Characters: Sengoku Youko
Back to Sengoku Youko
open/close all folders
- Actual Pacifist: She has never resorted to violence in combat, instead opting to enable Jinka's Super Mode. In Part 2, she resorts to illusions to avoid engaging in direct combat.
- Admiring the Abomination/Freakiness Shame: Tama thinks Jinka's Beast God form is magnificent, though she still wants to turn him back into a human.
- Anguished Declaration of Love: When Jinka becomes the Beast God and starts rampaging, Tama tries to sooth him by professing her love for him and agreeing to marry him. It works… until the Mountain Goddess teleports her away.
- Berserker Tears: When she sees the Tribe of the Void have mind-controlled Shakugan.
- Blood Magic: Jinka's Spiritual Awakening is activated by drinking her blood.
- The Chessmaster: Has shades of this, using - or at least trying to use - her oratory skills to nonviolently diffuse conflicts.
- Even the Girls Want Her: Tsukiko expresses a great degree of... "admiration" towards Tama when they first meet.
- Fanservice Pack: When she shows up in Chapter 39 she appears to have become older, or at least more "developed" following the feedback from Jinka's One-Winged Angel.
- Important Haircut: Inverted. Tama's hair grows longer when Jinka absorbs so much energy that it feeds back into her and keeps him in demon mode.
- Interrupted Cooldown Hug: She is able to bring Beast God Jinka back to his senses, but the Mountain Goddess teleports her away, which causes him to lapse back into his Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Kitsune: As her name Youko suggests.
- Master of Illusion: Has been shown to be able to create small illusions, which she uses to defend herself. After the time skip, she has powered up significantly due to her being apprenticed to another demon.
- May-December Romance: She's a youko of a hundred years, while Jinka is a human in his teens. Doesn't stop them from having romantic feelings for each other, which is confirmed when Tama tells a maddened Jinka at the end of the first arc that she will always love him, even if he can't turn back into a human now.
- Naked First Impression: Tama first meets Tsukiko in a hot spring, and the latter couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful she is.
- Official Couple: Jinka proposes to her before the final battle, and when he transforms into the Beast God she accepts in an effort to calm him down. She even spends 8 years searching for him.
- Older Than They Look: Is around a hundred years of age, but pre-timeskip has the body of a young teenager.
- Training from Hell: Tama spends ten years alone in her mind meditating - while only a day passes in real time due to the Mountain Goddess manipulating space-time. This causes an increase in her spiritual power, and actually shocks Jinun and Senya into silence when this is revealed during the battle.
- Red Baron: She becomes known as the Golden Youko post timeskip.
- Unusual Ears: Possesses both fox ears and human ears.
- We Help the Helpless: As she says, she and Jinka are the saviour siblings of the world.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses an arm fighting Jinun, though he later forms a replacement out of energy.
- Berserk Button: Humans disrespecting demons pisses Jinka off a lot, as do people threatening Tama.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When he starts transforming into the Beast God he gets black sclera.
- Blood Magic: He activates the Spiritual Awakening by drinking Tama's blood.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Collapses immediately after one sip of the orangutan's sake.
- Declaration of Protection: Jinka doesn't really care about Tama's attempt to spread peace and love among humans, but sees himself as her protector and would crush anybody with great prejudice should they attempt to hurt her.
- Decoy Protagonist: After Jinka became a thousand-tailed divine beast, he gave the stage over to Senya after the run of the first arc.
- Rogue Protagonist: As the Void Tribe's tool, his days are spent at their beck and call devouring gods.
- Elemental Punch: The tails that he obtains during Spiritual Awakening function as this.
- Combined Energy Attack: His "Souls of the Five Elements" channels the power of his first five tails into a massive energy ball capable of burning off one of Jinun's arms and seriously injuring Douren.
- Dishing Out Dirt: His first tail grants the ability to summon the Earth God to form a massive fist of earth.
- Playing with Fire: His second tail grants the ability to summon the Inferno Princess, a fire elemental.
- Making a Splash: His third tail grants him the ability to summon the Water Dragon, a water elemental that is used defensively.
- Green Thumb: His fourth tail grants the ability to summon the Elder Tree, which he uses to constrain and restrict opponents.
- Extra Ore Dinary: His fifth tail grants this ability to summon the Silver Blade, a massive sword.
- Shock and Awe: The sixth tail grants him a tail made out of lightning.
- Blow You Away: His seventh tail is a tornado called the God of Wind's Lance and enables him to move at superhuman speed.
- Light 'em Up: the eighth tail is made up of light.
- Casting a Shadow: the ninth tail is made up of darkness.
