Characters: Soul Eater Witches
Expect lots of Badass Tropes
Beware of Unmarked Spoilers!
open/close all folders
Not actually a witch, Blair is just a cat with strong magical powers (or so she claims). When in human form she is Fanservice
incarnate and often flirts with Soul in order to fluster him, much to Maka's irritation. Still, however, there much more to her then she let's on and is a consistent enigma in the series. Blair's magical theme is pumpkins.
Her name is apparently a reference to the Blair Witch Project
- All Witches Have Cats: Of the extreme variety. She's a magic cat that likes dressing like a witch, possibly because of this trope
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Male!Blair actually manages to seduce a succubus.
- Back from the Dead: Dies in her first encounter against Maka and Soul. Then promptly shows back up, much to the pair's confusion. Since she's a cat, she has nine lives.
- Blush Sticker: Whenever she's catty.
- Calling Your Attack: Halloween Cannon, among others.
- Cat Girl: Heh heh...
- Cats Are Magic: She's the only animal to be shown to have magical powers.
- Cats Have Nine Lives: In their first fight, Soul and Maka did actually manage to kill Blair and eat her soul...one of them, anyway. She still has eight more souls.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: It's easy to forget she was handing Maka and Soul's asses several times in the first episode without trying much. There is also the fact she can use her explosive magic power and kick the Mizune Sisters' asses in cat form. That goes without saying, do not underestimate this feline.
- Cute Witch / Hot Witch: She knows magic, she wears the outfit, but not a Witch in terms of how the series defines it.
- Defeat Means Friendship: How else to explain why she moved in with Soul and Maka?
- Detached Sleeves: Which she can actually use as some sort of tentacles to attack.
- The Ditz: Her magic must be in-born because she's not exactly the brightest bulb in the sign.
- Femme Fatalons
- Fun Personified: Is there any scene that Blair can't make better just by showing up?
- Genre Savvy: After switching genders and encountering the succubus, she (he?) instantly figured she (he?) could use her (his?) looks to her (his?) advantage. It works.
- Genki Girl
- Little Bit Beastly: Her humanoid form qualifies as such, having cat ears and a cat tail.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: She's very flirty and the actual last person to regain her usual form after the cast gets genderflipped for an amount of time proportional to the amount of lust they have. When the second to last asks if she's back to a girl yet she replies "Of course I'm still a tom" with a clear tone of "What are you, stupid?"
- Magical Incantation: Pu-Pumpkin, Pumpkin...
- Marshmallow Hell: Puts Soul in this at least three times.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is a Shout-Out to The Blair Witch Project.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Naked First Impression: When they first meet, Soul falls on her while she's in the bathtub. The rest of Maka's friends end up meeting her this way as well.
- Naked on Arrival: She's introduced taking a bath.
- Nice Girl: She can be a bit perverted and ditzy, but she is a very friendly.
- Nice Hat: She can even us it as a weapon! And it's always on her no matter what form.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: When she gets turned into a guy.
- Pretty Freeloader: She just sort of invades Soul and Maka's house after they eat one of her souls.
- Shameless Fanservice Girl: Has no problem with her towel falling off after taking a shower while in the living room in front of the likes of Soul, Kid, and Black Star.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Fitting, as she's a cat with magic powers.
- The Tease
- Team Pet
- Unusual Ears: Her cat ears in humanoid form.
- Weaponized Headgear
- Werecat: As a cat that can take human form.
- Woman in Black
- You Gotta Have Purple Hair
- Zettai Ryouiki
Medusa is the first Big Bad
in Soul Eater
, Arachne's younger sister, and Crona's abusive mother. She's a deadly combination of Manipulative Bastard
and Mad Scientist
, and she consistently refuses to just die
. Her magical theme is snakes.
- Abusive Mom: She's a particularly cold-hearted example of this towards Crona. She locked Crona up when s/he was little in a dark closet with no food for 5 days when s/he refused to kill 3 rabbits in 3 different ways; presented to Crona via a child's picture book. And chapter 69 implies that she'd had the idea for Crona to kill her and complete the black blood in mind for a very long time.
- Action Mom: Villainous example.
- Animal Motifs: Snakes.
- Arch-Enemy: Obviously to Maka.
- Badass Boast: See Rage Against the Heavens below, combined with a liberal helping of Deadpan Snarker.
- Big Bad: She's the only main villain to always remain active following her debut arc until she's finally killed by Crona.
