again his childhood friend Haruko Amaya, a strange girl claimed to be his fiancee Inaho Kusiya, and a blonde ojou
Kodama Himegami, who initially has some strong enmity against him, but soon becomes one of his friend. He also meets a like-minded male student Kengo Usui. After a whim by the school principal Minori Rokujou, he and the three girls end up living in the same room. Furthermore, after being persuaded by Haruko, Takeru decides to join the Maken-ki, where he meets another bunch of cute girls. Cue the harem, my friends. Takeru initially has no compatible Maken, and has to wait for a bit of time for Gen to make him one, and understandably, he turns into a typical weak but want-to-protect-everyone type of hero, even though all the girls surrounding him are much more competent that he is. Even after having a Maken, he's still quite incompetent. Fortunately for him though, he has a berserk mode, i.e. Blood Pointer, which allows him to absorb "elements" around him (from his enemies and friends alike) and release it in a crippling shot.
It is quite a typical harem-ecchi-magical girlfriends (sort of) manga and it could be quite a read if you're in these sorts of thing. The art lives up to the artist's hentai fame, and so does the ecchi. Even though you're not in it for the ecchi, there's still some good fight in there.
- Above the Influence: Takeru, strangely enough, in episode 5 of season 2 while trapped on an island with Aki-sensei. He does have an Imagine Spot where he does act perverted towards her, but manages to hold back from doing anything shameless. He also manages to resist the girl's when a magically induced Cat Girl heat causes them to make offers they wouldn't under ordinary circumstances.
- Absolute Cleavage: The outfits some of the girls wear is sometimes rather revealing. Particularly their principal.
- A-Cup Angst: Kodama, justified when she sees that Haruko wore pads in her bikini.
- Hilariously invoked again in episode 9 during the pool battle. Her two spirits inadvertently insult her bust size as well, causing her to chuck them away along with Kengo later.
- And in episode 1 of season 2, she and Kimi go into a corner of woe after hearing the bust sizes of some of the other females such as Haruko and their principal.
- Accidental Kiss: When Himegami falls on top of Takeru, their lips connect.
- Another variation of this occurs in the 2nd OVA, although this time it was on the cheek, and it was caused by Haruko throwing him off from Inaho.
- Accidental Pervert: Takeru
- Action Girl
- World of Action Girls: All of whom could probably beat you up. Not that the guys in the series seem to mind it however...
- A Day in the Limelight: Aki-sensei gets put on an island with Takeru in episode 5 of season 2, after her mom deliberately captured them and locked them together with handcuffs when the former claimed the latter as her boyfriend.
- Adaptation Distillation: The first season anime only adapted a part of manga's material, and skipped a lot of important details. The second season, Maken-ki Two, is totally a filler-series just for the fanservice.
- All Anime Is Naughty Tentacles: In the OVA. Celia shows up just in time attack it, only to purposely get captured by the same octopus when she sees the other girls calling for him to help them just so she could do it as well. The girls immediately point it out.
- All Men Are Perverts: Even when they aren't, they are SEVERELY punished for it.
- Almost Kiss: Inaho and Takeru nearly have one in the 2nd OVA. A jealous Haruko breaks it up before they manage to do it however. And by doing so, she inadvertently stopped Takeru from changing back to a guy, as Celia turned him into a girl earlier, and a kiss from a girl was required to change him back. He then accidentally gets kissed by several other girls after Haruko's forceful breaking up the two threw him into Himegami.
- Animal Motifs: Inaho ties two small parts of her hair in side topknots, which make her resemble a Cat Girl at first sight. She also acquires a pet cat which she often carries around on her head.
- Her perpetual Cat Smile doesn't help matters, either.
- Amusing Injuries: In episode 2, after being caught spying on the girls during a physical examination, Kodama knocks Kengo and Takeru from the tree they were on by landing her feet on their faces. A few moments later, when the boys are going through their examination, both guys have a footprint on their faces.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Tenbi Gakuen, Kamigari
- Beach Episode: The OVA.
- The Beautiful Elite
- Badass Grandpa: Ouken Yamato
- Battle Aura: The girls often form one when fighting, or when they're mad at the guys.
