TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Characters: Soul Eater Death Scythes
Expect lots of Badass Tropes
Beware of Unmarked Spoilers!
open/close all folders
Lord Death's current weapon and Maka's estranged but affectionate father. Maka's mother was his former meister, but she divorced him due to his constant flirting with other women.
- Action Dad
- Adaptation Dye-Job: The anime gives him blue eyes, but in the manga his eyes are as green as Maka's.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parent
- Berserk Button: If there's something he hates, it's child abuse: for all of his faults as a husband, he truly wants to be a good dad. When Medusa gloats about her horrible treatment of Crona, Spirit is angry. VERY ANGRY.
- Broken Pedestal: Maka absolutely loved her father as a child, but after Spirit cheated on her Mother, her belief in her Father was shattered.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Marie once mentioned Spirit's expertise in soul wavelength control in the same sentence she pointed out his womanizing.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander:
: "What on earth are you doing, Spirit?" Spirit
: I'm sending positive energy to Maka so she'll do well on the test. Stein
: Okay... Spirit
: Anything else? Stein
: No. Continue. Spirit
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Spirit is almost always seen wearing his cross-shaped tie, and without its blade his Weapon form looks like a tall, thin cross.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: It's easy to forget that he is Lord Death's personal Death Scythe for a good reason. In the hands of Stein the two are nearly unstoppable, and when Death wields him.....
- Doting Parent: He is a doting father who really tries his very best for Maka. Unfortunately, while a doting father, he is a terrible husband.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: He is sometimes called by just his title, Death Scythe, probably to acknowledge he is Lord Death's Weapon.
- Foil: With Medusa, namely that both are parents of a Meister who end up having Black Blood in them. Spirit though is a Handsome Lech and Doting Parent that genuinely loves Maka while Medusa is a Abusive Parent who cares little for her child. Thees also the fact that Spirit is a Deathsycthe and Medusa is a witch, making them naturally enemies.
- Go Out with a Smile: The Kishin's getting sealed on the moon, with a good number of people (Spirit included) still on it. What does Spirit do? Grin and flash a thumbs-up at a (safe, but absolutely horrified) Maka. He didn't die, but certainly thought he would.
- Subverted in that when Mabaa teleported them out, he had a terrified facial expression and was in a defensive pose. Presumably he was just smiling until he though Maka couldn't see him.
- Handsome Lech
- Let's Get Dangerous: Spirit is normally goofy and flirty, but when he needs to be serious, he's a major threat.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Though not quite lovable enough to stop his wife from divorcing him.
- Morality Chain: To Stein, especially when they were students.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Like Death, if he's not joking around, it's a sign of trouble. His aforementioned reaction to Medusa is the only time we see Spirit get angry. His response to Shinigami in the later chapters may also count; his meister is commenting on the circumstances of his own death and his normally talkative Weapon isn't saying a word.
- Odd Friendship: With Lord Death.
- Over-Enthusiastic Parents
- Over Protective Dad: His reaction to Maka being threatened is entirely understandable. His reaction to Soul, on the other hand...
- Papa Wolf: No matter how silly he is, the guy isn't going to hesitate going full-force to protect his daughter. Judging by his unusually aggressive reaction to Medusa, this trope may extend to children in general.
- Red-Headed Hero
- Significant Green Eyed Red Head
- Simple Yet Awesome: His incredibly precise control over his wavelength allows Spirit to toss himself to anyone, even a Red Shirt, and help them wield him like a pro, by boosting their specific skills. Have him jump around a battlefield to where he's needed, and suddenly the Red Shirt Army becomes a Badass Army.
- Sinister Scythe: Unlike Soul, Spirit looks more like a thin, long-shafted cross with the scythe blade coming out from one of the arms.
- Talking Weapon
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and Lord Death annoy one another quite frequently, but he does seem to care about his meister (e.g the Sanzu Lines business) and his role as Death Scythe.
- Wacky Parent, Serious Child: With Maka.
- "Well Done, Dad" Guy: He constantly tries to be an admirable father-figure to Maka and seeks her approval; she appreciates his love and hard work, but continues to be angered by his stupidity.
- Your Cheating Heart: The reason his wife divorced him and the main source of tension in his relationship with Maka.