- Blondes are Evil
- Card-Carrying Villain: We eventually discover she truly has no redeemable qualities whatsoever.
- The Chessmaster: Especially during the Arachnephobia/Brew Island arc, where she managed to pull the a fast one on both without either realizing it.
- The Comically Serious: She's a bit puzzled by light-hearted folks such as Death, Spirit, and Tezca, and generally tries to stay away.
(After meeting Tezca and Enrique
) "Shibusen never ceases to amaze me..."
- The Corrupter: In her own way, more dangerous about this than even the Kishin. She knows exactly what she's doing and saves her effort for the most effect.
- Cry Cute: Played for laughs when she's hit by Death's Shinigami Chop while in Rachel's body.
- Curtains Match the Window: Until changing to Arachne's body, which (going by the cover of volume 20) somehow made her keep her original eye-color but get black hair like Arachne.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Lampshaded by her when she shuts off Chrona's Black Blood using her soul wavelength.
- Dark Action Girl
- Deadpan Snarker: Wields this tendency with Manipulative Bitchiness, in order to best tweak others' noses out of line.
- Devil in Plain Sight: When she's working at DMWA as a nurse as she can mask her presence as witch.
- Die Laughing: Through her own death, she has the last laugh on Crona.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Medusa is a barefooter, and was actually introduced feet-first. She only wears shoes when she is in disguise. This is probably because she's a snake.
- Evil Matriarch
- Evil Plan: Thinks the world under Shinigami's rule is boring so her initial plan was to release Asura For Science!.
- Eviler than Thou: Is one of the few who is seen as an enemy by the DWMA and the Witches. The only other person who held this trait was her older sister.
- Expy of Naruto's Kabuto and Orochimaru and later gets a Shout-Out with the former wearing a similar cloak.
- Famous Last Words: "I love you, Crona." Given what happened beforehand, it's far from a Pet the Dog moment.
- Fun Size: After she possesses the body of a little girl.
- Fur and Loathing: During the first on-screen appearance of a witch's meeting, she is shown leaving wearing a fur coat.
- Gorgeous Gorgon
- Grand Theft Me:
- Hannibal Lecture: Has entirely too much fun with these.
- The Heavy: Almost everything in the story happened because of Medusa's plan to revive Asura.
- Hellish Pupils: To go along with the snake-like look.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Invoked the first time she shows maternal affection towards Crona: Crona, who is now thoroughly insane, butchers her for it, believing that the real Medusa could never be so kind. Being the Magnificent Bitch she is, however, she fully saw it coming and, in fact, invoked it as part of her plan.
- Hospital Hottie: By the start of the show she's infiltrated the DWMA as a nurse, occasionally taking the chance to use students as test subjects.
- Hot Witch
- I Lied: Constantly.
- Jerkass: Calling Medusa a massive asshole would be an understatement, given her track record listed.
- Joker Immunity: Was nearly killed by Stein and Spirit, but survived her body getting to beaten to be of any use, she breaks her soul into pieces and hides them inside one of her snakes and pulls a Grand Theft Me on a little girl. After pulling a successful Enemy Mine against Arachne, she manages to get away despite Maka's attempts to kill her. She manages to keep out of sight for the rest of the series, and only dies because she wanted to.
- Killed Off for Real: She wanted to die, though - in order to turn Crona into a Humanoid Abomination. Even in death, she gets what she wants.
- Knight of Cerebus: The series is mostly comedic before her appearance, but after she does, it starts becoming FAR more serious and contain for more Nightmare Fuel.
- Kung-Fu Witch: Though she rarely uses physical attacks, she uses a lot of acrobatics to get around.
- Lack of Empathy: She makes Stein look warm-hearted.
- Lies to Children: Especially her own. And that child's friends. And everyone else, of course.
- Magical Incantation: Snake, snake, cobra, cobra...
- Mad Scientist: Lately she's shown definite shades of this, with all her work and "experiments" to perfect the Black Blood and artificial Clowns. May also partly explain why she seems so attracted to Dr. Stein.
- Manipulative Bitch: Although plenty powerful in a direct confrontation, she generally prefers to exploit people, even if they know she shouldn't be trusted.
- Meaningful Name: If you consider that "Gorgon" is also the Greek word for "horrible"...