- Humanoid Abomination: After becoming the 1000-Tailed Fox God, he's so powerful that even the Tribe of the Void are only able to point him in the direction of a god they want killed and watch the ensuing Curb-Stomp Battle. Even the Mountain Goddess was frightened by his vast amount of spiritual energy and that he was blighting the earth around him.
- Flaming Hair: In his Spiritual Awakening his hair appears to be made out of fire.
- Freudian Excuse: The reason he hates humans so much? His real family seemingly abandoned him (they had a good reason) and a couple of his demon friends were killed by humans.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Wants to become a yokai.
- Jagged Mouth: Initially used for comedic effect. Now, not so much.
- Kill The Gods: How the Tribe of the Void seems to be using him, and Jinka doesn't just kill the gods… he eats them.
- Kitsune: His Spiritual Awakening temporarily turns him into one. He later becomes one with 1000 tails after eating the flesh of a Mountain God.
- Likes Older Women: He is quite a lot younger than Tama, and has vowed to marry her once he gets a demon body.
- Magical Eye: Something that bordered on Unusually Uninteresting Sight as none of the characters had cared to mention it until the Mountain Goddess brought it up. It's actually a Fairy Eye, and allows Jinka to see the aura of living things.
- Magnetic Medium: Jinka and his yet to be seen twin brother both possess the fairy eye, and as such, both attract demons when they are together.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Jinka has expressed his hatred of humanity many times in the series, and would much rather be a demon than a human.
- Official Couple: He asks for Tama's hand in marriage once he becomes a demon, and she accepts once he becomes the Thousand-Tailed Demon Fox.
- One-Winged Angel: After eating Taizen the mountain god's flesh he attains nine tails, and when Yazen tricks him into thinking he's killed Tama he transforms into a 1000-tailed kitsune.
- Parental Abandonment: He ended up being left with Kokugetsu Sai because of his fairy eye.
- Simple Staff: His weapon of choice.
- Super Mode: His Spiritual Awakening temporarily turns him into a kitsune. He wants to find a way to make the change permanent.
- Took a Level in Badass: He goes from having four tails at the start of the series to become a thousand-tailed divine beast at the end of the first arc.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: His sanity starts to deteriorate after he eats Taizen's flesh during his fight with Yazen, who takes advantage of that by tricking him into thinking he killed Tama. It backfires when he transforms into the Beast God after succumbing to madness.
- The Alcoholic: Is almost constantly drunk after the first time skip. He cleans himself up during the second time-skip.
- Ax-Crazy: Aimed only towards Resshin, though. He gets better.
- Character Development: And how. He's changed from a cowardly, near-useless swordsman to a rage-filled Determinator with only revenge on his mind. Luckily he gets over it.
- Determinator: Nothing could dissuade him from following Jinka and Tama on their journey. When he was younger, the insults of his swords master did nothing to stop him from attempting to learn the sword too.
- Evil Weapon: He was given the cursed sword Arabuki, which lets its master fly and launch powerful gusts of wind, by Zanzou. Following Shakugan's defeat, he constructs a stereotypical "wants to take over its wielder" persona for it. The evil part is ultimately subverted as Akaburi snaps him out of his Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- He Who Fights Monsters: He nearly succumbs to this following Shakuyaku being Taken for Granite. Don't worry, he gets better
- Hidden Depths: Was the first to complete the Mountain Goddess' training.
- Known Only by Their Nickname: Shinsuke is his warrior name. His real name is Takekichi. Only Barry, Tama, and Yamato know this.
- Nice Guy: By the Time Skip he's treating demons and humans as equals, even reforming evil demons that Senya brings into good villagers.
- Put on a Bus: He and Raizou have been sealed inside a protected village as a result of a deal with Hanatora. They're still trying to find a way out eight years later.
- Tagalong Kid: Decided to follow Jinka and Tama after seeing them with the bandits.
- Took a Level in Badass: After Shakugan's sacrifice he became serious.
- Training from Hell: Courtesy of the Mountain Goddess over the time skip, though it apparently amounted to a series of Curb Stomp Battles not in Shinsuke's favor.
- Action Girl: She's the best fighter after Jinka in the group.
- Boobs of Steel: Has the largest bust of the female main characters in the first arc and is the strongest physical fighter among them.
- Go Out with a Smile: After being stabbed by Resshin she transforms into a stone, but her last expression is a smile.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Held out longer than Douren during their drinking battle.
- Heroic Sacrifice: They sacrificed themselves to protect a defenceless Tama and a woman giving birth.
- The Ingenue: Was quite embarrassed when she had to go sleeveless in order to allow her new body-changing powers to have more effect.