The Death Scythe in charge of Europe. His weapon form, the guillotine, fits his title of "executioner". He's usually seen wearing priestly garb and a pair of headphones that he keeps on at high volume. In the manga he turns out to have been a spy for Noah and the Kishin, much to the shock of his former colleagues.
- Adaptational Heroism: In the anime he never turns out to be evil.
- Art Shift: Since his Face-Heel Turn, the panels depicting him have grown steadily more warped and twisted.
- Badass Biker: Towing a coffin, to boot.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: His usual and most basic attack consist in sprouting a guillotine blade on his arm and shoot it or use it to slice in melee.
- Blond Guys Are Evil
- Calling Your Attacks: Does this often. As he grow more and more insane he can't fully call out most of his longer attacks anymore.
- Child Prodigy: Attained Death Scythe status as a thirteen year old, without the help of a meister to boot.
- Church Militant
- The Dragon: Has effectively become one for Kishin Asura.
- Evil Counterpart: To Stein. Both grappled with madness; Justin was much better at hiding it, but ultimately gave into it at the end, whereas Stein makes no secret of it and stays loyal to Lord Death.
- Evil Feels Good: He consider being Asura's Dragon is a pleasant life.
- Evil Makes You Ugly
- Expy: In some ways, he's an expy of Lorgar Aurelian. He has a slight resemblance to Luxord as well.
- Face-Heel Turn
- Foil: The Death Scythe who became one alone and worships the Big Good, compared to Giriko, the weapon who fights alone for Arachne the Heretic witch.
- Also to Stein the technician who can work either alone or with any weapon, and whose madness is public knowledge and is likely to tip over to insanity and the Dark Side, but never goes truly evil in the manga, and only briefly in the anime. Meanwhile, Manga!Justin hides his madness before cannonballing into insanity and Dragon status to the Big Bad... and never turns in the anime. Naturally, the two repeatedly fight in the manga, Justin initially alone and Stein wielding Marie.
- Fusion Dance: With any of the Khishin's Clowns. See One-Winged Angel.
- Go Mad from the Isolation: His loneliness is what ended up driving him insane.
- Good Shepherd: A holy man who venerates the Big Good and smites evil. In this manga this is inverted as he is truly a Sinister Minister that worships Ashura.
- Headphones Equal Isolation
- Improbable Age/Teen Genius: He became a Death Scythe at age 13, the youngest in DWMA's history.
- Coordinator of Western Europe by age seventeen, aka when we meet him.
- Improbable Weapon: Why is he the only Death Scythe who graduated without a partner? No one figured out how they were supposed to wield a guillotine.
- Knight Templar
- Large Ham: A side affect of his frequent yelling, dramatic speeches and arm gestures, especially when talking to Shinigami-sama. Though it may be a subtle side effect of his insanity or an act to fit in better with the quirkier Death Scythes.
- Light Is Not Good: Dresses in priest's garb, has an attack called "Law Abiding Silver Gun," and always aims to strike down enemies of his God... Except his God happens to be the Kishin.
- Limited Wardrobe: Justified, by the priest wearing proper vestments.
- Loners Are Freaks: He constantly isolated himself even as a child, and uses his headphones, speakers, and other noise to cut himself off from the world.
- Stein says his isolation is the reason Law gave into madness.
- Loves the Sound of Screaming: He only willingly takes off his earphones because of this.
- Madness Makeover: When he fuses with the Clown.
- The Mole: Manga only.
- Names to Trust Immediately: Justin Law sounds like "Justice Law" which is a fitting name for one of the chief enforcers of the Incarnation of Order and Stability in the verse (I.E. Death). Inverted, in the manga, as he truly works for the Incarnation of Madness.
- No Indoor Voice: He might as well be deaf when he has his head phones on, which means he can't hear himself either so he winds up talking loudly or yelling a lot.
- One-Winged Angel: By fusing with a clown, Justin gains a large helmet and the power to create all sorts of guillotine themed weapons at great distances.
- Production Throwback: His most common attack, the "Law Abiding Silver Gun", is named after Yowhey Nanami's Swiss Army Weapon in B.Ichi, Ookubo's previous series.