- Battle Harem
- Berserk Button: Everyone has one but most notable is Takeru and to a less extent, Usui in that harming a woman in their presence, especially Haruko and Himegami, will incite a viscous beatdown. For the girls, Haruko, Inaho, and much later, Himegami, have one regarding Takeru.
- Big Bad: Ouken Yamato
- Big Damn Heroes:
- The Venus merc unit does this for Haruko at the end of episode 12, allowing her to perform one to save Takeru.
- Takeru himself gets one in the first part of the OVA, and later the entire Maken-Ki does one for him, Haruko, and Inaho.
- Rudolf the teddy bear does this for Himegami in episode 7 of season 2.
- Bleached Underpants: The artist has done Hentai mangas, some of the Netorare; ever since Takeda has appeared less frequently in the erotic manga scene, and for Doujinshi works he will always use a pen name now.
- Boring but Practical: Takeru's Maken, Overblow, which causes the Maken he touches to increase its power exponentially, to the point that the user will not able to control and use it anymore. Nothing flashy, but quite effective. Also a double edged sword however, if the user has enough ability to control the Maken.
- Brainwashed: Ouken can do this to anyone he pleases, including rewriting memories and entire personalities. Therefore, everyone is terrified of him.
- Bromantic Foil: Usui Kengo
- Buxom Is Better: Aki-sensei's breasts, the largest of the cast, make her popular with all the boys and a source of envy for all the females. It gets to the point where Haruko, who is an H-Cup, uses pads in her bikini!
- Cannot Spit It Out: Two examples:
- Averted with Inaho, who's not shy about claiming to be Takeru's fiance. This generally doesn't sit well with Haruko.
- Largely played straight with Haruko, who goes into Tsundere mode anytime her feelings seem to crop up towards Takeru. Interestingly, she averts it in episode 2 of season 2 while suffering Easy Amnesia, and during one moment, mentions to him that she's a bit ashamed of her old self for not being up front with her feelings towards him. However, she recovers her memories by the end of the episode, and claims she doesn't remember anything she said or did during that time. But her rant at the very end indicates she's fully aware of what happened.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Takeru towards Haruko in episode 2 of season 2, while the latter has Easy Amnesia. She even goes so far as to start stripping their clothes off, but he's very uneasy about it, and when her memories finally return, he mentions that he was waiting for this reaction to happen as she punishes him yet again.
- Cassandra Truth: Himegami and Haruko come to the island where Takeru and Aki-sensei are at during the end of episode 5 in season 2. Despite Takeru's attempts to explain it, such as being strapped to Aki-sensei with magical handcuffs, they don't believe him. Largely because said handcuffs disappeared by that point, and for whatever reason, Aki-sensei doesn't say anything, leading the girls to believe he deliberately ran off with her.
- Cat Girl: Several of the main girls become one in episode 3 of season 2, thanks to Monji, Inaho's cat.
- Cat Smile: Inaho's default expression. Takeru has one for a moment in episode 1.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Takeru, sort of.
- Childhood Marriage Promise: Between Inaho and Takeru, although he seems to have forgotten it. Hence why he's just as confused as everyone else when she declares to be his fiance in the first episode.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Haruko. She often beats up Takeru even if he's innocent, and even goes so far as to move into the 3-bed dorm room that Takeru is staying in with 2 other girls, of course to ensure that nothing indecent is being done.
- Surprisingly subverted with Inaho. She gets jealous, but not clingy the way Haruko does, nor does she beat him up over other girls trying to take him. However, she does get a little upset at him when Himegami and Haruko tell her about him being all alone on an island with Aki-sensei.
- Clothing Damage: happens all the time for the female characters. Why? Why not?
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Inaho has shades of this, first of all by immediately declaring Takeru to be her fiancee on site.
- Color Failure: Happens to Azuki in episode 4 after Takeru and Himegami see her working in a maid cafe.
- Crash-Into Hello: Kodama does this to Takeru in the first episode when the branch she was hanging from gets cut.
- Cross-Popping Veins: A few characters display these. Haruko seems to develop them anytime a girl is too close to Takeru.