- Theme Naming: Her full name refers to the snake haired Medusa who was the only mortal monster among the three Gorgon sisters, which fits with her sister Arachne who is also named for a woman from a Greek myth.
- Morally Ambiguous Doctorate: She apparently has an M.D., or at least faked the credentials for one because students used the title "Doctor" when referring to her on multiple occasions. Considering how she dabbles into Mad Scientist territory occasionally, post-graduate education might be reasonable.
- Orifice Invasion: During a confrontation, she shoved her arms down Eruka's and a Mizune's throats, secretly depositing a number of magical snake constructs into their bodies. As demonstrated with Mizune, the snakes can tear them apart from the inside with a simple command from Medusa.
- Also attempts this on Stein via a vector-laced kiss, only to be foiled by a pesky distraction. She later succeeds in getting one into Marie by having Crona slip it into her tea, where its wavelength reaps all manner of havoc on Stein until it's caught. Eventually.
- Rage Against the Heavens: "Defying gods is in a witch's job description."
- Sigil Spam: Arrows. Her motif is snakes, but her snakes are almost always represented by black arrows, or "vectors". She uses them as ranged weapons (Vector Arrow), as a tag on the floor to shove her enemies around (Vector Plate), as close-range weapons attached to her body, and various other things. Even her blood and organs take the shape of arrows after her battle with Stein.
- Slasher Smile: The undisputed master of it; her grins distort her entire face.
- Smug Snake: Mostly averted, actually, even though it's tempting to call this trope on her due to her snake motifs. Whilst she is infuriatingly self-confident pretty much all the time, she usually has reason to be; that is to say, her plans usually work. After all, Asura got released, didn't he? Also, see further Thanatos Gambit below... Usually, therefore, she comes off as more of a Magnificent Bitch... with heavy emphasis on the "bitch".
- The Social Darwinist: Her stated motivation for unleashing madness: People will get stronger.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Besides being a witch these are no doubt meant to underscore her snake motif.
- Terms of Endangerment: Persists in calling Maka "Maka-chan." Maka hates it, obviously.
- Thanatos Gambit/Strike Me Down with All of Your Hatred: Thanks to Foreshadowing from Tezca Tlipoca, she found out that Crona would be the death of her, so she put it to good use by provoking Crona's festering hatred of her by showing Crona kindness, thus completing her research into black blood.
- Tsurime Eyes
- The Vamp: To Stein, though the large majority of this comes from the anime.
- Villainous Crush: She seems to be rather interested in Stein, but he rejects her by saying she doesn't even know what love is.
- Villains Never Lie: In the manga she calls an Enemy Mine with the DWMA against Arachnophobia, claiming it was because they kidnapped Crona and she want to save her. Maka definitely wanted it to be true, and in spite of Soul's advice started to trust Medusa by the end. She was lying.
- Woman in Black
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness: Or maybe that should be snakeiness.
- You Will Not Evade Me: Can use her Vector Plates to trap her opponents. Prominently, she formed a circle of these around her and Stein in their first battle.
Voiced by: Misato Fukuen
(JP), Kate Oxley (EN), Ilaria Latini (IT)
A witch in Medusa's employ. Eruka has no particular loyalty to Medusa, but ends up doing her dirty work anyway because Medusa threatened her with gory death if she refused. Seems to be good friends with the Mizune sisters. Eruka's magical theme is frogs. She was later captured by DWMA to save Kid and has been freed to help fight the Kishin on the Moon.
- Animal Motifs: Frogs.
- Anti-Villain: She doesn't want much of anything to do with Medusa, but isn't free to act on her own.
- Berserk Button: She gets rather upset when anyone does something to her pet/familiar Tadpole Jackson.
- Butt Monkey: Since losing to Medusa she's been subject to quite a lot of humiliation and physical abuse (like Medusa ordering her to turn into a frog so she can step on her, or Black Star threatening to eat her), basically all of which is played for laughs.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Tends to be the Butt Monkey in a given fight (to be fair, a given fight in Soul Eater is rather insane), ducking and covering before maybe doing something rather useful. Place her in a support role with her magic calculation, however, and you get a completely different variation for the Holy Shit Quotient. Shooting targets on the moon comes to mind.
- Cute Witch
- Explosive Leash: Medusa put countless magical snakes into Eruka's body that will rip her apart on-command. When the DWMA captures her they subject her to a literal explosive leash at the same time.
- Familiar: Has one named Tadpole Jackson, whom she rides on and cares for very much.