- More Than Mind Control: They are being controlled by the Tribe of the Void.
- Naked on Revival: When the Tribe of the Void freed her she was stark naked.
- Official Couple: She is obviously in love with Shinsuke, and he with her.
- Sharing a Body: Shakuyaku and Kagan are quite happy with this arrangement, as it were.
- She's Back: She is reawakened and mind-controlled by the Tribe of the Void in Chapter 69.
- Stripperiffic: Her current "wardrobe" consists of a rock bra and skirt, and nothing else.
- Taken for Granite: Exhausts her spiritual power to prevent a boulder Resshin dislodged from crushing a cabin containing Tama and a pregnant woman and turns to stone as a result.
- Big Bad: Of the first arc.
- Brilliant but Lazy: He's extremely intelligent but lacks motivation beyond his experiments.
- Combat Pragmatist: Knows that he has no way of going up against a pissed-off mountain god, and would rather run than stay to fight.
- Takes advantage of Jinka's deteriorating sanity by tricking him into thinking he killed Tama. It backfires.
- Enemy Mine: He and Kuzunoha end up in the care of the Mountain Goddess.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Would rather let Taizan rampage and destroy his lab rather than risk revealing Kuzunoha to the Dangaishu.
- Evil Genius: Say what you like about him, but Yazen has came up with plenty of nifty inventions - the most prominent being human-demon fusion.
- For Science!: His experiments are directed towards turning Kuzunoha into a human. The human transformation? That's just a byproduct of it.
- Love at First Sight: With Kuzunoha, no less.
- Super Mode: Can use the same Spiritual Awakening as Jinka.
- Battle Cry: Breaks the illusion of a Tanuki with a shout.
- The Dragon: Both literally and figuratively.
- For Great Justice: His only motivation is dispensing justice to the enemies of the Dangaishu.
- Honor Before Reason: Allows Jinka to land the first blow during the fight at the Mountain Goddess' mountain.
- Knight Templar: Is utterly dedicated to the Dangaishu.
- My Greatest Failure: His failure to protect his wife was what led him to join the Dangaishu and offer his young son up for experimentation.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Wasn't affected at all when a Tanuki - in the form of a pretty woman - ripped her clothes off.
- Older Than They Look: Yazen has stated that both Jinun and Douren were the same age as him. Fusion with demons may have slowed down the effects of old age.
- One-Winged Angel: After being taken over by the Tribe of the Void he becomes more monstrous in appearance.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His real name is Kumozou, and as a child he was friends with a dog demon named Furuon.
- Our Dragons Are Different: He is a monk imbued with the power of the ancient dragon god Nadare.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: The results of him picking a fight with the Mountain Goddess.
- The Stoic: Doesn't seem to be fazed by anything.
- Super Mode: He can transform into an anthropomorphic dragon.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: Has an ongoing rivalry with Douren.
- Worthy Opponent: Sees Jinka as this. He's also inwardly impressed by his son's growth.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: No-one can accuse Douren of subtlety.
- Boisterous Bruiser: He may be built like a tank and hit like a train, but he loves to have fun.
- Blood Knight: Lives for a fight, and believes anything can be communicated through a good fight.
- Dirty Old Man: Gets a Horny Nosebleed when a mind-controlled nekomata shows him her ta-tas.
- Even Evil Has Standards: While not evil per sae, he is horrified and enraged when he learns Resshin deliberately sent a boulder loaded with cursed talismans rolling towards a hut with a pregnant woman inside.
- Friendly Enemy: Engages in a drinking contest with the main group during their first meeting.
- Heel-Face Turn: Joins Senya's group in fighting the Tribe of the Void.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: His fighting style is based on boxing.
- Lightning Bruiser: A giant tiger-demon fusion whose fists can shatter rocks and is faster than Jinka's Spiritual Awakening form.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: His ultimate move is essentially summoning his own fist in order to launch a flurry of punches.
- Older Than They Look: Yazen has stated that both Jinun and Douren were the same age as him. Fusion with demons may have slowed down the effects of old age.
- Punch Clock Villain: Has shades of this. Has actually cultivated a friendship with orangutan demons after they saved him during a fight with a tiger demon.
- Super Mode: He can transform into an anthropomorphic tiger.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: Has an ongoing rivalry with Jinun. Actually joined the Dangaishu because of this.
- Eventually takes Mudo as a travelling partner.
- Ax-Crazy: Is violently insane and loves it.
- Blood Knight: He enjoys killing more than anything else.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Has a body made out of curses, and carries around a bag that can spew out anything. Towards the end of the first arc, Resshin has been modified by Yazen so much that he resembles a giant tank. Subverted by the fact that Yazen states that Resshin is "nothing more than a heap of trash glued together".
