The main character and hero of the game. The catch is that you play as four Links in this game, but his/their destiny is the same as always. With the Four Sword/s in hand/s, he/they set out to Save the Princess and defeat the Evil Sorcerer Vaati.
- Always Save the Girl: Princess Zelda, of course.
- Back-to-Back Badasses: When the four Links fight alongside each other.
- Bash Brothers: The fact that the Link who collects the most rupees gets a special reward at the end of each level encourages this.
- Heroism Incentive: The Links have to prove their worth as heroes to the Great Fairies... by collecting lots of money for them.
Princess Zelda is Link's childhood friend. At the beginning of the game, she explains the Four Sword´s backstory to Link. She is worried that the seal on Vaati might be weakening and goes to check on it, which promptly gets her kidnapped by Vaati.
The Great Fairies
The Great Fairies
Three Great Fairies that hold the keys that are needed to advance further and eventually reach Vaati. However, they won´t give them to the Links for free. They first have to prove themselves to them by collecting many rupees.
Vaati is a powerful Evil Sorcerer in Four Swords. No longer remembering his past as a Picori, his motivation is entirely based on his lust.
- Blow You Away: Did his title of "wind mage" not tip you off?!
- Dirty Old Man: He's several hundred years old, yet he kidnaps Zelda (who is around twelve) to be his bride.
- Generic Doomsday Villain: He wants to force Zelda to marry him, because... erm... We aren't given a reason; apparently, he's just a pervert.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: His entire motivation for this game is kidnapping Zelda and making her his bride.
- Interim Villain: More of a meta-example.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Word of God stated that this is the reason why he seems different from his Minish Cap interpretation. Apparently, Link gave him amnesia with the first defeat.
- Meaningful Name: In the Japanese version, he's called "Gufu", which literally means "tornado".
- Motive Decay: Chronologically. After the events of Minish Cap, Vaati lost his memory of being a Picori, and no longer desires the Light Force: all he wants is a bride.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: He starts out sealed in the Four Sword.