- Having a Blast: Most of her spells involve creating exploding tadpoles that look like Cartoon Bombs.
- Lovable Coward: Mostly "lovable" thanks to her Chew Toy status and by being one of the less evil witches.
- Mad Bomber: She's not as indiscriminate as most, but she does state blowing things are up is why she enjoys being a witch.
- Nice Hat: It even has eyes and a mouth!
- Pragmatic Villainy: She was one of the first witches to realize how much bad news Medusa was (justifiably so), but trying to kill her was mostly because Eruka thought Medusa was drawing too much attention from the DWMA.
- Significant Anagram: Her name rearranges into "kaeru" (Japanese for "frog").
- Smug Frog: Was one until she got taken down a peg or two by Medusa.
- Spell My Name with an S: It's Eruka, not Elka (as per the localizations).
- Trapped In Villainy: On her own, she's fairly harmless. She likes seeing stuff blow up, but is otherwise low key. However, she was pressed into service by Medusa.
- Underestimating Badassery: She really, really had no idea what kind of person Medusa is until she saw one of the Mizune sisters get ripped apart.
- Verbal Tic: ...geko.
Mizune is the surname of a family of witches who all look alike and whose animal theme is mice. One of them, along with Eruka, attempted to kill Medusa, but was herself killed in the process. Eruka then told the her sister she was killed by the DWMA, and they joined Medusa to seek revenge. The five family members can merge into a single larger being (pictured on the left).
- Adorable Evil Minions: The individual Mizune have the appearance of mouse-like children, despite apparently all being adult.
- Animal Motifs: Mice.
- Bare Your Midriff/Underboobs: Normal Mizune all wear a cylinder-shaped garment that cover pretty much everything, but on combined Mizune it only goes from her shoulders down to most of her breasts. Lampshaded by Blair during their "confrontation". It's also implied that the only reason it's like this is because Medusa had killed one of the sisters, and that the top part of the outfit is normally longer.
- Bishoujo Line: They can transform from a pack of gonks/moes into one Ms. Fanservice.
- Cat Fight: They get a literal one against Blair. With an all-male audience watching, of course.
- Fusion Dance: The Mizune sisters can merge together into one being. Or two.
- Laser Blade: Whisker Beam, which they can use in all their forms.
- Nice Hat: Specifically one that looks like a mouse head.
- Significant Anagram: Their name is an anagram of nezumi, the Japanese word for "mouse".
- The Unintelligible: At least while they're not fused.
- Verbal Tic: They make mouse chittering when fused (except for their 5 people fusion).
Arachne is the second Big Bad
in Soul Eater
, Medusa's older sister, and a powerful witch. She is the leader of the massive Organization "Arachnophobia" and is referred to as the mother of all Demon Weapons. Her magical theme is spiders. Killed off by Maka and her soul eaten by Soul to strengthen.
- Animal Motifs: Spiders.
- Arachnid Appearance and Attire
- Assimilation Plot: In the manga, Arachne's ultimate goal is to shed her physical body and become madness itself, uniting all people in insanity (and the feeling of their brains being eaten by spiders.
- Arc Villain: For the combined Brew Island/Capture Baba Yaga's Castle arcs.
- Dark Action Girl
- Death Glare: To rival Medusa's. Web patterns creep across her face when she decides to look scary.
- Didn't See That Coming: What's the matter, Arachne? Didn't think that losing your physical body would be a hindrance, even though you'd be almost incapable of defending yourself? Too bad.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette
- Evil Aunt: To Crona, but this only comes up in her first scene, when Arachne offers Crona her love but is rejected.
- Expy: Who can look at Arachne without thinking of Lulu first?
- Hannibal Lecture: It seems to run in the family; most of Arachne and Medusa's interactions run on this.
- The Heretic: She's hated and feared by the other witches for experimenting on them too.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: In the Anime, Her plan to make Asura fall in love with her works too well since Asura rushes to kill her as soon as he realizes that he cares about her.
- In the manga Soul uses her own madness-spreading web to cast the anti-madness wavelength and nullify her powers.
- Hot Witch
- Mad Love: In the anime at least. Seriously, was her and Asura ever gonna work out?
- Meaningful Name: Arachne of Greek mythology was a very talented woman who abused her talent which invoked the wrath of a god who caused her to become a spider for her heresy.