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You
- A World Half Full: Possibly views the world this way, given this quote - "I love being free to kill and kill all I want, for this world is already half rotten!"
- Alas, Poor Villain: Is set up as a traitor and executed by Resshin.
- Dishing Out Dirt: Is fused to a rock demon.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Dearly loves her brother and did everything to make him happy.
- Evil Counterpart: To Shakugan, as both are fused to rock demons but while Shakugan embraced the demon Higan dominated it. Adding further, their demons were friends.
- Grand Theft Me: Crushed the mind of the demon she was fused to.
- Naughty Nuns: While she's not a nun per sae, she is an exorcist working for a Buddhist monastery, and one of the first things she does upon meeting the main cast is lift her skit, though she transforms her lower body before anything revealing anything indecent.
- Badass Pacifist: Is trying his darndest to be this in Part II. Doesn't work. Slips up when a mad god attacked him, but he later finds a way to make it work.]]
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: He can enter into a the mental worlds of those being controlled by the Tribe of the Void.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Shinsuke states that when he first met Senya and looked into his eyes, he saw a river of blood.
- Break Her Heart To Save Her: Leaves Tsukiko behind to go after his father and the Tribe of the Void, fearing that one day he would become something neither demon nor human like Jinka.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Is essentially a demon who wants to be human, in contrast to Jinka being a human who wanted to be a demon.
- Empathic Weapon: Acquires a katana containing the soul of Yoshiteru.
- Enlightenment Superpowers: During the final battle against the Tribe of the Void, he lets go of his fear and hatred and attains enlightenment, becoming immensely more powerful and capable of purging the Tribe of the Void's influence by simply touching their victims.
- Good Eyes, Evil Eyes: Depends on the situation.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Takes Furuon's pipe as a memento.
- Heel-Face Turn: After getting Laser-Guided Amnesia he becomes the protagonist of the second arc.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Heading down this route, as he has stated that he wants to become a human in recent chapters.
- Kamehame Hadoken: His Roaring Thunder Blast technique fires a focused beam of ki.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: He had completely forgotten whatever that has happened before the Mountain Goddess sealed him in the current arc. He regains his memories, and decides to leave behind his past at the Dangaishu.
- Living MacGuffin: The Tribe of the Void are after the Jewel of 1000 Wonders sealed inside his body.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: Courtesy of having 1000 demons sealed inside him.
- Many Spirits Inside of One: The souls of the 1000 yokai inside him initially appears as a black mass with multiple sets of eyes and jagged mouths. He later learns the names of each and every one of them, letting them individually manifest within his mindscape.
- Martial Pacifist: Post time-skip, he doesn't like fighting, but he will if he has to.
- Puppy Love: He certainly blushes a lot around Tsukiko. All but confirmed when he states he really likes her in Chapter 44.
- The Reveal: Senya is a descendant of the Tribe of the Void, the group of cloaked figures behind Jinka's transformation into the Beast God and the ones driving the Land Gods insane.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: He was sealed after the fight with the Mountain Goddess when he tried to rescue Jinun. He has currently been unsealed and is now with Shinsuke and Tsukiko.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Has a thousand demons fused into his body, and is hailed as a future demon god who has the potential to become even more powerful than Jinun.
- Shipper on Deck: Not Senya, but his demons are rabid Senya x Tsukiko fans.
- The Stoic: Shares this with Jinun, although he starts developing out of this after his Heel-Face Turn.
- Tyke Bomb: Fused with a thousand demons at the age of eight years and is one of the best fighters in the series. To put things into perspective, this eight year-old kid shreds apart two tengu demons whom Jinka has stated as possessing great spiritual power in a few seconds.
- Weak, but Skilled: In comparison to Mudo.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: It turns out that Senya is Jinun's son. To better understand this, Senya has been calling Jinun "Master" from the beginning of the series and only revealed the fact that he was Jinun's son when he was trying to save the other from the Mountain Goddess.
- White Hair, Black Heart: When he was a member of the Dangaishu. Subverted once he becomes the protagonist.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: The 1000 demons sealed inside him are terrified of dragons. They get over it during Senya's match with Mudo.
- Worthy Opponent: Comes to see Mudo as such during their fight.
"Humans, Demons & Others"
- Badass: Earned the name Phoenix Killer and kept on picking fights with the Mountain Goddess even after countless losses.
- Dirty Old Man: His ghost possesses Taizan's body and tries to sexually assault Tsukiko, and openly ogles her and Tama during the Beach Episode.
