Clouds that are solid, like platforms.
Probably occurring due to the image of clouds in the sky, combined with their apparently solid appearance.
Can have several uses. Sometimes, people, gods
live on them, removed from man's sight. Others use them as Cool Airships
See also Bubbly Clouds
and Fluffy Cloud Heaven
. Contrast Fake Platform
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Flying Nimbus from Dragon Ball, which Goku rides around on before he learns to fly on his own, would probably apply.
- The sky islands in One Piece use various kinds of clouds, some of them solid (most notably the islands themselves).
- "Mickey and the Beanstalk", a segment of the Disney film Fun and Fancy Free. The giant's castle rests on a solid cloud.
- On Dumbo, the Delivery Stork carrying Dumbo sits on a cloud to rest and get his bearings. The bundle with Dumbo inside is a little too heavy, though, and the stork has to keep stopping it from falling through.
- The cupids from the "Pastoral Symphony" segment of Fantasia sleep on clouds. Also, Zeus and Vulcan are seen working on them.
- Jack And The Beanstalk: The giant's castle that Jack visits via the beanstalk is in the clouds.
- Clouds in Xanth; there's also at least one castle up there.
- Handwaved in "The Snowmen" Christmas special of Doctor Who. They can stand on the cloud because it's specially made of "super-dense water vapor".
- Dungeons & Dragons:
- Some cloud giants live on magical cloud islands.
- In early editions, there was a potion that could make clouds it was poured onto solid.
- Module WG7 Castle Greyhawk, Level 4 "There's No Place Like Up". If the PCs climb up a magical rope, they can walk on solid clouds floating high in the air.
- Deities And Demigods Cyclopedia
- The Chinese mythos deity Chih Sung-Tzu rides a storm cloud that can support up to 10 beings of any size.
- The Japanese mythos deity Susanowo can often be found riding a storm cloud.
- In the Sumerian mythos, all of the deities have clouds that they can ride on. The clouds can teleport to any place that has clouds in the sky, are immune to all attacks and can carry anything the controlling deity wishes.
- In The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, in one of the later dungeons, there are clouds you can walk on. Also, there are such clouds you need to explore in order to get to the dungeon in the first place.
- Common in the Mario series, where clouds can serve as platforms and even modes of transportation in the case of Lakitus.
- In Sky Sanctuary in Sonic & Knuckles, solid clouds serve as trampolines in order to reach higher areas. This is carried over into its appearance in Sonic Generations.
- In Mega Man 2, there are solid clouds in Air Man's stage. Subverted because you can blatantly see a propeller under it and there is a solid platform one layer behind the cloud.
- Some, but not all clouds in Secret Agent. Other times, you need to find goggles that let you "see invisible platforms" so that platforms appear under the clouds and allow you to walk on them.
- Clouds are solid in Eversion, but only on the third layer. They're decorative on all other layers.
- Atlantis No Nazo has boots that let you walk on clouds.
- Averted in Glider PRO, where clouds aren't solid objects. Of course, that would be a bad thing in Glider.
- Might And Magic: World of Xeen has a downplayed version on the top of every tower on both sides: the clouds aren't actually solid — you'll fall down and take a lot of damage if you just try to walk out on them — but they do count as ground for the purposes of the Levitate spell.
- Clouds in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic are a strange example. The only ones who can interact with them as if they are solid are pegasi, whose job as a race is to manage the weather. Griffons and other flying animals can sit on clouds as well. For most other ponies, clouds act as they would in real life without magical assistance.
- Care-A-Lot, home of the Care Bears, is a land of clouds that are solid enough to stand on, but soft enough to poke one's head through to observe the world below.
- Avatar The Last Airbender: Lampshaded in the Water Bending Scroll. Katara mentions that she would love to walk on the clouds passing by. Aang tests this, concluding that "Clouds are made of water."
- 1973/74 Superfriends episode "Menace of the White Dwarf". The villain Raven has his aerial base on a solid cloud.
- On Animaniacs, when the Warners try to convince the giant from Jack And The Beanstalk to try gold eggs and meat:
Yakko: Eat them, eat them, on a cloud.
Giant: Oh, all right, for crying out loud! [eats it] Mmm! Gold eggs and meat I do not hate.
- The Pixar short "Partly Cloudy" features not only solid, but sentient clouds, capable of holding (and creating) the new-born creatures they produce, and all manner of other objects.