- Theme Naming: She and Medusa share names with woman in Greek myths who were cursed by the goddess Athena, which led to becoming associated with an often venomous creature.
- Mind Rape: Her Insanity Attack. By blasting others' minds with insanity, she took out Medusa in one blow and almost gained control over Soul (until Maka snapped him out of it).
- Orcus on His Throne: She's much less action-prone than Medusa, and she spends most of the time slouched on her web-throne. Justified in that she was out of practice due to eight centuries spent as a millions of spiders.
- Really Eight Hundred Years Old / Older than They Look: Her physical beauty didn't change one bit in that timespan.
- Soul Jar: She placed her soul in a golem eight centuries ago as a means of hiding.
- Spider People: Upon leaving her mortal body she now takes the form of her former self' torso on a giant spider's black body.
- Surveillance as the Plot Demands: She can see and hear through any spider in the world.
- The Vamp: Toward pretty much the whole of Arachnophobia, which is as much a criminal empire as a cult of personality centered around her.
- Wicked Cultured: She's much more refined than her younger sister, as hinted by her theme song. She is often seen drinking wine in her spare time.
- Woman in Black
A child witch under the protection of Mifune, to whom she is very devoted. Angela's magical theme is geckos. After Mifune dies, she taken in by Shibusen in the hopes of curbing her of evil nature of witches. Black Star has appointed himself as her new protector in honor of Mifune, whom he ironically killed.
Risa and Arisa
Two women who work in the cabaret club with Blair. In the manga, they turn out to be witches and spies for Arachnophobia, and are taken into custody.
The current leader of all witches. She is held in high regard for being almost as powerful as Shinigami. Her left eye was taken by Free, and is now covered by a bandage with 1/2 written across it. Her specialty is Spatial Magic.
- Animal Motifs: Seems to be crows. The courthouse was full of them(Including a giant bird skeleton in a bowl), and her sleeves make her arms look like wings.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: She is a witch who is almost on par with Shinigami, and is considered the leader of her race.
- Barrier Maiden: Uses her magic to warp an unknown area so witches can have a haven to reside in and hide from the DWMA.
- Big Damn Heroes: She uses her magic to save Spirit, Sid, and Marie from getting sealed on the moon in the manga's last chapter.
- Eyepatch of Power: Wears one with 1/2 on it.
- The Faceless: Differs from Face Framed in Shadow to "only seen from the neck down." However, you can see her eye.
- Nice Hat: Closer to the stereotypical "pointed witch hat" than most others, but also has a face on it.
- Pokémon Speak: Nyamu!
- Reasonable Authority Figure: She's the only witch who listens to Death the Kid's pleas for aid. She also doesn't seem to bear a grudge against Free for stealing her eye, and even works in tandem with him to help evacuate the moon.
- Space Master: Her specialty.
Kimial Tiru Kim Diehl
The apparent Big Bad
of Soul Eater Not!
She's the younger sister of Arachne and Medusa, though it's unknown just yet where she was during the main storyline.
- Animal Motifs: Hers is the scorpion. Along with Arachne (spider) and Medusa (snake), that completes the typical trio of venomous animals.
- Ambition Is Evil: Her drive to be the superior of the Gorgon sisters and crushing the DWMA.
- Arc Villain
- Big Bad: Of Soul Eater Not!
- Cute Witch: Her appearance is somewhat creepy, but she is nonetheless still rather cute.
- Sigil Spam: Those under her mind control gain design representing a scorpion's claws in their right eye.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Has pupils that resemble a yin-yang.
- The Ghost: In the main series. It's mentioned perhaps that there are three Gorgon sisters, but she's never named or alluded to again. The spinoff was her first actual appearance.
- Knight of Cerebus: Like Medusa she makes the story head in a darker direction even if she does not consume the mood completely.
- Manipulative Bitch: Her behavior so far suggests this. Apparently it runs in the family.
- Mooks: "Traitors" who fight the heroes and those brainwashed by her rings.
- Nice Hat: Or whatever that weird head cloth-thing of hers is.
- Oh Crap: Her last expression in the anime when the heroines manage to push through her attack and proceed to strike her down.
- People Puppets: Her rings seem to give her this power over people.
- Prehensile Hair: In a large braid with a stinger on the end.
- School Uniforms are the New Black: Wears a sailor fuku for some reason.
- The Faceless: Her face didn't appear in the anime until episode 5.