Thomas "The Amazing Atheist" Kirk (or as he ironically calls himself, the god of the Godless) is an atheist who has been making videos on YouTube since joining the site on November 20, 2006. Although the subject matter of his earlier videos centered almost entirely around atheism and anti-theism, he rarely deals with those topics today. Instead, most of his current videos are either social commentary or purely comedic in nature.
His style is loud, boisterous, and unapologetically offensive. However, he claims that these are his honest opinions. The Amazing Atheist never has even the slightest qualm about speaking his mind, despite sounding offensive to various targets. That hasn't stopped him from making quite a few enemies, especially because of his strident anti-radical-feminism. In recent years, he has befriended author and activist Howard Bloom, and has given Bloom the floor on several topics. He also co-hosts the Drunken Peasants podcast with Ben and, on occasion, his brother Scotty.
He has also written four books: In Defense of Evil, Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman, Final Revelation, and Neckbeard Uprising. Like most of his videos, the books are part philosophical, part comedic, and part autobiographical.
When not using the Amazing Atheist moniker, he often goes by T.J., Terroja, or The Distressed Watcher. His YouTube channel can be found here. His alternate channel, TJdoeslife, where he posts off-topic videos, Q & As, and other things that wouldn't fit on his main channel, can be found here. Though he was forced to take down most of his older videos in early 2009 due to YouTube's increasingly strict censorship policies, you can watch a few hundred of them here if you are so inclined.
Notable Tropes Invoked by the Amazing Atheist:
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: In a recent video, The Amazing Atheist is mad that he never gets offered sex by gay Republicans in the men's room.
- Atomic F-Bomb: From "The Diner Bizotch":She ain't no minor bitch / No, she's a MAJOR FUCKING BIIIIITCH!!!
- Author Filibuster: The entire point of the channel is to show his opinions.
- Berserk Button: He has many, but a notable one in the PWNED: Stupidest Youtuber Ever video is when he went berserk over the troll admitting that Mario was fictional but real at the same time. Other infamous targets of TJ's wrath include white supremacists, radical feminists, Justin Beiber, and Ron Paul.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: With FakeSagan. And his brother Scotty. And Cody Weber. And Galen/Hallcyon. Hell, never mind, T.J., who besides being heavyset is 6'7"/2 meters tall, fits this trope when he's with any of his friends.
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: Deliberately invoked with "TJeatsgrapes", after used it as an example of a deliberately pointless idea. The fans loved it, and demanded its creation.
- Blasphemous Praise: He once said "I'm an atheist, but if I was going to worship a god, it would be Pixar."
- Brick Joke: In his April Fools' Day video, he twice teases yelling OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAND! Then, after about 20 seconds of black, he does it for those still watching.
- Catchphrase: It's the quote for this page. Also his end card: "I'm The Amazing Atheist, peace the fuck out!"
- Caustic Critic: His Distressed Watcher material is caustic even by That Guy with the Glasses standards.
- Country Matters: Is not averse to this, though his usage of it is comparatively fewer and farther between than with other words.
- Dagwood Sandwich: The Slaughterhouse. A sandwich composed of the Baconator from Wendy's and the Double Down from Kentucky Fried Chicken.Terroja: The taste of death is sweet.
- Don't Explain the Joke: He spends the first part of his Dungeons & Dragons review joking about all the characters wanting "the rod," and explains the joke at length in the second part.
- Double Entendre: The titles of his videos, "Penetrating Teenage Girls' Minds" and "Thrusting into Teenage Girls' Minds".
- Fan Disservice: Any time he pulls up his shirt to reveal his man tits.
- Fat Bastard: Has more-or-less referred to himself as this on a few occasions.
- Forced Meme: He has tried to make his "Blueberry Pie" video the new Rickroll. It failed.
- Metaphorgotten: "Those who live in glass houses can't throw diamond encrusted dildos..."
- Never Trust a Trailer: The Distressed Watcher's Trailer Failure
- Never Trust a Title: He prefaces most of his sporadic film reviews with "WORST MOVIE EVER?!" He's just as likely to give them positive or mixed reviews, however.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: He more-or-less used this to describe his fiction writing style in one of his videos.
- Noodle Implements: He once got embroiled in a sex scandal involving chocolate syrup, pot coffee, and a banana.
- Sanity Slippage: Happens over the course of his review of Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever.
- Screw Yourself: He has expressed interest in having sex with a clone of himself a couple of times.
- Self-Deprecation: He has been known to frequently take potshots at his own appearance, political beliefs, and other facets of his life.
- Shout-Out: The title of his parody Q&A series "The Wrong Advices" is from the way Ahnold said it in Pumping Iron.
- You Keep Using That Word: Discussed in a video in which TJ talks about common phrases people use without thinking about what they actually mean.The Amazing Atheist: Here's something people say after some kind of tragedy or things don't turn out as planned, someone will always say, "You know, it is what it is." And it's always with that sage like tone as if we should be in awe of them for taking that common saying and infusing it with such weight and wisdom. It is what it is... yeah it is... IS what it is. Obviously! Of course it is what it is! That's what it is! That is like saying yellow is yellow.