- Cute Bruiser: Azuki probably plays it the straightest, but technically all of the main girls.
- Cute Little Fangs: Celia.
- Cuteness Proximity: Happens to Himegami in episode 7 of season 2 when she sees a teddy bear for sale.
- Damsel in Distress: Happens to several of the girls in the first OVA when a giant octopus grabs them. Celia then arrives in an apparent Big Damn Heroes moment, only to then subvert it and invoke this trope and purposely get herself captured as well when she sees several of the girls calling for Takeru to help rescue them.
- Dangerously Short Skirt: Especially if a gentle breeze just happens to be blowing at the time...
- Dark-Skinned Blond: Akaza Cha Cha
- Date Peepers: Chapter 5/Episode 4.
- Declaration of Protection: Takeru is chock full of this trope anytime he sees a girl in danger. Also inverted with him and most of the other main girls who will often go out of their way to save him.
- Defeat by Modesty: The thief in episode 2 of season 2 uses this against several of the girls. Although Takeru is hit by this attack as well, he says that this trope doesn't bother him, and charges her. However, the thief then mentions "an elephant", causing him to freeze in his tracks. She uses this opportunity to steal Haruko's power, and her memories.
- It fails to work on Azuki a second time, which allows her to catch said thief.
- Denser and Wackier: The Yonkoma Spin-Off: Maken-Ki - Inaho and Friends, aside from original jokes it contains some events from the main series retold, with humor undertones.
- Deserted Island: In episode 5 of season 2, Takeru and Aki-sensei are put on the island where they were at during the OVA in the first season. However, they're entirely alone this time, and Aki-sensei's mother says they'll be picked up after two days, so they are to "make memories together", and pop some kids out while they're on the island.
- Deus Sex Machina: Ouken Yamato regains strength by having sex with several dozen women. It is not clear if the women survive this process.
- Distant Finale: At the end of episode 8 in season 2, Kengo's final moment is shown after he loses to Himegami in a strip game of rock-paper-scissors during the present day. He is an old man in a hospital, when an angel resembling Himegami descends on him, then proceeds to put her foot on his face, with him smiling as she does so. The narrator states that it was impossible to know what he was feeling in his final moment, but appears to have passed away happy.
- The Ditz: Inaho sometimes. Stretched to silliness in Episode 8 of Season 1, where the Venus girls lure her away from Takeru with a path of candy leading to a poorly-made Takeru straw dummy.... and she falls for it! She has to be told it's a dummy in order to realize it,
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Haruko, in a maid outfit, covered in cream from head to toe, a puddle of the stuff on the ground.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: In episode 1 of the anime, at two different instances, one in the middle and after the ending credits. Both count as Unprovoked Pervert Payback as well. The latter is especially ridiculous as Takeru is asleep at the time it happens.
- Drop the Hammer: The random thug that attacks Himegami in episode 7 of season 2 uses a giant mallet to attack her.
- Drunk with Power: In episode 8 of season 2, Kengo is made the principal after the real principal quits due to overhearing some girls claim how easy she must have it. He immediately takes advantage of it, by forcing the girls to do various humiliating things such as limbo under a bar at the entrance, and anyone who knocked the bar over would be considered late.
- Easy Amnesia: Haruko's powers and memories are stolen during episode 2 of season 2, although both are recovered by the end of the episode.
- Ecchi: Bar none.
- Elemental Powers: Himegami has Shock and Awe and Playing with Fire, among others.
- Empathic Weapon: Murakumo, Haruko's Maken
- Empathy Doll Shot: One occurs in episode 7 of season 2 as Rudolf the teddy bear relates a story to Himegami about his previous owner being caught in an Allied bombing raid during World War II. The child's hand is seen raising briefly before Rudolf explains she died and he was helpless to save her.
- Erotic Eating: Several of the girls do this in episode 8 of season 2, after the cafeteria menu changes.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy
- Eyes Always Shut: Marsa Minerva lampshaded unlike most examples.
- Fanservice: All over the place. It might be easier to keep track of the moments when this trope isn't being used. The OVA's takes this Up to Eleven.
