open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Some of the main female characters in Baldr Force EXE Resolution, along with upright and sideways variations.
- Rai in Jyu-Oh-Sei, with his twin brother Thor upright next to him, in almost perfect symmetry.
- Makina in Corpse Princess in the Title Sequence, as seen in the page picture to the right.
- In the opening to Azumanga Daioh, it happens with Yukari upside-down and Nyamo right-side up. Then Yukari glares at Nyamo, and their positions are switched.
- Rei's naked silhouette can be seen, reflected upside-down in water, spinning against the dark blue background of the Closing Credits of Neon Genesis Evangelion.
- The OP too: at an early point, Asuka and Rei's naked silhouettes pan over the screen in the background. Asuka is upside-down while Rei is upright.
- The Mind Screw portion of Episode 12 also features this, during the "I am I" stanza of Rei's poem, using an upside-down version of Rei's silhouette from the opening sequence.
- Arcueid in the OP of Shingetsutan Tsukihime, for quite a while even.
- Battler in the Umineko Motion Graphic 6 has a couple of seconds where he's shown upside down, flashing through a sea of memories.
- Several examples from the Sword Art Online anime:
- Asuna in the Closing Credits of the first season's Aincrad arc, diagonally below a right-side up Kirito.
- And in the Phantom Bullet arc, Shino in the Closing Credits and her game character Sinon (along with Death Gun) in the Title Sequence. Twice over in the former, in fact: once as her present self, then again as her 11-year-old self, when she shot and killed a would-be robber who threatened her mother.
- Leafa in the Caliber arc's Closing Credits.
- In the anime of Higurashi: When They Cry:
- In the first season's opening, two images of Mion appear, lying on their side, nude, and curled in fetal positions, each with her head by the other's knees. Their pinkies are interlocked. Actually, one is Mion (a very large tattoo can be seen covering her entire back), and the other is Shion (her back is normal).
- In the ending of Kai, Rena and Mion are lying next to each other in empty space, facing opposite directions, framed by flowers.
- In the visually symbolic intro of episode 6 of Kai, each member of the circle of friends is displayed, one by one, except Mion and Shion, who appear back-to-back, with Shion upside-down.
- And in the same intro, Rika herself appears upside-down, with a closeup of her eyes opening.
- In the opening to The World Ends with You, Shiki is shown upside-down next to mirror image of her right-side up. This is an outright spoiler that can only be seen in hindsight. Shiki has Eri's appearance, so there really are two Shikis. We're confused too.
- Sora briefly in the OP to Kingdom Hearts I.
- Happens late in the story with the title protagonist of Wadanohara, when Princess Mikotsu briefly manages to trap her in a Lotus-Eater Machine.
- In Dreaming Mary:
- Mary herself on the title screen.
- Most endings have the end credits with Mary being pictured in this fashion behind them, surrounded by images of her 'friends' as she descends into darkness. An unusual example in that the player has to move her down the portrait with the arrow keys to make the credits scroll and end the game.