Characters: Spider Man Family
This page details Peter Parker's family and relatives.
open/close all folders
Anna May Watson
Debut: The Amazing Spider-Man #15
Debut: Amazing Fantasy #15
- Beam Me Up, Scotty!: Never actually gave Peter the "with great power" line in the original... origin, but he says it in just about every adaptation.
- Also a retcon. Peter mentions that he DID tell him the line any time he gets the chance.
- Cool Old Guy: In Ultimate Spider-Man, and quite a few flashbacks.
- Death by Origin Story
- Happily Married
- Killed Off for Real: Due to Death by Origin Story. He's pretty much the only Marvel character who hasn't come back from the dead.
- The Obi-Wan: It varies in continuity to continuity, but he is the main inspiration in Peter's resolution to do good.
- In Ultimate Spider-Man he's brought back to life in the Nightmare world to haunt Peter with the fact that he couldn't save him. Instead he shows his approval for what Peter's doing and gives sage advice and encouragement.
- Parental Substitute
- Uncle Wolf: One flashback to Peter's childhood has him chasing off a few bullies harassing Peter with a baseball bat.
- Posthumous Character
Mary and Richard Parker
Debut: The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5
- Action Dad/Action Mom/Badass Normal: Depending on the Writer, mind you, but they've been shown doing some pretty awesome things, and they took on the Red Skull, for pete's sake, even if it did result in their deaths, but they died protecting their country, which Peter takes some measure of pride in. More recently in the standalone story Family Business, in particular, they're shown operating some rather powerful weaponry.
- Death by Origin Story: Something of a lesser variant, they weren't directly involved in Peter's origin as Spider-Man (though their profession and deaths resulted in Peter living with Ben and May), and their deaths weren't even elaborated on until an annual during the Lee/Romita run.
- Reverse Mole: They were spies; in some continuities they were Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Debut: Amazing Fantasy #15
- Almighty Mom: She can get J. Jonah Jameson and Wolverine, of all people, to submit to her requests!
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Cool Old Lady
- Granny Classic: Depending on the writer she might Take a Level in Badass, but everyone seems to be in agreement she likes to bake, cook, and can't be bothered with hair dye.
- Happily Married: With JJJ's dad as of BND (the ceremony takes place in issue #600). Peter alternates between finding it adorable and horrifying. Jonah would rather not think about it at all.
- Heroic Bystander: More so when written by JMS, during her brief time being in on the secret.
- Horrible Judge of Character: For a long time, she considered Spider-Man to be "awful", and thought Doctor Octopus was a "gentleman" (Even after he held her hostage). She was even like this in her youth: She almost got engaged to a criminal named Johnny Jerome, refusing to listen to Ben Parker when he tried to tell her the truth about him, thinking he was slandering Johnny out of jealousy. It was only when he showed her hard evidence that her engagement ring had been stolen that she believed him.
- Insistent Terminology: In The Sixties, would constantly say "pussywillow" instead of "pussycat" when attempting to use hip lingo.
- The Match Maker: For Peter and MJ. One More Day aside, it works!
- Maiden Aunt: Although she's a widow and not a maiden.
- Mama Bear
- Never Mess with Auntie
- Parental Substitute
- Progressively Prettier: In the earlier issues, May looked very wizened and wrinkled. Over time, artists have drawn her as less so.
- Shipper on Deck: Is usually a pretty vocal Peter/MJ shipper, and conspired with Anna to set them up on their first date.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Is not supportive of "Peter"'s relationship with Anna Maria Marconi, going so far as to disparagingly remark on her short stature.
Scarlet Spider I / Spider-Man II
AKA: Benjamin Reilly
Debut: The Amazing Spider-Man #149
Scarlet Spider IV
AKA: Kaine Parker
Debut: Web of Spider-Man #115
- Abusive Parents: The Jackal.
- Anti-Hero: As the second Scarlet Spider. Where he fits on the scale remains to be seen.
- Arachnid Appearance and Attire: As the Scarlet Spider. Taken to a new level following his second resurrection.
- The Atoner: In the new Scarlet Spider series.
- Badass Longcoat: Part of his ensemble in the 90's.
- Cain and Abel: Literally plays the "Cain" to Peter and Ben's Abel.
- Came Back Strong: Kaine is resurrected twice, both times with enhanced spider-powers and both times by Ero, who is hinted to be the totemic spider deity Peter encountered in The Other.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Just like Peter and Ben. Issue 12 has him passed out after THREE beers.
- Clone Degeneration: Suffered from it prior to Spider-Island.
- Cloning Blues: Like Ben Reilly, he was a clone of Spider-Man.
- Death Seeker: Why he sacrifices himself in Grim Hunt.
- Inhuman Human: Both times after being resurrected he is brought back as an anthropomorphic spider.
- I'm Not a Hero, I'm...: Cursed by those Parker genes.
- Heel-Face Turn: Starts during Spider-Man: Redemption. Ends in a Heroic Sacrifice in "Grim Hunt", though he is resurrected.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In "Grim Hunt". Fortunately he gets better in "Spider-Island".
- Legacy Character: Becomes the new Scarlet Spider after "Spider-Island".
- My Greatest Failure: Killing the love of his life in "The Lost Years" because she was a Dirty Cop. Not to mention losing his "brother" Ben.
- Name of Cain
- Nineties Anti-Hero: Wore a blade-studded black-and-grey bodysuit during the 90's and wasn't shy about killing his victims.
- Not So Different: With Ben. It's what starts his Heel-Face Turn.
- Redemption Equals Death: Sacrifices himself to save Peter, but is resurrected during the Spider-Island arc.
- Seer: Has unpredictable, painful visions, but he seems to have lost this ability following his rebirth.
- Shadow Archetype: To Ben Reilly, and Peter to a lesser extent.
- Up to Eleven: As implied in the comics and later confirmed by Word of God, some of Kaine's powers are actually augmented spider-powers - the Mark of Kaine for wall-crawling and premonitions for Spider-Sense.
- Played straight when he gains the same augmented powers Peter did in The Other during Spider-Island.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Sometimes with Ben and Peter, when they weren't trying to kill each other. Since he got his own series, is this with Officer Layton.