- The Fashionista: Himegami
- Fiery Redhead: Azuki
- Fighting Series
- Forgotten First Meeting: Inaho and Takeru made a promise a long time ago and the latter forgets about her.
- Gender Bender: Celia Ootsuka. Through using his/her maken's ability to reverse the nature of anything.
- In the 2nd beach OVA, Takeru is turned into a girl after pissing Celia off. Takeko fits in with the girls perfectly.
- Genki Girl: Inaho and Celia. Especially when the topic of Takeru is involved.
- Genre Savvy: Minerva mentions how Takeru is living in a Harem series when she visits his room with 3 of the main girls.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In episode 8 of season 2, the girls are studying what looks like tadpoles under a microscope in biology. They wonder what it is. The camera then pans to the right to Takeru, who squirms briefly, has a box of tissues and is seen bringing up another sample of the stuff the girls were looking at. They later go visit a sex toy factory, and are given what the company makes as a gift. While the girls wonder what it is, Takeru meanwhile has a whole box of them.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Green-Eyed Monster: Largely Haruko anytime a girl shows interest in Takeru, although the male students also display this trope as well for similar reasons. Takeru usually points out that he doesn't have long to live when girls show their affection towards him in front of the other male classmates.
- Hair Decorations
- Head Pet: Monji, the cat Inaho finds in episode 6, does this to her a lot. She doesn't seem to mind it.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Takeru
- Heroic Sacrifice: Rudolf the teddy bear in episode 7 of season 2, uses up too much of his power to save Himegami from a random thug. Then he subverts it by still being "alive" but decides he'll just be content watching Himegami, Inaho, and Haruko undress and dress themselves each day.
- Hospital Hottie/School Nurse: Aki-sensei. Bonus points for having a penchant to use her special powers for magical Intimate Healing.
- Hot Teacher: Aki-sensei for the guys, Akaya for the girls, who often Squee when he's around.
- Imagine Spot: Haruko has a couple of these.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Rudolf the teddy bear subjects many girls to this in episode 7 of season 2 by fondling their breasts. He also saves Himegami this way, but utilizing this against the thug as he knocks him out.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Takeru is put in the same dorm room as Inaho and Himegami purely on a whim. Haruko joins in with the excuse of keeping things in check (of course she most likely has a deeper reason).
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: Inaho at times, and Haruko uses this during episode 2 of season 2 while suffering from Easy Amnesia.
- Aki-sensei too. She is shown to be a very naively immodest person when situations arise. A running gag of this personality quirk of hers is the fact that she is constantly shown revealing some part of her body - most commonly her panties - unintentionally.
- I Thought It Meant: In episode 8, after Haruko and Inaho discover that Celia took Takeru on a date, they find a letter on one of Celia's friends that mentions S&M. Both girls immediately have perverted thoughts, until they find out what those letters really meant. It was Song & Music, since Celia was a pop idol, and was going to sing all of her songs to Takeru, who seems bored of it.
- I Want Grandkids: Aki-sensei's mother. She even goes so far as to kidnap her and Takeru and put them on an island together, with handcuffs, and expects them to make memories together.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Inaho seems okay if Takeru doesn't choose her, so long as the other girl he chooses is Haruko. She still gets jealous if any other girl shows interest in him however.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Rudolf the teddy bear. In episode 7 of season 2, he assaults many women by groping their breasts, causing Himegami a lot of headaches. But after she's attacked by a random thug and has no power left to fight him due to exhausting it trying to punish Rudolf, the bear ends up saving her.
- Lens Flare Censor
- Lingerie Scene: Especially in the anime.
- Love Confession: Haruko delivers one to Takeru during episode 2 of season 2. However, she was suffering from Easy Amnesia at the time, and claims to not have remembered anything she did during that episode after her memories return. Takeru takes it a sign that things are back to normal. Shortly after, however, Haruko seems mad at her amnesia self for having declared her feelings for him, indicating she fully remembers everything she did during that time, such as telling Takeru that losing her memories allowed her to fall in love with him twice.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : Happens to Takeru in the 2nd OVA. Celia, who changed him after catching him playing with Aki-sensei's boobs, tells them he can change back if he gets a kiss from a girl. After Haruko breaks up an Almost Kiss between Takeru and Inaho, he ends up getting accidentally kissed by several others, changing back and forth between a guy and a girl. They finally leave the room, causing him to lament stuck being a girl, when Haruko kisses him to change him back.