- Psycho Supporter: He is fanatically devoted to Asura, who he worship because he is the God of Fear and Madness.
- Punny Name: On "Justinian law" which was created in an attempt to unify the Roman Empire by requiring that all citizens convert to Christianity.
- Reading Lips: Which is good, considering his headphones.
- Unfortunately, he does not seem to get along well with Tezca Tlipoca, as he wears a mask, making him unable to read his lips. So usually, whatever Tezca has to say to him goes ignored unless accompanied by the Clown
- Scars Are Forever: The scar he got when Tezca Tlipoca burned off half his face has stayed the same since it happened. Not particularly notable since that sounds reasonable, except for the fact that his eye has apparently been on fire since it happened.
- Slasher Smile: He's relatively low-key until Chapter 69, when he starts busting out grins that threaten to split his head in half.
- Stay in the Kitchen: He shows a bit of a misogynist streak in one of his later appearances, though Marie quickly reminds him who he's dealing with.
- Talking Weapon
- This Is Your Brain on Evil: The longer he stays on Asura side, the crazier he goes. By the time of his fight with Tezca Tlipoca, he's starts slipping into complete, incoherent raving madness. Then again, working for the embodiment of insanity can't be mentally healthy.
- Troll: Normally can't be bothered to remove his headphones, even when he can't hear what people are saying. Except he can read lips, and will sometimes refrain from saying so until he's sufficiently annoying. Giriko was not amused.
- Use Your Head: Though ironically when he uses a headbutt in a fight he calls it "Headbutt of Love".
- Walking Spoiler: Mostly for those reading the manga.
- You Are Not Alone: Tezca makes this speech in the manga right before Justin kills him off for real... once Justin's started merging with Kishin clowns. So thanks to Kishin, he really doesn't have to be alone anymore.
The Death Scythe in charge of Oceania. Her weapon form is that of a large hammer (though partially resembles a tonfa), and her last name is derived from the legendary hammer of Thor
, Mjolnir. She wears an eyepatch with a thunderbolt insignia.
- Action Girl
- Babies Ever After: With Stein. The extra soul wavelength in her womb is received quite well. The part where Stein declares the kid another guinea pig, not so much.
- Christmas Cake: She's so desperate for commitment that she tried to marry a toilet. The fact she has Stein's child in her womb may mean she is able to avert this trope now.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Again, tried to marry a toilet.
- Cool Teacher: Cares for her students a great deal and has a tight bond with them.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: On one hand, oddball christmas cake. On the other hand, formidable death scythe.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: With Stein, against Justin Law.
- Is also Curb-Stomped later on, by Justin. Then again, Noah was there too, so so were her comrades. It wasn't pretty.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Mild example. Yuma notes she seems to have no idea how much power her fists pack when she punches people.
- Drop the Hammer: In the anime, Marie attacks as a hammer but wielded by Stein, her weapon form becomes a tonfa.
- In the manga she turns into a little hammer similar to "Thor's Hammer" (the symbol), but becomes a tonfa when used by Stein.
- Expy: She bears a close resemblance in physical appearance to Nice Holystone from Baccano!, as far as having the same hair and eye color and sporting an eye patch. They even share the same voice actress, coincidentally.
- Eyepatch of Power
- Heartbroken Badass: After Joe dies.
- Insane Troll Logic: She rationalizes why the toilet would be a good marriage candidate by the fact it takes and accepts anything she gives it.
- Just Friends: States that anything between her and Stein is ancient history. Naturally, they end up an Official Couple.
- Lightning Bruiser: In the manga she's this on her own. With her help, a compatible Meister can beat on someone so fast the victim doesn't even know what's happening to them. She calls this technique "Izuna", but also states that it can't be kept on for too long.
- Mama Bear: To her students.
- Meaningful Name:
- In the anime her form actually is a hammer.
- The manga instead emphasises the 'lightning' connection with her ability to allow her meister to move at extremely high speeds, and the 'internal generation' she uses to burn Medusa's snake. Her nickname, "the Crusher," also recalls the mythological hammer.
- Megaton Punch: One of her abilities.
- Morality Chain: Chosen specifically to be Stein's weapon when fighting the Kishin for her healing wavelength.
- No Periods, Period: Averted, at least in conversation. Apparently, Marie's will cause her to talk anyone's ear off.
