Tropes that describe the characters of Phantom Hourglass
. Be aware of unmarked spoilers, especially in regards of the true identity of some of the main characters.
The captain of the steamship Link uses in Phantom Hourglass.
He's a complete coward, and only agrees to help Link when he learns of the possible treasure involved. He provides most of the comic relief in the game.
A fairy with Laser-Guided Amnesia
, who found Link on the shore. She helps him throughout the game.
- Deadpan Snarker: Only regarding Linebeck. She does not just hate his Jerk-like, cowardly behaviour, she despises it.Which is ustified, since she's the spirit of courage. She still seems to like the "Heart of Gold part" in his "Jerk" though.
- Exposition Fairy: She's an Expy of Navi and Tatl, even having similar attitudes to both of them.
- Expy: Of Navi, even featuring the same voice, albeit her personality is a bit more short-tempered. Once Ciela's true power and "colour" are revealed, she becomes an Expy of Tatl from Majora's Mask.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She's lost her memories when Link meets her. She regains them twice: when she realises her role as the Spirit of Courage, and during the first fight with Bellum.
- Sword Beam: When Link equips her as his cursor, she lets him do these.
- Time Stop: Grants a brief version of this to Link at the end of Phantom Hourglass.
Oshus/The Ocean King
The main villain of Phantom Hourglass,
it rose from the depths and fed on life force, trapping the Ocean King in a feeble human form while it prowled the seas for victims in a Ghost Ship
. With little characterization, Bellum seems more like a parasitic force of nature than a truly malicious villain.
- Big Bad: It's the sole responsible for the calamities that occur in the waters of the Ocean King.
- Bilingual Bonus: "Bellum" is Latin for "War."
- Combat Tentacles: Both its means of attack, and its weak points during the first phase of the battle.
- Demonic Possession: It uses this when it takes over the Ghost Ship, and again when it takes over Linebeck's body.
- Duel Boss: During the final phase. It's fought akin to the Darknuts in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.
- Eldritch Abomination: Not only does it have a surreal form, but it's impossible to communicate with, lives far beyond the reach of man and uses avatars to interact with the outside world, doesn't think in anything even resembling human terms, and probably isn't even sentient. It more or less just is, which is one of the defining characteristics of a classic abomination.
- Expy: Of Majora's Mask: a tentacle user with big, staring eyes, who seems more like a mindless, destructive force rather than a plotting villain.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Its main eye is in its mouth.
- Faceless Eye: On its tentacles, no less.
- Ghost Ship: The haunted ship that sails the waters of the Ocean King belongs to Bellum, who even possesses it physically during a phase of the final battle to attack Link.
- Hive Mind: It controls the Phantom Guards this way.