- After the credits, it turns out that Kengo was also afflicted by the gender-bending spell Celia cast. Unlike Takeru however, he has no idea how it happened, and doesn't get to enjoy spending time with the girls either.
- Megaton Punch: The male characters are often on the receiving end of these, for both justified, as well as unjustified reasons.
- Meido: Azuki. Practically all the main girls in episode 11 when they work there for a special event to raise money for a school trip.
- Ms. Fanservice: Many of the female characters are this, but none is comparable to Aki-sensei, the school nurse. Huge chest, skimpy clothing, and she performs her magical Intimate Healing by straddling her patient in Reverse Cowgirl position. Turns out she's a virgin.
- Celia invokes this trope as well when she shows up later in the season. During her introduction in episode 8, several scenes are of her wearing various outfits. She even Lampshades this trope in episode 9, when Kengo pulls off the top of her swimsuit, only to find out she has a bikini underneath. She then mentions saving the Fanservice for later, and the very next scene shows some bouncy stuff. Several male characters also point this trope out right after.
- Mundane Utility: Celia's maken allows her to invert anything. She first uses it to reverse velocities (throwing someone running towards her backwards), but she soon proves capable of using it on more abstract things. At one point she reverses Takeru's determination, causing him to just stop fighting. She mostly uses this awesome power to be a girl.
- Naked People Are Funny: Invoked by Himegami in chapter 7, where she and Haruko greet Takeru in their underwear to make him laugh.
- No Animals Were Harmed: In episode 3, a bear wanders into the pool area where the Kenkeibu are meeting up. They're forced to deal with it, and they use their various abilities to launch the bear away via a giant wooden plank, but then make a magical cushion appear to avoid making the bear go splat against the mountain. A few scenes later the bear, a bit dizzy but no worse for the wear, wanders off after recovering.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: Ouken Yamato is on the receiving end of one courtesy of a raging Takeru.
- Nosebleed: Takeru and Kengo suffer these from time to time. Uruchi has one when Haruko's breasts get groped in the OVA.
- Oblivious to Love: Largely played straight with Takeru. Lots of girls throw themselves at him, but he doesn't seem to take it any further. Then again, Haruko has a habit of beating him up if they do try anything with him too...
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Pretty much all the guys in the series. Goes so far as to put them in the background in their own Corner of Woe at the opening title, while the girls are prominently displayed up front.
- The entire Maken-Ki feels this way after witnessing Minori's power punch in the OVA.
- Positive Discrimination: The female cast are shown to be vastly superior in using their Maken and in overall strength, while the male cast are relegated to a few instances where they do win against the girls at some particular event, but even so it's mostly exclusive to Takeru due his protagonist privileges and male antagonists, with the latter being a blatant obstacle for the girls to overcome.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Haruko
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Inaho a benevolent example.
- Reincarnation: Takeru for Himegami's older brother.
- Red-Headed Hero: Takeru
- School Idol: Celia is an idol from America. Turns out she's a wrestling idol. Should have done a little more research before you tried to tackle her, Inaho.
- Sensei-chan: The school principal Minori is a borderline case. She is relatively young, sexy, ditzy and often on friendly terms with students (e.g. she allows the students to call her by her first name). However, she can be very authoritative when she wants to be. Being one of the strongest fighters in school certainly helps her in it.
- Shout-Out: When a bear shows up at the Maken-Ki's meet and great, one of the girls comments that if they get it wet, it will turn human. It is then speculated that there is likely a little black pig and wet pretty girl nearby.
- When Haruko and Kimi go to visit the Anime Club at the school, you can see figures and boxes that look suspiciously like Kamina, Madoka, and FLCL.
- the title of episode 5 of season 2 is a shout out to Onegai Teacher.
