2010 Xbox 360 Arcade game by Halfbrick Studios that combines both quick platforming and block puzzles. The cast consists of skeleton creatures known as "Raskulls" who must retrieve some "Shiny Stones" from a Rat Pirate group called the Pirats... That's pretty much the whole plot.
A sequel, titled Magic Brick Wars was softlaunched in 2018 and released globally the next year. However, it's a multiplayer-focused real-time strategy game.
Not related to the line of children's bicycle helmets that resemble animals and monsters or the 1986 game Robot Rascals.
Raskulls provides examples of:
- Authority Equals Asskicking: In chapter 3, King sets out on a quest to get the Shiny Stone, stolen earlier by Pirats. He's available as one of the playble characters in Multiplayer mode.
- Brick Joke: Literally. See Visual Pun bellow.
- Butt-Monkey: Dragon. Throughout the first chapter, he is constantly hit by King's bricks, gets dumped by Riding Hood, and after he ends up winning the Shiny Stone from the tournament, it gets stolen by Captain J. Turncoat.
- Chekhov's Volcano: Dropping Shiny Stones here was enough to make it erupt. It's actually full of cheese.
- Dem Bones
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": All the Raskulls are named after their occupation.
- Fission Mailed: After Dragon gets dumped by Riding Hood for Pompous, player is greeted with a game over screen, like the one that appears after failing a level. You can either "Wallow in self-pity" or "Get on with life". Then the game continues as normal.
- Frothy Mugs of Water: In second chapter, Wizard asks Ninja for Jungle Juice.
- Fun with Acronyms: Super Nuclear Ultra Gem Grabbing Laser Extraction System. (S.N.U.G.G.L.E.S.) There's also C.U.D.D.L.E.M.U.F.F.I.N., which is so long, Scurv gets stopped before he could say it's full name.
- Guest Fighter: Mr. Destructoid, Ilo, Doug from A World of Keflings and Barry Steakfries.
- He Knows About Timed Hits
- Heroic Mime: Dragon and Ninja don't talk at all.
- Macguffin: Shiny Stones.
- No Fourth Wall: And how.
- RockPaperScissors: King suggests to play this game with Turncoat to see who gets both Shiny Stones. Turncoat chooses "Ship with lots of cannons". Final Boss Battle Ensues.
- The Smurfette Principle: Lampshaded with Red Riding Hood.Wizard: Why is Ridinghood is the only girl around here, anyway? It's almost like the Raskully creators overlooked the whole gender banance thing...
- Smoke Out: Ninja
- Space Pirates: Captain J. Turncoat, Scurv and Barney, a group of Space Rat Pirates.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Red Riding Hood is the only Raskull with hair and eyelashes.
- Visual Pun: Those bricks that King throws (all of which appear to hit Dragon) are actually half bricks. You can see it clearly during the ending, when Dragon returns the favor and pelts King with one.
- You Dirty Rat!
Magic Brick Wars provides examples of:
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: Skellywag wears a bandana on his head.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Confuse Brick does this to any troop (Except for Mummy, who is immune to it) no matter the team. It's effect wears off shortly.
- Cartoon Bomb: Smoke Bomb looks like one. It makes troops invisible for short duriation of time.
- Fragile Speedster: Devil
- Guest Fighter: Barry returns as one of selectable avatars, accomplained by other characters from Halfbrick titles: Truffles, Rory, Micro, Zombie T-Rex and Dan The Man.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Be carefull when you place Confuse Brick, it can affect your units as well.
- Kill It with Fire: Fire Brick and Fireball. Witch Doctor throws these as a projectile and Dragon uses it for short-range attack on adjacent lanes.
- Kill It with Ice: Ice Brick and Cold Snap.
- Master of Disguise: Riding Hood can disguise herself as any Raskull unit untill she gets hit. She does not replicates their stats, though.
- Mighty Glacier: Viking. Mummy qualifies as well, being immune to some of the Magic Bricks.
- Mook Maker: "From the Grave", which spawns few weak troops on the field.
- Russian Reversal: Duck's Description:In Raskulls, ducks feed you.
- Pirate's description states, that he's obsessed with pineapples under the sea.
- Witch Doctor's description makes a reference to the famous "Witch Doctor" song:Old mate Witch Doctor will tell you what to do, the game will be yours when you say: Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang.
- Spiked Roller's descripton is a first lyric from Ridin
- Alongside Guest Fighters mentioned above, there are plenty of Emotes, Stickers and Banners that reference Halfbrick's previous games.