- Face-Heel Turn/Evil All Along: Proclaims himself the master of "the wrong way, the Way of the Wicked" as a ghost.
- Old Friend: It turns out he and Yazen used to be buddies, and he used to be friends with Tama as well.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: As a ghost he's strong enough to possess a god.
- Promotion to Parent: Looked after Jinka when his parents abandoned him.
- Red Baron: The Phoenix Killer, which he presumably earned by killing a phoenix.
- Right Under Their Noses: As an evil spirit, he thinks he's doing this by possessing Taizen, and forces Tsukiko and Nao to keep his presence a secret. Senya figures him out anyways, as he remarks that he's been training Tsukiko in sword fighting.
- Verbal Tic: Occasionally ends his sentences with "fueh".
The Mountain Goddess
- Awesome by Analysis: Can predict an opponent's attacks by analyzing their eye movements.
- Badass Adorable: She's a blushing, soft-spoken little girl who can beat the crap out of a lower-class demon with a wooden sword, and who actually dares to stand up for Senya against a dragon demon.
- Badass Normal: Has defeated Tago twice and stood up to Mudo. She also attacks Jinun without hesitating in order to protect Senya and the Mountain Goddess.
- Boobs of Steel: She's a competent fighter despite possessing no powers, and post timeskip her bust rivals Shakugan's.
- Damsel in Distress: Is captured by Mudo in order to provoke Senya.
- Deal with the Devil: Was willing to learn Kokugetsu Sai's Way of the Wicked if it could protect Senya.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Her father was killed during a rampage by a mad god.
- Declaration of Protection: States that she will fight for Senya if he doesn't want to fight any more.
- Determinator: Tags along with Shinsuke and Senya regardless of Shinsuke trying to dissuade her from following them.
- Dual Wielding: Post-timeskip she keeps a pair of wakizashi, at least one of which was forged from the pieces of Arabuki, hidden in her cloak.
- Hidden Depths: Is very, very good with a sword. Yoshiteru, the man whom Raidou Zanzou said was a natural genius, stated that she had talent with a blade.
- I Just Want to Be Badass: She is depressed about not being powerful enough to protect Senya.
- Master Swordsman: Is good enough with a blade to cut down an earth god, despite only being a human.
- Official Couple: It's obvious to everyone that she's in love with Senya.
- Paper Talisman: Uses ones imbued with lightning magic as an adult.
- Puppy Love: Senya and her relationship seems to be going this way. Which is all but confirmed when Senya states in Chapter 44 that he really likes her.
- She Is All Grown Up: After the 8-year Time Skip she has matured into a competent and attractive young woman.
- Shock and Awe: One of her wakizashi, Itakebi, is imbued with lightning magic. She also employs lightning-based paper talismans against Jinun.
- Tagalong Kid: Reminds Shinsuke of his pre-Took a Level in Badass self.
- Took a Level in Badass: Following the second timeskip she is capable of taking on Jinun.
The Tribe Of The Void
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: Inflict this on their victims by invading their mental worlds and taking on the shape of their strongest foes.
- Big Bad: Of Part 2, as they go around driving gods insane.
- Bigger Bad: In Part 1 they are the cloaked figures who pop up intermittently.
- Genre Savvy: Their leader realizes that Senya is a Shounen Protagonist that fate decrees win in one-on-one combat so they plan to raise an army so that he dies in an epically flashy manner.
- Gone to the Future: They are Senya's ancestors from a time long past, and their goal is to save their people.
- Hellish Pupils: They have slitted pupils, one of which is white.
- Killed Off for Real: Jinka kills two of the five in his first battle with them.
- Kill The Gods: What seems to be their current objective, as they are sicing Jinka on various deities and turning the ones they find useful into psychotic slaves.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Intend to pit Senya against Jinka in order to obtain the Jewel of 1000 Wonders imbedded in his body, and use it and Jinka's power to change the fate of their homeland.
- Living Shadow: Their bodies are made up of tattered scraps of darkness in the shape of human bodies.
- Magical Eye: They have the Fairy Eye, like Jinka.
- Master of Illusion: They can take on the appearance of anything and anyone.
- Mind Rape: What they do to create Mad Gods, and even possess minor demons.
- No Sell: They walked through Jinka's attacks like they weren't even there during his fight with Douren.
- More Than Mind Control: Can inflict this on gods and demons, either driving them insane or turning them into slaves.
- Scarf of Asskicking: The youngest member - who is also their leader, wears a scarf made of the same darkness as his body.
- The Smurfette Principle: Only one of their members is a woman.
- Walking Spoiler: Gee, you think?
- White Hair, Black Heart: Their hair is silver, and they are the main villains of Part 2.