- Episode 8 of Season 2 has a shout out to Downfall where Kengo flips out much like Adolph did.
- The Manga convention in Season 2 has Cosplayers dressed as, among others, Mio Sakamoto and Perrine Cloistermann from Strike Witches
- Skinship Grope: Happens a few times, especially in the OVA.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Syria or Celia
- Status Quo Is God: Takeru mentions this in episode 2 of season 2 after Haruko claims she doesn't remember anything she did while suffering from Easy Amnesia that episode. However, Haruko's rant to herself at the end suggests she does in fact remember it, such as telling him she fell in love with him again after losing her memories, and being unable to tell him how she really felt about him.
- Super-Deformed: Inaho in the 4Koma, she's perpetually chibified.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: With regards to unexplained expense claims for bear-related books and stuffed animals:
"I-I've never even heard of Ma-chan the Koala!"
"Me, neither.. I don't know her little brother, Pu-chan, either!"
- Haruko usually denies having any interest in what Takeru is doing, but the other characters, especially Himegami, see right through it.
- Thanks for the Mammary: Right at the start with Takeru and Haruko.
- Title Drop: Happens in episode 3.
- Took a Level in Badass: Takeru. He requested that Midori train his body so he could withstand his Blood Pointer ability. Some time and character development later, he goes head-to-head against Ouken Yamato in a brawl - and wins.
- Too Hot for TV: The series has some questionable use of Lens Flare censor, while in some cases they are rightfuly blocking bare breasts, other times they're blocking Panty Shots, for no reason other than blocking some detailed lines of their parts, it wouldn't so bad if it didn't happen frequently.
- Too Kinky to Torture: The thief in episode 2 of season 2. She seems to be enjoying the punishment being dealt towards her by Yuuka to force her to release Haruko's memories back.
- Tsundere: Haruko is a Type B. Himegami is a Type A.
- Uh-Oh Eyes: Kodama Himegami. They also glow when she's in an especially feisty mood.
- Unprovoked Pervert Payback: Takeru is often justifiably punished for his various actions against the girls, such as peeking at them in a changing room. Other times you have to wonder if he really deserved to be hit, such as at the end of the first episode in the first season, when Haruko catches Inaho sleeping next to him, and punches him in the face. Inaho probably snuck into his bed while he was sleeping, so Takeru probably had nothing to do with that, yet got hit rather hard for it.
- War Is Hell: In episode 7 of season 2, Rudolf the teddy bear relates a story to Himegami about how one of his previous owners was caught up in the midsts of World War II, and her hometown suffered a bombing raid by Allied planes. He was distraught over not being able to save her, and watched helplessly as she died, and vows to save his new owner. He then immediately claims he was lying, but in the end really does save Himegami after she's unable to save herself from a thug due to exhausting her magic from trying to punish him earlier.
- Wingding Eyes: Celia's always seem to have hearts in them.
- Won the War, Lost the Peace: Played for laughs in episode 9. The boys want coed swimming classes, while the girls want segregated ones. They decide on it by having a boys vs girls water calvary battle. In the end Takeru is the last person with his headband still on, and the boys win. But then the girls force the boy with the invisibility Maken to turn them all invisible, so while they're in the pool together, and the girls can be heard, none of the boys can see them.
- World of Buxom: Most of the females in the show are huge. Somehow Takeru always seems to find his hand or face in them as well.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Takeru. Justified by the fact that he developed this complex because of the tragic death of his mother. Other characters, however, repeatedly warn him that he has to get over this.
- Arguably full-out deconstructed when someone asks him what he would do if he saw a girl beating up another girl (a very real possibility in this school), and he can't come up with an answer. "Unless you're saying it's all right for girls to beat up girls?"
- Zettai Ryouiki: Himegami Type S
- Zombie Apocalypse: Played for Laughs. All of the male students in Takeru's class essentially have that "look" when Celia arrives in their class in episode 8 and proclaims him to be her boyfriend. They even parody bringing him down as if to eat him, only to beat him up. When Inaho gets upset at Celia's declaration, Kengo immediately points out that Takeru doesn't have long to live anyway, right before they take him down.