- No Sense of Direction: She's a DWMA alumna and it takes hours of trial and error for her to get anywhere.
- Official Couple: Had this status with Joe in the manga before the series proper, and again before he died.
- The final chapter shows her carrying Stein's child.
- Pregnant Badass: The final chapter reveals that she's pregnant with Stein's child; Maka's comment early in the chapter implies she was already pregnant during the Battle on the Moon.
- Ship Tease: With Stein.
- Shoryuken: She gives one to Spirit in chapter 70. And not the regular one, but the Metsu Shoryuken◊.
- Silk Hiding Steel: An extremely goofy version, but an example nonetheless. Follows Lord Death's orders to a T (indeed one of the few that showed up when he called after Ashura got out) and is put in charge of quietly reigning in Stein's madness. As for the steel, well, her nickname is "Crushing Weapon."
- Talking Weapon
- Team Mom
- Working with the Ex: When first introduced, Marie quite calmly tells Azusa that Stein's status as her First Love is ancient history. Then she's assigned as his new partner. Then at some point in the series, she and Stein develop at least enough feelings for each other to make a baby.
The Death Scythe in charge of East Asia. She is bookish and analytical and is close friends with Marie. In weapon form she takes the form of a crossbow, able to fire high-velocity spirit shots up to 10 km accurately. She is also an extremely competent information gatherer and tactician, easily finding one of Arachnophobia's labs.
The Death Scythe in charge of South America, Tezca appears to be a man wearing a large grinning bear mask that completely covers his head. His Weapon form is a mirror, worn on the ankle of his Meister, Enrique.
- Alliterative Name
- Badass Creed: "Life and death are bestowed equally on all people. I'm a mirror in which a person is reflected. So, how you die is up to you..."
- Chekhov's Gunman
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Snaps between this and his competent Badass persona in the blink of an eye. For example, after faking his death, he disguises himself by putting on a giant gopher head.
- Cool Mask: That is one freaky bear head.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Faking the Dead: Thought to have been unceremoniously bitten in half, but turns out he used a dummy to fake his death and track Justin Law. Justin Law later decapitated him and checked the body to make sure - the body was real, but Tezca's soul survived..
- The Fighting Narcissist: One of his stated motivations is to create a perfect copy of himself because he thinks he's very good-looking under the mask, but can't reflect himself.
- Implacable Man: First he's seemingly killed by Noah, then he really dies fighting Justin, and now he's appearing in mirrors as some kind of twisted ghost thing. His dialog during this last time seems to imply that he could just come back to life if he found a new body, and may have done so before.
- Killed Off for Real: Averted twice, though his physical body has been destroyed.
- Magic Mirror: He can taking on another's appearance, show his enemies how they're going to die, and create numerous, independent copies of himself, which can rejoin their bodies in unsettling ways when "killed".
- Mask of Power: Subverted; not only does the mask not seem to serve any purpose, but it also makes it impossible for lip-reader Justin Law to understand him. Since they were apparently old friends, this means Justin hung around him for years without catching a single word he said.
- Meaningful Name: "Tezcatlipoca" is the name of an Aztec god associated with mirrors. It literally means "Smoking Mirror" and the way it's separated, gives him his first name as "Mirror" in nahuatl.
- Not Quite Dead: Justin destroyed his body, but not his soul.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He doesn't seem too quick on the uptake and constantly jokes around during combat, but gets serious in a big hurry.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: The man who can make himself look like anybody, but wears a giant bear mask, disguises himself... by replacing the bear mask with a giant gopher mask.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: This seems to be his area of expertise, as we've seen him acting as an independent tracker several times now.
- Shapeshifter Guilt Trip: Possibly. Justin and Medusa both see people they've wronged in the past while looking at him at least.
- Sympathetic Magic: After someone's soul is reflected in his mirror, he can track them wherever they go. He can even reflect his own soul, allowing it to exist after his body is destroyed.
- Talking Weapon
The Russian Death Scythe, also known as the "Magic Bullet". Appears to be an Epic Flail
The Deathscythe in charge of Africa. His weapon form is called "Rainbow Axe".
The Deathscythe in charge of West Asia. His weapon form is a lamp.