Characters: The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
open/close all folders
After Zelda was turned to stone and the Picori Blade broken, Link is sent to find the Minish, tiny inhabitants of Hyrule, to have the blade reforged and turn Zelda back to normal. This is because only children can even see the Minish.
- Childhood Friends: With Zelda.
- Cool Sword: The Picori Blade and the Four Sword.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Phlegmatic. He is vaguely timid, affable, and quiet, especially in comparison to Ezlo.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: He is a questing hero, noble, honorable, and kind.
- Kid Hero: Actually used as a plot point, since, as mentioned above, him being a kid allows him to see the Minish/Picori.
- Legacy Character: The only Links coming before him are Skyward Sword Link and maybe the hatless hero. Also possibly Hylia's chosen champion, if his apperance from the manga included with Hyrule Historia is taken as canon.
- Nice Hat: And it talks!
- Super Strength: With the Power Bracelets, Link can push many objects like large bookcases and can push a pot several times larger than his body at Minish size.
- Took a Level in Badass: The sword Skills make Link use the Great Spin Attack, Roll Slash, and many other nifty moves. One of the few Links to get actual sword techniques.
Ezlo guides Link on his adventure by allowing him to shrink to the size of a Minish and explore the Mouse World.
- Baleful Polymorph: He's a Minish sorcerer trapped in the form of a birdlike hat.
- Clothes Make the Legend: He acts as Link's hat, and even gives Link his trademark hat after he is returned to his original form.
- Deadpan Snarker: When he's not being Captain Obvious, anyway.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Choleric. Full of advice and sage wisdom, but is also hot-tempered and impulsive.
A mysterious robed figure who won this the annual Picori Festival's swordfighting tournament. His goal was to obtain the Light Force and become a god.
- Awesome Momentof Crowning: Of sorts. He possesses King Daltus, after all.
- Badass: Oh yes. To elaborate, his first appearance involves him incapacitating four armed guards and breaking the Picori Blade.
- He is a very physical villain - when there is something to be done, he often does it himself.
- Badass Bookworm: He gained all of his knowledge about the legendary Picori Blade and Princess Zelda's Light Force from reading. In addition, he studied sorcery (though a lot of help came from that hat perched atop his head) and the psychology of evil inside of the hearts of men.
- Badass Cape: Look at his cover photo!
- Best Served Cold: Ultimately what he did to his former mentor, Ezlo.
- Deceptive Disciple: He studied the darker side of human nature behind Ezlo's back, became corrupted by all that he learned, and then betrayed Ezlo for his own goals.
- Demonic Possession: Vaati possesses King Daltus, giving him complete control over the kingdom's guards (Vassals) - as a result, he can now use the Vassals to aid in his search for the Light Force.
- Establishing Character Moment: A terrific introductory scene for Vaati; in less than two minutes he utterly owns four armed guards and shatters the Picori Blade. From thence, he sets the evil monsters inside the Bound Chest free, leading to a direct confrontation with Princess Zelda. To whom Vaati turns to stone, managing to incapacitate Link as well. He does all this while gloating about his success.
- Evil Is Cool: Vaati certainly seems to think so. His fascination with the duality of good and evil inside of Men is what led him to claim the Wishing Cap and become an Evil Sorcerer.
- Expy: His disposition as a calm, quick-witted wind sorcerer whose quest involves gaining power through charm, manipulation, and/or force is very reminiscent of several Disney villains.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Melancholic. Analytical, composed, power-hungry.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: An oddly realistic version. In-universe, he becomes a threat the minute he curses Ezlo and steals Ezlo's wish-granting cap.
- A God Am I: His goal, by obtaining the Light Force. He partially succeeds no matter what you do, and fully succeeds if you take too long in the final dungeon.
- Informed Ability: Vaati managed to win a sword fighting tournament in the beginning of the game, implying that he is a Child Prodigy at using swords. However, he is never seen using a sword. It's possible that he just cheated using his magic.
- One-Winged Angel: Has four, not including his initial minish form, although only his three demonic forms are fought.
- Rasputinian Death: One of the most awesome boss battles in Gameboy history. After gaining possession of Zelda and draining the light force from her body, Vaati grows several hands taller, gains a darker wardrobe, and you have to fight this Nightmare Fuel boss not once, but three times before he's finally over.
- Took a Level in Badass: After using the Wishing Cap to become a mage.
The princess of the domain of Hyrule, daughter to the king. At the outset of the story she and Link go way back as friends and he accompanies her to the annual festival. However, Vaati petrifies her during the award ceremony, forcing Link to try to repair the broken Picori Blade in order to undo the spell.
- All Women Love Shoes: According to the figurine's, she is Rem the shoemakers main source of income.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Multiple times during the festival she'll be in the middle of saying something to Link, only to run off saying "ooh, what's that?"
- And I Must Scream: If you fail to reach Vaati before the third bell, Zelda is left a stone statue forever.
- Childhood Friends: With Link, at least enough for the Princess of Hyrule to personally visit your house at the beginning for you to hang out with her at a Festival.
- Foil: To Vaati, interestingly. Capable of sorcery? Both of 'em. Knowledgeable about Light Force? Yes. The methods they use to achieve what they want are similar, except their methods differ.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Sanguine. She is vibrant, full of childish energy, but still pretty smart all the same.
- Genki Girl: A more mild example than some, but she does seem pretty energetic at the festival at the beginning.